Corral Jumpers (Read 454 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Math exercise: If you had 60,000 runners in your 100M race, how many corrals would you use?  (Meters people, not miles)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

Math exercise: If you had 60,000 runners in your 100M race, how many corrals would you use?  (Meters people, not miles)

How many lanes does the track have?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Food is a dumb way to time altogether. They should use clocks. That's probably the root cause behind all this corral jumping - if they'd fix the timing, people wouldn't have to worry.

Chip timing.

No more marathons

I've never run a half marathon that had corrals. Now that I think about it, apart from marathons the only race I've ever run that had corrals was the Falmouth Road Race.

I've never run any race that had corrals.  Guess I just haven't lived yet.  Biggest races I've run are the Gasparilla Distance Clasics back in the early 80's (they were 15Ks then - probably 3,000 or so runners) and the 1982 MCM which had about 8,000 that year.  They just let you line up where ever you wanted (they may have given some basic direction but no enforcement).

For local races I mostly expect to finish in the top 10% so I'm usually near the front, but you always have the enthusiastic youngsters who want to start up front.  I generally don't weave around them - I find that a hand on the shoulder, a gentle nudge, and an excuse me moves them off to the side.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

This is my biggest pet peeve of big races (it doesn't seem to be much of a problem at my smaller local races). I too suspected the driving force between a lot of the jumpers I've seen was the possibility of not finishing in time. I can understand if you think you seeded yourself off by a bit, but these people CLEARLY did not belong in the corral they were in. They were walking within the 1st or 2nd mile. It was less of a problem in my more recent races where I was under 1:40 for a HM, the problem seemed much worse when I was seeded in the 1:50--2:00 range. If you can't finish the race within the cutoff time, don't do the race. Put the work in to get to that time, or too bad.

Amen to this.  Most cut-off times are incredibly generous.  If missing the cut is actually a worry, you're probably a) grossly under-trained, and that's on you, or b) coming off an injury, in which case you have my sympathies.  Corral jumpers are a plague.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I've never run a half marathon that had corrals. Now that I think about it, apart from marathons the only race I've ever run that had corrals was the Falmouth Road Race.

The HM that I'm running tomorrow has 26 corrals. 35,000 participants. I'm sure a large number of those won't actually be racing, much less running.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

The HM that I'm running tomorrow has 26 corrals. 35,000 participants. I'm sure a large number of those won't actually be racing, much less running.

Sounds like loads of fun!!

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Peachtree Road Race 10k .60,000 runners. 20+ corrals.

But the corrals are extremely well run / policed.

steph  

csab

I'm running that, too! (Indy 500 HM) They seem to be determined about enforcing corrals. And I'm guessing you are also from the 'ville.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Sounds like loads of fun!!

I blame C-R and Spaniel.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm running that, too! (Indy 500 HM) They seem to be determined about enforcing corrals. And I'm guessing you are also from the 'ville.

I'm just a bit west of Indy. Right before you get to BF, Indiana Big grin

Good luck tomorrow!

Prince of Fatness

There is a 5 mile race down at the Jersey shore every Memorial Day Saturday, Spring Lake 5.  It is supposed to be the largest 5 mile race in the country, 8 - 10 K runners.  No corrals.  The course is flat and fast, definitely a PR course.  But because of people lining up to far up front it is not worth it unless you are in the very front.  The first mile is weaving in and out of traffic.  Not only do you lose time, but with all of the speeding up and slowing down it wears you out.  I eventually gave up and stopped running that race.

One year I saw a girl about 3 people back from the starting line with the Walkman and the ear buds.  The gun goes off, she fiddles with the Walkman then starts off at a jog.  Typical scene there.  Incredible.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

I run mostly small race - I seed myself correctly minus 1 row - 1 row further back than my expected finish result.  THe young rockets do burn hot and fast.  Often when I was running 10ks in high 35 - low 36's I would be in 50-60th place at the 1/4 mile, but in top 10 by 1 mile and top 5-10 by end.

In ultras it is often hard to pass, so If someone is approaching fast - I pull over, it they are hanging out behind I will ask if they want to pass if they say no - I tell them just to tell me when they do want to pass.

I shorter races I occassionally have moved over  -  If someone is obviously a fast mover, but usually I think it is all of our race and we all have the right to our spot.

But if someone purposely touches me on the shoulder (likley throwing me off balance), in the heat of the race I might punch them in the face.

Of course since I am not violent, I would want to punch them in the face, but scream at them instead.

For local races I mostly expect to finish in the top 10% so I'm usually near the front, but you always have the enthusiastic youngsters who want to start up front.  I generally don't weave around them - I find that a hand on the shoulder, a gentle nudge, and an excuse me moves them off to the side.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

...and it is kind of fun later to cruise by the folks who started out too fast.

kettledrum

I think the real answer is: it depends. Reading the thread it is also apparent to me that slower people think this is a minor infarction, but top corral seeded runners think this is a big deal. I'm not surprised. If you are a 1:25 half marathoner, it is unlikely you can shave off 10 minutes from your time between registration and the race. If you are 5 minutes slower or faster that is probably not a huge deal. But if a 2-hour half marathoner sneaks into the 1:25 corral, that is disaster.

Data point: I'm slow (goal is sub 2 in tomorrow Indy HM starting corral E) and I think corral jumping is a big no no.   Smile  I hate it when people are clueless and think they are above everyone else.