Race Bandits (Read 1312 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Many costs are sunk well before the gun fires on race morning, and the RD cannot recoup the costs when weather strikes.  The shirts, permits, liability, portapotties, medals, food and drink, etc, all of those things don't disappear and get refunded back to the race.  I feel your pain, but that is part of the risk of race registration.

Yes, I know. We have put on a race for 20 years.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes, I know. We have put on a race for 20 years.

Oh come on now. RA didn't exist 20 years ago. Computers barely exists. Running hadn't been invented.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Oh come on now. RA didn't exist 20 years ago. Computers barely exists. Running hadn't been invented.

KIDS! Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

KIDS! 

Now those, those might have existed.

Not annoying.  I've wondered too.  I have a tendency to toss those cheapy cotton gloves on the course after my hands thaw out.

It would be worth the price of registration to watch you disrobe discard clothing

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

On On

KIDS! Big grin

They were probably sitting by the aid station food.

wait, somebody discarded kids along the course? 

which race?  I need to sign up next year.  I'll bring the family.  The ride home will be peaceful. 

A Saucy Wench

In my experience (limited as it is), most races plan for discards and sweep the course post race, separately, or as they pick up cones and such. Some races have designated "drop zones" where they encourage runners to shed toss gear. At a recent race they made the effort to collect drop clothes at the first aid station and actually brought it all back to the finish so runners could paw through and find their stuff if they wanted it back. (or upgrade to new stuff I suppose)

Check with your race.  at many races I have been to either the race or an other organization sweeps the course and all the discarded clothing is donated to the homeless/shelters. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh yes it did but they called it Paleo Running.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

What if registration was full and you really really really wanted to run the course? Some people don't show up for races. Then you're just subbing. Without permission of course.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

xor

What if registration was full and you really really really wanted to run the course? Some people don't show up for races. Then you're just subbing. Without permission of course.

No.

Most races already factor in some amount of no-shows into their planning.  Your desire to 'really really' want to do it is nice, but doesn't factor.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sure. But to be fair to the other runners who did get in, if it is a 5K, you should start about an hour early.

Sure. But to be fair to the other runners who did get in, if it is a 5K, you should start about an hour early.

That works for me. 

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

It's easy ... 

If you don't pay your money ...  load up your camelbak, plug in your earbuds,  and do your regular training run around the neighborhood. 

If you want to take advantage of the atmosphere, course, amenities of a race ... pay your money. 

'Nuff said... move along. 

Tim 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's easy ... 

If you don't pay your money ...  load up your camelbak, plug in your earbuds,  and do your regular training run around the neighborhood. 

If you want to take advantage of the atmosphere, course, amenities of a race ... pay your money. 

'Nuff said... move along. 

I disagree with your implicit statement that people not running a race have to stay out of the public parks and hide themselves in their own neighborhoods. Most races run in public parks do not have, in my mind at least, the standing to deny the usage to the entire rest of the citizenship.