Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Hi all -

The craziness of the school year has set in full force - I am coaching my son's travel soccer team and it is wonderfully fun - but lots of time.

Stever - CONGRATS!  You rocked it - hope you are recovering well and the knee isn't too bad.  Also, kudos to your wife!

Miele -  60 miles a week - egad - you go !  My husband has the Hansons book and may use it if his knee ever recovers from his half ironman.

Wolf - You will get your running in - that is for sure.  Good luck with the start of school.

Blue - Sorry about the knee - troublesome body parts should learn to behave a bit better.

Zelanie - 5Ks are interesting creatures....all of a sudden you are at mile 2 and then it's time to kick it in.....I have to say I prefer a good 10K.

Me:  I have recovered from the mysterious illness that wasn't mono but felt like it - and jumped into our hometown 5K last Saturday - first 5K I have run in over 15 years - and I was a bit lost with it - given my 10K times my target was 6:45 and I ran a 20:46 (6:41) so I was quite happy - I've registered for a half at the beginning of November - hopefully it won't be too cold here in MA....

Ready, go.

CT JEFF

HEY ALL -

STEVER - great FM RR-

LURCH - yeah, that 2:08 was Barefoot! I was pretty psyched, but still hoping to beat that time with the race mentality. I had some good splits the other day, but I only did 6.5 and I wasnt trying. DW has more corrals (from what they are saying) than last year. There are similar corrals to what you are used to. 20 elites. 480 in A. 500 in B and C. 1000 in D, E, F and 1500 in G, H and 1800 in I and J. (I think). Another thing, corrals are based on a 10 mile time. All I will have is a HM pace. Im thinking I could do 10 miles at a faster pace.

upcoming races. Hogsback HM Satuday.

Then working from 7p-7a.

Rugged Maniac - Mud 5K Sunday at noon (1 hour commute).

Then working from 7p-7a.

Monday off

Tuesday Fly to Disney.

Satuday - Tower of Terror 10 miler.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

npaden

Back from my Wyoming elk hunt.  Haven't ran since Monday of last week!  That's the longest I've gone without running since sometime in the fall of 2011.

Had a VERY successful hunt though, shot the biggest elk of my life!

Wyoming elk

I'll probably post more pictures and the story on my blog sometime in the next few days and I'll post the link here if anyone is interested.

Stever - Good job on the marathon.  Not sure I could have gutted it out and finished if my knee was hurting that bad.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

nathan-that elk was huge.

jeff-sounds like you have a busy schedule coming up. Run safe.

Tara-That's a fast 5K. I guess your targeting sub 20 next!!

me-recovery this week, will do a slow jog and longer run over the weekend. Debating to do a HM in early November. If my knee behaves in the next few long runs, just might do it. My goal is to run a 1:43 or better. Let's see, let's see..Roll eyes

There's a story going around about a woman in Ontario who was running a HM, but by mistake kept going and finished the FM, and was the first female to cross the tape. The course director decided to give her the win after she asked a bike volunteer if she could do so. Now I hope she paid for the FM after...Interesting story....

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
          2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

miele

Godzilla

Zelanie-  Well now I want to know what swag you won!  The knee still feeling good?

blue-  I'm really liking Hansons so far.  It's tough but I never feel like I can't do the workouts.  Sorry about your mile race.  How frustrating.  Looks like I'll be running a HM the same day as you and Jan next month.

pc-  :20 seconds per mile faster in your LR is huge, to me anyway.  You must've been running them super-duper fast before that.   But sometimes it just feels good to go a bit faster.  My goal is 3:53:37.  That would be a 5 min. PR for me so my MP is 8: 43.  I think.  I don't have my chart in front of me.  I ran today's tempo much too fast, though, but I just felt like doing it as a test for an upcoming HM.  Up until today I was coming very close to the specified tempo pace.  I'll slow down from now on.  I promise.  Have you ever tried the GUs with double caffeine?  I'm tempted to give it a go to see how my stomach handles it and if it goes well then I'll have one at mile 20 or so of the marathon.  A little extra boost, perhaps?

Lurch-  Nice running!  Bet it felt good to get home out of that sticky humidity.

Jan-  I'm following the one that caps at 16 for the LR.  I'm hoping that I can get the mileage up to justify a couple of 18 milers, though.  I'll see how it goes.  My leg has miraculously healed!  I think those exercises helped a lot.  No more compression socks or KT.  It took a few weeks to get over the shin splints but I'm so glad they're gone.  Sorry you're hating the LRs now.  I can relate.  They just take soooooo long.  How's the biking going?

hector-  I like the avatar.  It's eye-catching (and much better than the empty one).  But you didn't need that to make you look like a serious runner......

