running 4 days a week (Read 529 times)

kb13

If you could only run 4 days a week, around 25-35 miles per week, with a general goal of getting faster over a variety of race distances (5k, 10k, 1/2), how would you structure your week?

I realize this isn't a die-hard or highly scientific training program, nor focused on a particular race date or distance, but for someone like me who runs and races mostly for fun and tries to be consistent, this is practical. So any suggestions are welcome.

Jeff F

Free Beer

I think it would depend upon your personal schedule.  When I ran on 4 days I would run Tue, Thur, Sat and Sun.  Tue always easy runs, Thur easy with a tempo every 3-4 weeks, Sat pace every other week with easy the other week, and Sunday long.  When I go to 5 days, I add a recovery run on Monday, and make Tuesday my mid week semi-long run.

What do you think your 4-day schedule would look like?

kb13

In the past I would do 10-12 miles slow on Sunday, 5 miles moderate pace on Monday, 7 miles with intervals on Wednesday, 5 miles with faster runners on Friday (so kind of like a tempo run). Upper body weights on Tuesday and lower body on Thursday.

Over time the consistency has helped me get faster, but only in small increments. And I always feel run down, like I'm running too hard or not getting enough rest. So just looking for other ways of approaching this.

From looking at your workout it seems like I might be putting in too many fast miles.

If it were me, and I was trying to get better at running, I would bag the lifting, make Mon, Tues and Thurs easy days (5ish), make sure "slow" wasn't really "slow" on Sunday, but maybe easy with the occasional faster mile thrown in, and increase your miles some. (so, replacing the lifting days with running and running 6 days a week)

Honest question - does lifting once a week really do much for you? (I know you're doing two days, but each group is only getting one a week).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

In the past I would do 10-12 miles slow on Sunday, 5 miles moderate pace on Monday, 7 miles with intervals on Wednesday, 5 miles with faster runners on Friday (so kind of like a tempo run). Upper body weights on Tuesday and lower body on Thursday.

With such low volume, that 10-12 mile run is not really "easy" on you, even if you keep the pace slow.  Basically, you have no easy runs.  No wonder you feel worn down.

The very least I would change would be for Monday to be a true recovery run.  But ideally, I'd probably focus on running well for one workout during the week....Tues, Wed or Thurs....and putting more quality in your long run.

You could do workouts Tues/Thurs  or Tuesday/Fridayand truly easy all other days, but unless you have a solid and higher-volume training history I doubt will will handle that in the long therm.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kb13

@Gville Kevin, good question but for me it isn't about the lifting making me a better runner, its just something I like to do. But I realize it probably reduces my running efficiency. I might just combine the workouts into 1 day and add another short run for volume.

@spaniel, good points, thanks. I think I'm going to spend the first few months of 2013 running a little slower, just adding a few fartleks or strides at the end, and see if the lowered intensity helps.

So hard to squeeze in everything I want to do in a week. Thanks both for your suggestions.

Birdwell

This is what I do currently for training. 

My week consists of 

monday- 6 miles with an effort to hit every hill in the neighboorhood 

tuesday- cross training

wednesday- 7-9 miles tempo run trying to hit half the hills

thursday-cross training

friday-4 to 5 easy miles trying to avoid the hills

saturday- long run distance based on what I need to get to 34 for the week, or whatever that weeks goal is. 

Sunday- complete rest

I live on the hilly side of town. I am no expert. this is working for me right now. 

kcam

@Gville Kevin, good question but for me it isn't about the lifting making me a better runner, its just something I like to do. But I realize it probably reduces my running efficiency. I might just combine the workouts into 1 day and add another short run for volume.

@spaniel, good points, thanks. I think I'm going to spend the first few months of 2013 running a little slower, just adding a few fartleks or strides at the end, and see if the lowered intensity helps.

So hard to squeeze in everything I want to do in a week. Thanks both for your suggestions.

I vote for your very own suggestion.   Run slow and just throw in some non-structured strides or farlteks here and there.  You just don't have the volume to support anything else.  Assuming you're newish to running you will get faster just doing this for awhile as you build fitness but eventually you'll need more to progress.