Training strategy for multiple HMs? (Read 497 times)

I'm running the Athens GA half in a couple of weeks, and I'd also like to run the Atlanta half on Thanksgiving Day. Does anyone have advice on how to adjust my workouts during the weeks between the two races? Is repeating the last four weeks of my current workout plan a good idea? Or would some shorter races in between be a good way to stay sharp? I think I'm ready to run a sub-20 5k for the first time, so that's a tempting option.

an amazing likeness

Don't know about you...but I'd expect to need a few (2 - 3) easy days to recover from a half marathon race effort, before settling back into the normal routine. With a full month (5 weeks?) between the two races...do you need a training plan?

One approach to consider could be easy runs for the first week after the first HM until you feel good, then focus on tempo runs and intervals as your quality workouts to keep race turnover and form, with 1.5 hour long run on the middle two weekends?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

Why do you think you need to adjust your workouts in between? With your mileage I figure you can just roll on. I raced a HM on Sept 23 and I have another on Oct 21. I haven't made any major adjustment. I raced a 5k a week after the first HM. I'm also planning a 5k a week after the next one but that's just coincidental.

Runners run

Why do you think you need to adjust your workouts in between? With your mileage I figure you can just roll on. I raced a HM on Sept 23 and I have another on Oct 21. I haven't made any major adjustment. I raced a 5k a week after the first HM. I'm also planning a 5k a week after the next one but that's just coincidental.

I think I'm still getting used to the idea that I can just "roll on"...so maybe that is the best thing to do. I wasn't even sure that I could handle 60mpw when I stepped up, but this has been the longest injury-free stretch I've had yet. Maybe my attitude needs to catch up with my body.

I think I'm still getting used to the idea that I can just "roll on"...so maybe that is the best thing to do. I wasn't even sure that I could handle 60mpw when I stepped up, but this has been the longest injury-free stretch I've had yet. Maybe my attitude needs to catch up with my body.

Your consistent training volume should allow you to roll on like Mikey suggested, as long as you listen to your body.  I think MilkTruck hit it with a couple easy days, then back at it.  In the run-up to a marathon, if there is one available I like to hit a hard run half three or four weeks out as a fitness gauge.

Unless it takes more than a couple days to recover from a hard-run 5k, feel free to toss one or two in there while you're at it.  Races make such a nice accent color in your training log graph.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.