Running on the Track! (Read 922 times)

Prophet!

I'm doing all my weekday running on the track these days, which accounts for ~ 60% of my total mileage. I'm wondering if running in the same direction on the track (i.e. left turns all the time) might be bad in the long run...should i reverse directions every once in a while and will this be a track-etiquette breach ?
    Scout7

OK, not sure about a scientific answer here....But a coworker of mine did what you're saying (ran all her mileage on a track, in the same direction....not sure how she could handle that....I'd go bonkers....But I digress). Anyway, she ended up with some leg/hip problems related to it. I would try to get on the roads or sidewalks or trails at least a little bit, even if for your mental state.

Prophet!

t....I'd go bonkers....But I digress).
        what helps me is that i run at the same time that the college track and field women are warming up...definitely helps Big grin
        RUN HARD

It could. Funny thing...I tore my abkle up my SR year in high school. My freshman year in college I did all my track workouts in the opposite direction. If running fast you seem to put more pressure on the inside leg. My bet is the person that got hurt, injured their LEFT leg....IF Running the traditional direction around the track.
            When you run on a track and are always going in the same direction, it can put stress on your inner leg, and lead to imbalance and injury. If you do half of your track run in the opposite direction, you can avoid this situation.
            OK, not sure about a scientific answer here....But a coworker of mine did what you're saying (ran all her mileage on a track, in the same direction....not sure how she could handle that....I'd go bonkers....But I digress). Giving my 2 cents worth, I can't run on a track more than once a week; I need to go on the road.
              I've been doing most of my running on a track as well the past couple weeks, and I notice my inner leg starts to get sore towards the end of a run. The gym I go to switches the direction each day, although this makes no difference to me, since I usually run every other day. Maybe you could find one that switches the direction, which would be nicer on one of your legs.
              JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

My SIL runs on a track because of the amount of cougars in her area. Anyway, she runs one mile going one way and then the next mile the other direction. She also starts on the inside lane and moves one lane out each lap. That way she doesn't get mixed up or have to concentrate on how many laps she has done. I am completely amazed, but it works for her! :0 J modified to add: she lives in a small area and is usually the only one on the track so it isn't a challenge....
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                Scout7

My SIL runs on a track because of the amount of cougars in her area.
                  I don't know why, but that is funny. Not the danger, just the fact that it's one of the best explanations for running on a track I've ever seen. That, and it reminds me of Talladega Nights...."I can't breathe! There's a cougar on my chest!"
                  JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I don't know why, but that is funny. Not the danger, just the fact that it's one of the best explanations for running on a track I've ever seen.
                    I know exactly what you mean! I tried to get her to use CougarBait for her screen name here, but she declined! I thought that it was hilarious, but not really.... She is most likely reading this thread and going to wring my neck after she realized what I have typed! Black eye Is what I may look like! Hmmm....being quiet now! Tight lipped J
                    Scout7

I think Lynn mentioned that before, but someone on another forum uses the name Cougarbait, too.
                      JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Good thing that she didn't go for it then. Wink J

You'll ruin your knees!

I think Lynn mentioned that before, but someone on another forum uses the name Cougarbait, too.
                          It's the RW Trail Running Forum and she goes by Cougarsnack, so Cougarbait is fair game! Wink

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)