Tara-   Congrats on an awesome 5k!  Glad you're over whatever it was you had.  For some reason I thought you had a HM yesterday but that didn't sound right to me.  A HM in the middle of the week?  I got something wrong somewhere.

Jeff- That's a pretty full schedule you've got there.  Good luck with all the races!

Nathan-  Glad you had a great trip!  Poor elk...although I bet he's tasty.

stever-  I just read about that lady!  How does that happen?!?  I'm counting down the miles so there's no way I could accidently run 6 miles more without realizing it.  I've run maybe a mile extra accidently but six?  No way.  I wish I could.

me-  Just got back from a 7 mile tempo.  I think I was supposed to run it at a 8:38 pace but averaged a 8:22 pace.  I'm hoping to be able to hold that pace in the HM in a few weeks.  That would get me a sub 1:50.  It was a tough workout but felt good at the same time.  Now I'm hungry and must eat.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

stever : Good race man !  Full mara is tough and that is a good time for a first one!! Glad to hear the legs better, or at least the one that was hurt earlier heh.

Lurch : How is the marathon training going?  Does the race feel like a long ways off?

Blue - tough mile race, but mile runs are tough in their own right.  Good luck on the upcoming half ina few weeks.  I think you will rebound and kick some butt.

Jan : Ankle is all better now. The hill training usually irritates it, ( downhills anyways ).  Yep school is back in, today will be the finish of my first full week and still managed most of my runs. Did some in the mid day, some in the morning and last night ran 8 miles around 9 pm. Wierd schedule but I am getting it done hehe

Jeff : Great run especially barefooted!!  I think your goal of sub 2 is right around the corner. When you are minutes away, just keep grinding and it will happen.

Tara: That is an awesome 5k time. Especially not having been runnng that distance in so long.  Imagine if you were training specifically for it, you would be knocking out 19.00s and even 18.00somethings!  Keep it up, it is inspiring.

Nathan, that is a hell of an elk.  I hope you are going to mount that rack. That thing is like a jungle gym for kids it is so big!! How many pounds did it turn out to weigh?

Miele -  sounds like the hansons plan is working well for you. I did a version of that plan last marathon ending with 18 mile distance.  I think it was pretty good overall. Better than my first plan for sure ending with a 20 miler but no speed workouts or hills / intervals etc.  Hansons is the good ol' get er done type plan and I think it will help your upcoming times for sure!

Me : busy week getting back to school. I ended last week with a long run on sunday of 20 miles.  I am ticked because my runkeeper app is not showing me the split times for the run. It held the distance and overall time and pace but some reason keeps error display when I hit splits.  It is of course the run I REALLY wanted to see how I did per mile. Anyways I ended up with a time of 2hr40min53sec for the 20 miles. Average pace was 8.02 per mile.  I started with a mile 1 of 8:16 and worked down to the 7.40's for a awhile. After 6-8 miles I was slowing down a few seconds per mile.  I think my splits were pretty consistent overall though. I didn't try to slow or speed up much. I felt good overall except had some cramps right AFTER the run which went away after stretching. The run felt great otherwise.  This week I will end with a 17.2 mile run and then will go back to 20 mile long run next week. I will do this for awhile and bump it up to 22 then 24 miles toward november.  Ok,  time for school.  Have a nice one everybody !!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

miele

Godzilla

Wolfie-  Nice running!  Glad the ankle is healed up.  I wonder what's up with the running app?  That would be frustrating.  Maybe you can google it and see how to fix it?

IIRC, we have Zelanie running a 10k and Jeff in a HM today.  Tomorrow Nathan has a HM and Jeff has  5k.  Good luck to all of you!!!  Sorry if I missed anyone.  Looking forward to all the PRs and RRs!

