Running w/music & apps??? (Read 174 times)

During races? No, not really.

Training runs? Yes. But most of the time but I run without cars around.

brandicted

Just curious, for those of you who run half or full marathons, do you run a) listening to music, b) using a running app, or c) both?

I do smile but I fear towards the end of a long/hard run it probably looks more like a grimace...!

Cheap and Evil Girl

I train with music if I am running alone, no music if I have my dog with me.  Use running app only if I am measuring out a new route, or when doing the Zombies, Run! app which is a story interspersed with music, very entertaining.

For racing I have never yet run with music or an app, but I am reconsidering it for this year.  I get extremely nervous before and during the first couple miles of the race, it is excruciating.  I was thinking music might help calm me down.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING.  

"Mental toughness is built by doing something that is hard over and over again, especially when you don't feel like doing it. Our society has conditioned us to believe that there should be no discomfort, to stop when we are uncomfortable. But the discomfort we feel when we're doing a challenging workout is an important part of the strengthening process." -Jim Afremow, The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive

bap

Pet peeve is people running with headphones during races.

I've never run outside with headphones but I did run on a treadmill listening to music once or twice.

Age 52

2016 Targets - 100 - 13.2s, 400 - 62s, 800 - 2:30, Mile - 5:40

Run n Drum

Always when running on the dreadmill, which isn't too often.  Rarely on training runs outside.  Never in a race or on a trail.

RnD

There is sorta non-written law that says that in a race you realise that you are gettign to the front positions when you pass the last guy/chick with earphones.

As a matter of fact, in these races were competition and recreational runners start separated I have never seen anybody among the competitors with earphones.

When I train I don't wear any electronic music device either, but sometimes I provide some excellent entertainment (soem would say utter annoyance) to fellow runners by singing Iron Maiden stuff  or soviet revolutionary songs (1) while running, specially uphill. I don't know why, actually.

And no, I don't do this in races.

(1) I'm neither Russian nor commy, but check out the song "Tatchanjka"about a machine-gun car,

When I run I feel like a swallow

Because you are free like a bird?

Nope, because of all the flies I eat.