310XT experiencing steep price drop - might be time to buy (Read 450 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My 310xt spontaneously lost its pairing again today. Well, partly lost - it can still upload the data to garmin connect after restarting watch and Ant Agent, but it has lost the device entry in some part of the computer, so RA can't find it (and Ant Agent says the watch doesn't exist anymore). Instead of all the tedious fooling around with resetting the watch, I just uploaded the workouts from the hidden History file.

If I can get garmin on the phone again, this time I'm going to say I want them to send me one that doesn't keep spontaneously breaking.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

BrooksRunner87

My 310xt spontaneously lost its pairing again today. Well, partly lost - it can still upload the data to garmin connect after restarting watch and Ant Agent, but it has lost the device entry in some part of the computer, so RA can't find it (and Ant Agent says the watch doesn't exist anymore). Instead of all the tedious fooling around with resetting the watch, I just uploaded the workouts from the hidden History file.

If I can get garmin on the phone again, this time I'm going to say I want them to send me one that doesn't keep spontaneously breaking.

Man, this is something I didn't want to hear. I have been using a Soleus Fit GPS for about a month now and have nothing but problems with it and was looking at the 310xt. I was going to order one off of Amazon but I might wait and try to read some more reviews on it before I pull the trigger.

zonykel

Man, this is something I didn't want to hear. I have been using a Soleus Fit GPS for about a month now and have nothing but problems with it and was looking at the 310xt. I was going to order one off of Amazon but I might wait and try to read some more reviews on it before I pull the trigger.

The 310xt has been out for quite some time, so you shouldn't have any troubles finding reviews. Mine greets me with a 2008 copyright as soon as it starts. I haven't had any issues. It may be a quality issue with a specific batch.

Tim_Easterday

Have you checked the XML file to see if it's corrupted? Check the last post of this thread:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?43462-DeviceCapabilities-FIT-and-GarminDevice-XML-corrupted-after-connection-%28310xt-4-50%29

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Try a hard reset of the watch. I was having similar problems and with the ant agent crashing all the time. A watch reset seemed to solve these problems.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Try a hard reset of the watch. I was having similar problems and with the ant agent crashing all the time. A watch reset seemed to solve these problems.

I've done hard resets each of the several times it failed before. It still fails every couple of weeks.

Plus, a hard reset may delete all your data. (I've seen it not delete all the data, and I've seen it delete all the data, and garmin tech support admitted that they don't know why it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Have you checked the XML file to see if it's corrupted? Check the last post of this thread:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?43462-DeviceCapabilities-FIT-and-GarminDevice-XML-corrupted-after-connection-%28310xt-4-50%29

Yes, I've replaced the entire subdirectory more than once.

Anonymous Guest

Same exact thing has happened to me. I haven't tried a hard reset recently though. I don't think the ant stick is the best way to transfer data, and I think Garmin has figured that out as well from the looks of the 620/220.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Really, a hard reset doesn't make much sense, I think, as a solution. The Ant Agent has lost the watch - it doesn't show it in Device Settings. It should, even when the watch is nowhere around. It will still transfer data -- sometimes. Last night it transferred data (even though Device Settings don't include the watch). Tonight I had to delete the entire device subfolder from the AppData area to get it to transfer data, and it regenerated it -- but still doesn't show the watch in the Device Settings (so it still can't do regular RA transfer).

I agree that the whole Ant Agent approach is annoying and seems unfortunate - lots of frustrating futzing around guessing, as there don't seem to be any actual answers or fixes - just lots of random stuff to try that might possibly help, but doesn't necessarily explain anything.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just found a new "fix":

Uninstalled Garmin Communicator. Did NOT reinstall any version of it.

Now Device Settings shows the 310xt, and transfer still works with another version as well (happen to have just uploaded some data for someone else on another watch).

CT JEFF

Amores - it seems your problems with your watch are above normal. I think requesting a replacement is appropriate, but you'd have to sit through more tech support for them to agree I suspect.

My watch lost its pairing after running and losing battery. Ive done this at least 3 times, but one time, I lost the pairing. With tech support I did a hard reset and then clicked on something in the Ant Agent (find devices?) and Ive been fine since. Of course. Im using the 110. The 310 looks pretty sweet though. The touchscreen on the 110 is not fun.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

zonykel

Time for a new computer :-/

Really, a hard reset doesn't make much sense, I think, as a solution. The Ant Agent has lost the watch - it doesn't show it in Device Settings. It should, even when the watch is nowhere around. It will still transfer data -- sometimes. Last night it transferred data (even though Device Settings don't include the watch). Tonight I had to delete the entire device subfolder from the AppData area to get it to transfer data, and it regenerated it -- but still doesn't show the watch in the Device Settings (so it still can't do regular RA transfer).

I agree that the whole Ant Agent approach is annoying and seems unfortunate - lots of frustrating futzing around guessing, as there don't seem to be any actual answers or fixes - just lots of random stuff to try that might possibly help, but doesn't necessarily explain anything.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Time for a new computer :-/

Nope - same issue multiple computers. But you might be slightly ahead of garmin techsupport  - they throw out random stuff to try that doesn't work, but they haven't come up with that yet!

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

Just found a new "fix":

Uninstalled Garmin Communicator. Did NOT reinstall any version of it.

Now Device Settings shows the 310xt, and transfer still works with another version as well (happen to have just uploaded some data for someone else on another watch).

Are you saying the operating system's device drivers are working with the Ant device to communicate the data from the watch?  And that we might be better off not using the Garmin Communicator?  I haven't taken my new 301xt out of the box yet, and am hoping I don't have the difficulties you have experienced.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was relatively shocked to see it work without the Communicator plugin at all. But I'm happy; that simplifies how much software is involved Smile

The 405 is also working without the Communicator plugin.

Maybe the Communicator is only for non-wireless watches (eg, 205/305). I dunno; I hope it is obvious that I'm also just throwing out random ideas that may not fix anything. (What else can we do - it is the folks at garmin from whom I'd expect better.)

What looks to me like the most promising thread on garmin forums suggests that the real bug is that the 310xt gets buggy as it accumulates a lot of historical data (in the watch): https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?26659-Have-to-pair-310XT-every-use

Maybe the issue would go away if I set it to delete all data every time, but apparently the pain threshold to convince me to do so has not yet been crossed.