Run more to get fast (Read 586 times)

I guess this is not really news, but one more data point suggesting that run more to get fast might be true.
    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

"Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas states that you "train" fast twitch to have slow twitch characteristics. Or words to that affect.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

JimR

I would fully expect that highly trained XC runners to have more development of all fiber types over rec runners. Why would this be a surprise? It's not like they would be doing only long slow distance.
          Yes after I read it the second time around, I did not see the point of the study either. Any regular runner would have stronger muscles across all types compare to a recreationally active individual, especially in the calf muscles.. Since the full text of the study is not available, I was just going by the following conclusion. "These data indicate that highly trained endurance runners have elevated contraction velocity in both slow- and fast-twitch myofibers. These characteristics of the fast-twitch muscle fibers have not been previously reported in competitive endurance athletes and may contribute to the high level of running performance in these athletes."