Was I a runner? (Read 810 times)

Now that was a bath...

Because I am not one at the moment. My physiotherapist said at least three more weeks downtime from running. I get my referral for a bone scan next Wednesday (didn't want to go sooner as it is a long way away and I don't have my driving test until Wednesday afternoon) and on Wednesday morning I also go to see the head physiotherapist at my Sports Rehab. The physio said that her guess is that I don't have a stress fracture and that it is shin splints with soft tissue trauma but she's concerned at my lack of improvement. There is still a lot of pain and inflamation around the tibia and in my lower shin. Boy, the treatments hurt! Deep tissue massage on inflamed tissue and knotted muscle brings murder to mind! The rest of the treatments are quite relaxing though and at least I feel like I am doing something towards my recovery. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow some sort of exercise machine off my SIL when she returns from holiday. Then at least I can get some decent cross training in. Tomorrow it is three weeks since the race (and still no results) so we will have to wait and see what happens from here. Didn't want you all to think that I had forgotten you though so I thought I would pop in and update. I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there again, but I have learnt the virtue of patience the hard way. Who knows, maybe I will have a miracle recovery in the next few days. Meanwhile it's physio every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and some crossed fingers to get me through it. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Once a runner... Hang in there. The road awaits.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You ran a race and kicked some major ass....you will be back to do it again, I am certain of this. You ARE a runner! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

You ran a race and kicked some major ass....you will be back to do it again, I am certain of this. You ARE a runner! Smile k
          What she said. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

dillydoodles

A strong woman isn't afraid of anything ... but a woman of strength shows courage in the midst of her fear... A strong woman won't let anyone get the best of her ... but a woman of strength gives the best of her to everyone... A strong woman makes mistakes and avoids the same in the future... a woman of strength realizes life's mistakes can also be God's blessings and capitalizes on them... A strong woman walks sure footedly ... but a woman of strength knows God will catch her when she falls... A strong woman wears the look of confidence on her face ... but a woman of strength wears grace... A strong woman has faith that she is strong enough for the journey ... but a woman of strength has faith that it is in the journey that she will become strong... -- author unknown You have been a strong woman Claire. While you are healing be a woman of strength. You'll become all the stronger for it. (Am I schmaltzy or what? LOL!) You were and ARE a runner. Best wishes to you during your recovery. ~ Arlene

Prophet!

pace bunnies of all distances fear your return...
                Have hope, Claire, that was me last year. They thought I would be 2 -3 weeks - it was a lot longer. I had to restart the run/walk program 3 times before I could tolerate single leg impact, but when I finally could start the program (run 1 - walk 5) it progressed quite rapidly. I also had huge knots that had to be broken down with deep tissue massage - I feel your pain! Truly - once you can tolerate impact, it will progress quickly. You are most defintely a runner! I look forward to reading your future race reports! Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Oh Claire, I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting any better. Maybe we can start our own support group for the injured runners. My physical therapist discharged me, even though the pain is still there. She has no idea what's wrong with me anymore since the pain is inconsistent. I received that deep muscle massage as well as ultra sound therapy and let's just say that the pain wasn't the only thing on my mind... Shocked
                  mikeymike

I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there again...
                    Then you are a runner. Have faith. You'll get there.

Runners run

You'll ruin your knees!

Hang in there Claire! I see that you have the results from the race now and pr'aps that'll make you rest better! A friend of mine, one of the toughest ladies I know says..."Some women follow their dreams, others mercilessly chase them down till they catch them"...not sure where she got that, but I think it fits you quite nicely! It'll come, now study for your driving test! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Finished!

Claire, I'm so sorry to hear you're not healing Sad I find myself in the same boat of sorts. I look forward to hearing of your diagnosis and watching your recovery Smile Hang in there - perhaps we can chase the race bunnies down together Big grin
                        Walk + Jog = wog.
                        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Now that was a bath...

A friend of mine, one of the toughest ladies I know says..."Some women follow their dreams, others mercilessly chase them down till they catch them"...not sure where she got that, but I think it fits you quite nicely! It'll come, now study for your driving test! Lynn B
                          Tongue Who is this woman and does she run faster than me? Spritey - i'll chase those bunnies with you. Happy Healing! We'll get there. Eric - how frustrating that you haven't resolved your issue. We ceratinly should look at an injury support group because I feel a bit bad dwelling on it too much here. Not running is so much harder than running. In fact I think that we all deserve medals for 'Not running' so well. I never knew that I had it in me, the ability to 'not do something' so well. Arlene - great poem. I'll try to be that woman of strength and I am determined to move forward from here without further injury Where would I be without my RA friends to vent to! Claire xxx
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                            Claire, I haven't been injured from running yet, but last spring I thought I about broke my left leg and wrecked my left ankle at the very end of a 2 hr rollerblading trip! This was before I started running again, but I took long walks on a regular basis and suddenly I could barely hobble around. It was so frustrating. Patience is not my virtue, so waiting until I got better while basically doing nothing (in wonderful sunny weather i might add) was torture! I understand your frustration. Never doubt yourself and ask if you're a runner!! Girl, you kick some butt! I think everyone on this site should be commended! Hey-we're all "kickin' butt" in our own way! Big grin
                            bas

Claire, You will get well again and you will continue to run! As all those folks say: You are a runner. And strong! I keep saying that, don't I? Tongue But now I see I'm not the only one. Best wishes from the other side of the globe. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Claire, Runners think about running when they can't run! Runners go through painful physical therapy so that they can one day run again. Runners drive long distances for bone scans just to try to get a definitive diagnosis. Runners obsess about what kind of cross training would not hurt. Translation: YOU ARE A RUNNER!! And you will run again! I was off for almost 8 weeks just 3 months before my first race (a 25K) with multiple bilateral stress fractures. I was sure I wouldn't make it back to my previous training level in time to finish that race. And I did...in a PR time! It can be done & you will do it! Recover my runner friend!! Smile Eryn
                                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3