The Danger ofCarbs? (Read 944 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

I pulled off 2 Rick Rolls in 1 thread. Hi 5 myself. Now I will deliver the real link: http://chicagoist.com/2008/05/05/man_buys_himsel.php
    Don't break you're arm patting yourself on the back. Big grin Incedentally, I thought "there's no way Marcus would try that stunt twice in one thread".

http://xkcd.com/621/

The Greatest of All Time

Incedentally, I thought "there's no way Marcus would try that stunt twice in one thread".
      Funny. I was thinking "There's no way someone's going to fall for this twice in one thread" Big grin
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Think Whirled Peas

Funny. I was thinking "There's no way someone's going to fall for this twice in one thread" Big grin
        Exactly why I figured the second one was safe...bah! Tongue

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Go Pre!

Apparently people who eat the perfect balance of carbs, protein and fat will eventually die. Anyone else heard this?
          Unconfirmed, inconclusive. It was a high school report. Now this, is actually a similar yet real study. Regular Airline travellers die younger
            http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article4022091.ece?token=null&offset=12
            But the biggest rule of all is his eccentric and punishing diet and exercise programme. He’s been on it for three months and he’s lost 20lb. He’s following the thinking of Arthur De Vany, an economist – of the acceptable type – turned fitness guru. The theory is that we eat and exercise according to our evolved natures. Early man did not eat carbs, so they’re out. He did not exercise regularly and he did not suffer long-term stress by having an annoying boss. Exercise must be irregular and ferocious – Taleb often does four hours in the gym or 360 press-ups and then nothing for 10 days. Jogging is useless; sprinting is good. He likes to knacker himself completely before a long flight. Stress should also be irregular and ferocious – early men did not have bad bosses, but they did occasionally run into lions. He’s always hungry. At both lunches he orders three salads, which he makes me share. Our conversation swings from high philosophy and low economics back to dietary matters like mangoes – bad – and apples – good as long as they are of an old variety. New ones are bred for sugar content. His regime works. He looks great – springy and fit. He shows me an old identity card. He is fat and middle-aged in the photo. He looks 10 years younger than that. “Look at me! That photo was taken seven years ago. No carbs!”
              Shocked Shocked Shocked http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/leukocytic_index.html
              [...] Consequences Based on these studies, any person who eats largely carbohydrate-based meals, particularly those containing sugars, and snacks with small carbohydrate-based meals spread throughout the day — as the latest advice suggests we should — could lose up to half their immunity to disease for much of the waking day. No wonder cancers and infectious diseases are increasing. References 1. Cohn ZA, Morse SI. Functional and metabolic properties of polymorphonuclear leucocytes. 1. Observations on the requirements and consequences of particle ingestion. J Exptl Med 1960; 111: 667 2. Sanchez A, et al. Role of sugars in human neutrophilic phagocytosis. Am J Clin Nutr 1973; 26: 1180-84 3. Ringsdorf WM jr, Cheraskin E and Ramsey RR jr. Sucrose, Neutrophilic Phagocytosis, and Resistance to Disease. Dent Surv 1976; 52 (12): 46-48 4. DaCosta JC, Beardsley E. The resistance of diabetes to bacterial infection. Am J Med Sci 1908; 136: 361. 5. Richardson R. Measurement of phagocytic activity in diabetes mellitus. Am J Med Sci 1942; 204: 29. 6. Schauble MK, Baker RD. The inflammatory response in acute alloxan diabetes. AMA Arch Pathol 1957; 64: 563. 7. Bybee JD, Rodgers DE. The phagocytic activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes obtained from patients with diabetes mellitus. J Lab Clin Med 1964; 64: 1.