CT JEFF

Hey All, HM Race Report... HOGSBACK HALF MARATHON- COLEBROOK DAM, HARTLAND, CT - Starting Temp 47 net incline -100ft. Well- I woke up well, got enough sleep. Decided this week to fool around with fueling, without testing it. I had a couple Chewy granola bars and I thought That's what I need! So I brought 4, planned on eating 2. Last HM was in June and it was just after my FM and it was hot and humid. I did it in 2:14. My best in training has been 2:08. My ideal goal was 2:05, but my "good" goal was under 2:11 (10:00 pace). The parking filled super fast. I got there at 7:35a and the lot was full and I had to park on the hill heading towards the start line. By 8:00, the hill was getting full past the starting line. 8:15, the "walkers" were supposed to start. They finally took off about 8:20, only due to the people running the race, all runners were there waiting. I noticed there was no starting mat, so I wanted to be near the front, but I also didn't want my feet to be cold, so I sat in the car for a couple minutes. I got to the starting area about 8:40 and started talked to some people about barefoot. It was nice to chat, but I feel I missed out on some stretching time. I had 3 granola bars in my shorts pockets. The RD said at 9:00 that the start would be delayed by 10 or 15 minutes because of people at the pottys. (moans). Guy near me goes, "perfect, just enough time for us to have the urge to go again". Good point. 9:09,, they gave us a 30 second warning. I started clicking buttons on the Garmin and "GPS OFF" is on the screen. DAMNIT. I tried going into GPS settings, but it kept telling me about the model. I want to turn it on! Also just before the race, guys who were jogging around piled into the front, shoving us back on to the side. Oh well. At the start, GPS still wasn't on, but I tried to click the timer anyway, for an idea of where I am out there. Maybe 1/2 mile into run I think, maybe I can get GPS on now. I did in in a few clicks but then GPS ACQUIRING SIGNAL. oh well, nothing I can do about it now. I passed a couple on the downhill that were arguing. He was fiddling with iPhone. She was saying "its messing up my speed" he said, "mine too" she said "don't worry about it" (about 4 times) I don't think I ever saw them again. He sounded a little short of breath on the downhill. It was an open course, but a countryish town. The Garmin gave me an initial lap of 20:##. No idea what my pace really was, and I hadn't seen marker for mile 1 or mile 2. By mile 3, I decided to click the LAP button and get back on track. Mile 4, wasn't there. Garmin said it was there, but almost 1/3 of a mile later I saw the sign. Mile 5 decided to hit LAP button again a little before the sign (so Id have a warning what my pace is before it got locked in). Between 4 and 5, I decided to try that Chewy Granola. I was hungry, so I chomped 1/2 of the bar (plan was for 1/4 bites) - It wasn't great trying to breathe, eat, chew and not choke- that BREATHE one was up there on the list. Finally I swallowed about 1/5 of the bite and spit the rest into my hand and threw it in the woods. Couldn't handle it and my pace seemed to be slowing because of it. Around mile 6 was the last encouragement I got for being Barefoot. And I wasn't too talkative by that point. My plan was to go out a little fast (downhill) and then hit my paces on the way uphill. I still couldn't accurately figure out my pace for sure but figured the first half was the best it was gonna be, now to try and not lose too much in the 2nd half of the race. Mile 7 was good - shady and more comfortable than expected, but starting to warm 55 degrees? - Mile 8, 9, 10 went by slogging away. Mile 11 seemed really tough. My paces were starting to slip and didn't know if Id be able to hit my target for this race. Figured I had a few extra seconds I could waste per mile, but wanted to save those for the hill at the end of mile 12. Mile 12 was uphill, not too bad, but enough. A girl near me was doing good at pacing, so I tried to push my muscles to keep up with her on the hill. Not sure if this would bite me in the ass when I planned to push just before the finish. Hit the top of the hill thinking I was at 13.0, but not yet. Ran across the top of the dam and felt better but not great, tried to sprint, did ok. Passed 13.0, heard some great comments "looking good" - "finish strong" - I decided I wasn't going to feel badly about this race based on how this last 0.1 mile went. So I pushed some more. Didn't have time to focus on my photo finish pose, but oh well.   Final time.   1:57:28 ! ! ! ! ! 8:58 pace. FAN- FRIGGIN-TASTIC!~ This was my ideal goal. under 9:00 would qualify me for Corral B at Disney! (I later found out, so would my 8:52 10K)  - I felt so good. Knew that breaking 1:58 was my goal, and knew that if I started out faster than I thought I could, just needed to keep the pace for some miles and not lose too much near the end. I ate and chatted, then I found the results, #150 out of about 400. I saw 3 men in my group (of 23) right at the top and said, "oh well, no prize" but I sat to watch the awards anyway. Then I started thinking, 62% female, and those top 3 might have been some placers for top male. So that would be 19 people in my group (not counting me) and 3 of those are winners, so I need to beat 17 people (not counting me). Anyway- didn't win AG. Still not sure where I placed because it isn't listed, I'll need to figure it out myself. Felt awesome. Turns out 12:00 I get a text from my friend at Rugged Maniac asking if Im there. Um no... They signed up for Saturday, not Sunday. Im skipping that race after all. Probably going apple picking with the family tomorrow instead. Todays paces, best I can figure were about: 8:17, 8:17, 8:30, 8:44, 8:41, 8:40. Mile 7 9:07, 9:10, Mile 9= 9:44, 9:40, Mile 11= 9:58, Mile 12= 10:08, Mile 13= 9:35.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hey all, I've been lurking here with the hopes of a sub 2:00 HM in my near future but a little nervous. I've got a HM October 5 with a relatively flat course, I've ran it twice now so I know the course and am quite confident that I can pull a sub 2:00 finish thanks to my training but still a little unsure. I've ran 3 HMs so far:

