Water Strategy for Ten-Mile Race (Read 207 times)

gone2run

I am so happy to be running in the Army Ten Miler in October--and running in the first wave--yay!  I have been training hard, and want to make sure I have "covered all the bases," so to speak.  I have a dilemma in regard to fluid intake during the race.  I am thinking I will opt for water twice in the second half of the race, at miles six and eight.  Should I use the straw method--i.e. carry a straw and drink from the water cup that way--or should I bring my own water bottle?  The straw method saves some weight over the course of ten miles, while my water bottle--a plastic, hand-shaped bottle with a strap--gives me the option of carrying what I wish (i.e. Vitamin Water, etc.) and letting me sip when I please.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions you may have in regard to this, and I thank you in advance.  This is my first ten-miler, and I hope all will go well.

npaden

What's wrong with the option of carrying nothing and just drinking a cup from an aid station when you are thirsty?

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

gone2run

Good question.. I am terrible at drinking from those cups.  The last time, I did nothing but choke, got no water down, and probably lost about 15 seconds in the process.  I was hoping the straw would help.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I ran the Army Ten Miler two years ago and as slow as I am I don't remember

having to stop for water at all.  It was 50f.

The first two miles was very crowded even for the first start waves.  Due to the crowd the

first water stop came as a surprise and I nearly ran up some guy's back side when he

stopped for water.  After that the crowd cleared out.

There were only 4 porta-potties near the very front start waves.  Providing that it is set up the

same this year, you  might want to take that in to consideration when you jump into your start wave.

Plenty of them farther back but not near the front.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Unless it is hot or you are going to be out there for 2+ hours, I would not worry about water at all.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

gone2run

I was thinking this may be the case.  I tend to not need water very much, and so I appreciate the input.

Wow, only four porta potties.

With regard to the 2012 race, the race now has eight waves.  I think it had only two or three back then.  Hence, things should be less congested in the first mile or two.

stshipley7

Good question.. I am terrible at drinking from those cups.  The last time, I did nothing but choke, got no water down, and probably lost about 15 seconds in the process.  I was hoping the straw would help.

I'm in the same boat. My strategy is to get a half full cup (or pour some out) seal the top of the cup so only a tiny hole is available to suck the water through.

And just in case there is a spill, I only get water, not a sports drink.

-STS

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

With regard to the 2012 race, the race now has eight waves.  I think it had only two or three back then.  Hence, things should be less congested in the first mile or two.

No.  That was 2011 and before.

steph  

kcam

I'm the same as you with regards to drinking water from the cups they hand out.  I tend to swallow water AND air and I end up coughing some and getting out of breath. Definitely slows me down.  For a 10 miler I wouldn't even consider drinking anything during the race unless it was super hot.  And then I'd think about not running the race.

Just a dude.

You could also practice this... Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

spinach

You could also practice this... Wink

-Kelly

+1

I used to choke all the time when I tried to get a drink in a race, one time I thought I was about to drown in a race. That got me  to practice grabbing a cup and drinking on the run.  I quickly got used to it and I haven't had any problems with drinking on the run in years.  Practice does help.

gone2run

I think I will get some paper cups, and do some practicing during training runs.  I do not think I would need water more than once in the ten miles, but it would be comforting to know how to do so without choking.  I agree: it is a terrible feeling.  I choked more than "drowned," but I can see what you mean.

I appreciate all of the input.  I welcome any other thoughts on the race.

SubDood

pinch cup

I pinch the cup (even more than shown above) and pour it into my mouth from the side ... I also walk and drink sometimes, but you have to make sure there is no one coming up from behind you. If it's hot enough that you need the water, the few seconds you lose from walking shouldn't make too much difference.

gone2run

I had heard that pinching the cup makes it easier.  A picture is worth a thousand words, though.  Very helpful--thanks!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

What have you been doing on training runs? Myself, I like to carry water if I'm running 10 miles because I want control over when I can have a drink if I think I need one. If you aren't drinking on training runs, I wouldn't suddenly introduce that on race day. It wouldn't be good to find out on race day that you drank too much at mile eight and felt sloshy in the last 2 miles.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.