The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons I Run Long Distances. (Read 252 times)

Doc, my tooth hurts

The Oatmeal puts out mostly funny takes on everyday things, with drawings that really send it over the top. The author of the site is also a runner. I don't think I've loved any of his comics as much as the one today.  I'm sure most people on this site will relate to this on some level.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's all true.

bhearn

Yep. What I want to know is, why is 2011 White River (his 50 miler he talks about, also my first ultra, in 2008) still his only ultra? What's up with that?

Feeling the growl again

Yep. What I want to know is, why is 2011 White River (his 50 miler he talks about, also my first ultra, in 2008) still his only ultra? What's up with that?

Some people learn their lesson more easily than others.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

pcaharrier

Am I the only one who saw the eating portion and thought that sipping Nutella through a straw could be a workout all by itself?

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Am I the only one who saw the eating portion and thought that sipping Nutella through a straw could be a workout all by itself?

Well, if you had a wide enough straw it might work. In fact, it could be genius. Spoons are so messy.

keeponrunning

It's all true.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

bhearn

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Oh -- and thank you for eliding the gratuitous "why" in the thread title. That really grates on me.

No more marathons

He says at the bottom of the story that he is registered to run again this year.  In two weeks?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

bhearn

Oh, I missed that, thanks.

I got my revenge on the course last year; I won't be going back this year. It's damn hard! A shame to miss running into him, though.

Doc, my tooth hurts

Oh -- and thank you for eliding the gratuitous "why" in the thread title. That really grates on me.

I'll act like I did it on purpose.