Evansville Half - October 9, 2011 (time: 2:31:05 - I was 13 weeks pregnant and had to stop 6 times at port-a-potties thinking I needed to pee)

Evansville Half - October 7, 2012 (time: 2:36:39 - I ran the race with an injured groin, most likely from starting my training too soon after giving birth)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon - April 7, 2013 (time: 2:18:28)

I looked over my training, my races (other than my HMs) and I've seen a lot of improvement and I think a sub 2:00 for this HM coming up next weekend is in my grasp. I have a modest goal of 2:08:00, but am hoping for a faster finish. I figure if I put it here too for others to see my goals maybe I'll push harder during moments of doubt because I've told a few people. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Great race Jeff CONGRATS ON THE SUB 2.00 !!!!!   sounds like you stuck to the plan and it worked for you.  Great run and fun race report.

Free soul :  You can do it!!!  Run hard and be thankful you have no injuries or holdbacks this time around.  You will do great!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

miele

Godzilla

Jeff-  Way to go!!!  You smashed your goal to bits!  Funny, this isn't the first time I've heard of massive PRs due to technical difficulties with the Garmin (or other types of GPS).  It would've just held you back.  You know what apple picking means, don't you?  Apple pie.  MMMMM.

FreeSoul-  Welcome!  I recognize your avatar from other threads (I lurk a lot but only actively participate in this thread).   How's your training been going?  No injuries, I hope.  We'll be rooting for you.

Waiting for more RRs................

Zelanie

My 10K is tomorrow, not today. It is very stormy here, and they've canceled the festival that's associated with the race, but the race is scheduled to go on despite heavy rains and a wind advisory.  So instead of a PR attack, this might just be a different kind of an adventure.

Tara- Congrats on your 5k!

Jeff- Congratulations!  You got your sub-2! Glad you didn't let the Garmin troubles get you down!

Npaden- Congrats on your successful trip!

Stever- Glad your knee has been behaving for you!

Miele- I got a pint glass and a voucher for a 30 minute massage for being 3rd OA woman, and a plastic "kiss me I'm Irish" necklace for my 2nd place AG. Plus all the entrants got a pack of coconut hazelnuts and a beer. They did a nice job with everything in the race except the course, hehe. But really as a casual fun run it was fine.

That sounds like a super strong tempo, congrats!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks WolfWalker, I'm feeling pretty confident, my only concern is due to last Sunday's 12 miler fluke but I am hoping it was due to not eating or drinking anything before the run.

Miele - I sure hope it wasn't during meltdown threads and stuff lol Big grin

No injuries this year, though it got close back before the April HM until I finally went to a real shoe store and they analyzed my gait and gave me the right pair of shoes and magically all the pain in my shins and calves just disappeared and I've been running great. I've taken unplanned rest days when my body needs it, I've been more flexible and I've listened to my body and I am very confident that my body can pull it off. This last Wednesday I ran my progression run relatively fast and the 6th mile at a 7:51 pace. The only thing that could possibly screw it up is my bowels............

Jeff-  Way to go!!!  You smashed your goal to bits!  Funny, this isn't the first time I've heard of massive PRs due to technical difficulties with the Garmin (or other types of GPS).  It would've just held you back.  You know what apple picking means, don't you?  Apple pie.  MMMMM.

FreeSoul-  Welcome!  I recognize your avatar from other threads (I lurk a lot but only actively participate in this thread).   How's your training been going?  No injuries, I hope.  We'll be rooting for you.

Waiting for more RRs................

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Zelanie

FreeSoul- I missed you when I was posting from my phone earlier.  Good to see you here!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Big grin, It's good to be here and hopefully I will be able to post a happy RR next weekend. I honestly can't see how you can use your phone for this lol...... I would throw mine, I barely use it for FB Smile

FreeSoul- I missed you when I was posting from my phone earlier.  Good to see you here!

PRs