Anyone here run a HM in 2:30 or more? (Read 976 times)

Don't call me Buttercup!

When I first started running, I said I'd never run a HM, because I'm pretty slow, and I had no desire to spend 3 hours running (unless, of course, I magically got fast and could cover the full 26.2 in that time).   Almost a year later, I've changed my tune, and despite my slowness, I've signed up for a HM.  

Now, though, I'm wondering if I'm crazy.  Has anyone here run a HM that took over 2:30?  Maybe even closer to 3 hours?  I'm just wondering how the experience was.    

Thanks! 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Lynx

I was and still am slow.  (Surprisingly I am still running ;-) )

The first one I run was 2:23.. which is close to your 2:30. My aim was to finish.

It did not matter that it took so long, the atmosphere was good and the crowds were supportive and the air temperature was good for running-  I was feeling fine and I had fun.

I had much more trouble this spring, when I finished in similar time, but the run was in May (about 30°C) and it was way too hot for me. 

So I'd say- do not worry! If you can manage the distance and expect (more or less) decent weather - go for it and have fun. It can only get better  in the future. 

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Me! I've done 5 HM, and my fastest was 2:41 (12:20 pace). First: walked, finished in 3:30. 2nd: ran the whole thing, but died in last couple of miles. 3:07:07. 3rd: Worst training of any of them, ran some, walked some, ran a little, walked a lot. 3:28--barely faster than the one we walked all of. 4th: Much better training, that's the 2:41. 5th: Best training, but got hit with horrible humidity and warmer than usual temps. 2:56, a real disappointment because I thought I'd PR.

One factor for me: the race each time was the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon in Indianapolis. I think I'd run a less-interesting race faster, but there's so much to look at and listen to, and so many spectators to high-five and chat to that it slows me down. Also, not quite halfway there's the stretch in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which is virtually always miserable (crowded, no protection from sun). I usually clock my worst miles in there. But I've enjoyed all of them--the time passes faster than you'd think.

I'm doing the Mini again in 2013, and this time...oh yes. That PR will be mine.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Yes. 3 times. But I finished and have the finishers medals to prove it.

When I first started running, I said I'd never run a HM, because I'm pretty slow, and I had no desire to spend 3 hours running (unless, of course, I magically got fast and could cover the full 26.2 in that time).   Almost a year later, I've changed my tune, and despite my slowness, I've signed up for a HM.  

Now, though, I'm wondering if I'm crazy.  Has anyone here run a HM that took over 2:30?  Maybe even closer to 3 hours?  I'm just wondering how the experience was.    

Thanks! 

My first marathon was 4:57:39...pretty close to that 2:30 HM pace. It was the slowest I've ever run and the second deepest in the pack I've ever been (had a dead last place in a race a few years later) but there is something special about your first marathon or half marathon that really makes your finishing time not matter. I cannot explain how amazing crossing the finish line feels after working that hard for that long; no PR or even win at any race since has felt as good.

Go for it! You won't regret it!

Mostly harmless

My first marathon was 4:57:39...pretty close to that 2:30 HM pace. It was the slowest I've ever run and the second deepest in the pack I've ever been (had a dead last place in a race a few years later) but there is something special about your first marathon or half marathon that really makes your finishing time not matter. I cannot explain how amazing crossing the finish line feels after working that hard for that long; no PR or even win at any race since has felt as good.

Go for it! You won't regret it!

+1 to this and I'll add that for some reason I'm more impressed by the slower runners.  My hat is off to anyone that can run for that long and keep going.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Lynx

...but there's so much to look at and listen to, and so many spectators to high-five and chat to that it slows me down. 

I can definitely relate to this one, the little kids are the best- they look so happy after a high-five. (and it definitely makes me feel better, regardless of how tired I think I am)

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I ran-walked-ran-walked-walked-walked a marathon 2 years ago. I was happy to finish because 3 people I buddied up with and had to leave behind didn't. Somewhere around mile 22-23, a spectator asked me how I was doing. I said 'great!' or something like that. I was feeling good and the finish line was near. He told me that I had an amazing attitude. That was the best moment of the race for me.

I finished not far behind a 50 stater and ahead of quite a few younger than me.

If you look up the results from just about any half marathon, you'll see plenty of people over 2:30.  Tons of people take more than 3 hrs to finish too so if you're finishing in that 2:30-3:00 you will definitely not be alone.  My first half (run/walk) took me almost 3 hrs.  Most races seem to have course time limits in the ~4 hr range so they're definitely counting on some people to be even slower than you will be.  

So you can definitely have a good time & enjoy it as long as you've put in the proper training for the distance--I assume you've got at least a few months to work on increasing your weekly mileage, doing a few longer runs, etc?  If so you should be just fine.

aditya83

I did my first HM in 2:55 on 30th sep this year. I've another one coming up on 20th Jan and targeting something about 2:40 to 2:45.

I'm just slow! Can't help it.

Running Rev'd

I finished my first half marathon in 2:32 and had an amazing time. It was a women's race, which put me about in the middle of the pack. A lot of people were slower runners or walked the whole thing. I finished my first marathon in 5:07, a lot slower than I wanted to due to heat and stomach issues, but I finished.

A few times my husband has taken the half option when I've run a full marathon, and he usually finishes in over 2:30. He doesn't "race" but just enjoys the run, the camaraderie with other runners, the sights and sounds, and experience. He has never been last!

As for not wanting to be out there that long, I think you'll be surprised at how quickly the time goes by. And you might surprise yourself!

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

sugnim

Yes.  My 1st half was over 4 hours.  It was a trail run with 3 mountain peaks & descents.  I quickly learned that trail running is WAY harder than road running.

My 1st road half was 2:25:52 and I loved every minute of it.  There were plenty of people finishing after me, so I think you should be just fine, even if it does take you 3 hours.  Just enjoy the experience.

A Saucy Wench

The experience is all about what you make of it. 

Having run the gamut of HM & Marathons from very slow to moderately fast and now back to very slow, what makes the biggest difference is staying within whatever pace you are.  I've had very pleasant slower than 12.5 minute mile races because I paced accordingly and evenly the whole race.  I've had miserable  sub 9 minute mile races because I thought I could do an 8 minute mile and found out I couldnt.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Roses Revenge

I've done 24 or 25 half marathons.  The first one was 4:11 (walking).  The best one was 3:07 (run/walk). I've never been last.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

TxDiverMom

Go read my race report in the Beginners & Beyond group.  I just posted it last night.  I just ran mine this past Sunday.  My time was 3:12 and I enjoyed every minute of it.  Even when it was hard (I trained enough that it wasn't horribly painful and hard, just sort of uncomfortable.), I was happy.  I had a smile on my face most of the way through.  It was a very rewarding experience and something I never imagined I could do only a year ago. 

The other runners, the signs, the crowd, just everything...was so inspirational.  Everyone was friendly and I really can't think of anything bad to say about it.  I had hoped for sub 3:00 and wasn't too far off.  The heat and humidity did me in.  I will say that I typically enjoy my long training runs and did several 8s, a couple of 9's and a 10.  I'm still at that stage of "I can't believe I can run this far!". 

I will definitely do another and am scoping them out to decide on one in Mar or April, just to see if I can improve.  I'm not much of a short distance person.  I feel like to run lots of 5ks, I need to be fast and I am not...but I can last a while.  LOL!  My favorite miles to run are 3-6.  I feel really good then.

I will warn you that almost everyone I talked with said the last 3 miles weren't super great and fun.  They were hard!  But that's the group you're around at that pace.  I'm sure the 2 hour HMer's felt differently.