Eating plan for a new runner? (Read 704 times)

rolltidefl

Question....I'm out of shape.. 28 yrs old, about 155 lbs and am just getting into running, hiking, and probably biking. I don't weigh a whole lot but I just feel gross. I'd like to start following some sort of guidelines to eating along with the running (couch to 5k plan). I dont know if its just follow the usual...watch high fat, high sodium, junk food , etc or something else so I thought I'd ask you all what would be a good thing to start doing...whether its a plan or like I said guidelines let me know Smile Also, should you eat every couple of hours to keep the metabolism up? RTR
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just mainly try to avoid overly processed foods, transfats, and other things that are unhealthy no matter how they are looked at. Things like white flour, white sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated _____, basically sticking to as many whole, fresh foods as possible. This means more work, but I do believe that we truly are what we eat. The quality of fuel going into my body directly affects my body's ability to heal after workouts. I look at it this way, after surgery almost every doctor will recommend a diet that is "clean," ie high in protein and colorful veggies, fruits, berries, whole grains, etc. Lots of nutrient-dense foods. The reason for this is to give your body the most of what it needs to heal. Exercise also requires healing, since what builds muscle is damaging the tissues, first, then the repair work is what builds them stronger. I always take a multi-vitamin, too...to fill in the gaps. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Gig

I have a diet plan that works great, and you need to do it when you're working out a lot, anyway. Drink plenty of water. That's it. I try to drink at least a half gallon every day. Once I started doing that, healthier eating followed naturally.
        jharlock

Make sure you get plenty of carbs and protein, the carbs for the energy, protein to help increase your muscle base. I'm training for a half marathon in a few weeks and I've moved onto wholemeal bread rolls with a peanut butter and banana filling. I have cereal for breakfast and snack on plenty of fresh fruit - apples, nuts etc. After your run ensure you eat some decent energy foods (pasta etc) within about half hour if you can stomach it and keep your fluid levels up. For every kg of lb of weight you lose ensure you drink half a litre to replace it. Sports drinks are good if possible (lucozade replaces your lost fluids well). All the best and good luck.
            While I was training for my first half marathon (and hoping to lose a few pounds!) I found www.SparkPeople.com . It lets you input the amount of cardio you do every week and what your dietary goals are. So far I've lost about 25 pounds and cut about 20+ minutes off of my half marathon time using the site. You can track various nutrients in your diet as well as any cardiovascular activity. It was a real eye opener for me to realize just how much sodium was in my diet and how little protein I was actually eating. My diet is much healthier now and it really shows. Wink If you check it out, I'm tbarton there too. Check out my SparkPage. Smile They also have a great Rookie Runners forum (though some of us there aren't so much Rookies any more. LOL!) Teresa
            scrumhalfgirl

While I was training for my first half marathon (and hoping to lose a few pounds!) I found www.SparkPeople.com . It lets you input the amount of cardio you do every week and what your dietary goals are. So far I've lost about 25 pounds and cut about 20+ minutes off of my half marathon time using the site. You can track various nutrients in your diet as well as any cardiovascular activity. It was a real eye opener for me to realize just how much sodium was in my diet and how little protein I was actually eating. My diet is much healthier now and it really shows. Wink If you check it out, I'm tbarton there too. Check out my SparkPage. Smile They also have a great Rookie Runners forum (though some of us there aren't so much Rookies any more. LOL!) Teresa
              I thought I recognized your profile pic!

-Jess