How to prep for two marathons 4 weeks apart (Read 172 times)

bhearn

You have to take into consideration the specific race he was running.  Steamtown is a terribly difficult race to pace, and you simply can't look at it and say "negative split".  You lose a hell of a lot of altitude in the first half, mostly in the first 7 miles, making much common pacing advice irrelevant.

Frankly, with a 3:20 goal going through half in that race in 1:35 isn't awfully bad.  

Ah, well fair enough, then!

Lol, that is no joke. I feel if i run this race again, that i will have to train several miles on downhills to simulate the beating our quads take. You never know the severity until you actually run it.

I ran 2 miles last night and it was hell on my quads. It wasn't injured pain, it was wtf are you doing to me, haven't i suffered enough pain. 

Yeah, quad DOMS. The good news is it should fade quickly at this point.

Here is Pfitzinger's schedule for 4 weeks between marathons. But you'll have to adjust for how you feel.

dallison

registered pw

So far so good. I am going to follow higdon's 4 week recovery plan and go from there. looking at Pfitzinger's plan, that is more aggressive than higdon's and i am not prepared for that mileage yet.

I will look at both when, or if i decide to train for another.

I at least have up until the wednesday before the race to register. Then i can watch the weather and see how my body is feeling before registering for it.

Thanks all for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Runningmomto2

Just popping in to say, I wouldn't push the recovery. Your quads have microtears that are going to take some time to heal.

Also, when/if you do run Boston, be super cautious about pacing. People take the first 15 miles of that course too fast all the time, then suffer on the Newton Hills.

Run your own race.