Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11262 times)

Black-Toe-Nailed

A Turtle!

Maybe for Americans it's nothing strange, but it definitely is here in the north of Europe. He or she was a Read-eared Slider (Trachemys scripta) they are unable to breed in this latitude as the eggs cannot hatch because of the winter temperatures, but they are quite common. A fact that I didn't knew.  So that I was just starring at the beast that was peacefully basking in the morning sun, looked at me with bored expresion and initiated his slow way back to the lake.

Morale: Running is not only good for your health, but also greatly improves your knowledge of the local fauna Wink 

<meta charset="utf-8" />

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
    then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
    I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Enric...what are your Winter temps like?  Red-Eared Sliders are native to the Upper Midwest of the US (saw one in our yard a while back).  We have some pretty chilly Winters.  They are cute turtles.  Not like the scary Snapping Turtles we have. *shudders*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hmm...went for a 9 mile run at my cottage on Friday (long run for me) and saw 12 deer, a whole whack of birds (pelicans, I think), and thankfully, no skunk.  A few days previous I had seen a skunk with it's tail up.  I slowed down and prayed.  Thankfully, I did not get sprayed, seeing as we had no tomato juice, we are a half hour from the nearest town, and all the stores would have been closed.  

The irony of my skunk encounters is that I smelled a lot worse than they did as I passed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think red eared sliders got dispersed around the country by people who bought them as pets, then let them go or lost them.  Don't know if that happened in Europe.
          smjones1971

Staci

Found a pair of metal crutches last week!
            keeponrunning

The irony of my skunk encounters is that I smelled a lot worse than they did as I passed.

Haha come to think of it, I probably did too.  Don't know what the humidex was, but it was still close to 90 without it. 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Imminent Catastrophe

A jumper on the Golden Gate Bridge. He wasn't on the ground of course, but sitting on the ledge, the police had the sidewalk blocked off talking him down. I don't know what became of him.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

drrbradford

In a somewhat similar vein, the most odd thing  I found was my friend in the river. Bear in mind that it was January in Glasgow (Scotland) and it had been icy that week. It transpired that his glasses had fallen off and he'd climbed over the handrail to the other path on which he had assumed they had landed. Turned out there was no other path but only the River Clyde preceded by a 15' fall. Luckily I was a little way behind him having stopped to tie my laces and noticed the ripples in the relatively calm river. He was fine after spending the night in hospital and being vaccinated against some disease that can be found in rat piss.

Blaaahhhh

I saw a vibrator today. Black eye

This thread never fails to crack me up.

During my run on Sunday I saw a pair of underwear on the side of the road. Remembering this thread, I actually turned around to get a better look. They were a pair of Hanes men's briefs in pretty good shape and relatively clean considering they were sitting on the side of the road for who knows how long. I would have checked to see if they were my size, but I don't think my wife would want me bringing home underwear I found on the side of the road.

Creyo, if you ever find the need to bring home a pair of underwear found on the side of the road, let us know, we can probably  organize a charity race of some kind to buy you a few pairs.
                        Maybe we've just identified ctom87's charity.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Black-Toe-Nailed

Enric...what are your Winter temps like?  Red-Eared Sliders are native to the Upper Midwest of the US (saw one in our yard a while back).  We have some pretty chilly Winters.  They are cute turtles.  Not like the scary Snapping Turtles we have. *shudders*

We have pretty mild winters here, the min I have seen was -10C (14F) but this was an exception, average temps are -5C to 0C (23F to 32F).

These little beasts may be cute, but they are considered a plague in southern Europe where they displace the local species... if the begin to breed here it shouldn't be much of an issue as we do not have any native species.

I will keep an eye on them Wink

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                          then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                          I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

An orb web. Hit the sucker head on. No sign of any spider; she probably bailed, having had a full night's repast. This doesn't really qualify for this thread, since it wasn't on the ground and I didn't see it.

the man put the gun away

today i saw half a carp.  it was from the midsection forward to the head.  i have no idea where the rest of it was, or how it managed to get itself smack in the middle of the trail.

A Saucy Wench

today i saw half a carp.  it was from the midsection forward to the head.  i have no idea where the rest of it was, or how it managed to get itself smack in the middle of the trail.

OK that is weird because I was coming in here to post that on my last run I saw a very very large fish head.   Very large - maybe 10 inches by 12 inches?  The eyes were about the diameter of a soda can.  But out of its mouth or under its mouth (I really didnt stop to look closely) was the tail of what I think was a possum.  About an 18 inch long skinny  tail.   

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7