Is sub 3 possible for me in 9 weeks? 16 weeks actually (Read 624 times)

40:18

Predictions ?

41:03

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

Failed!!!

I couldn't hold it to the end. At mile 4, thinking about another 2.2 miles to go, I just gave up. Sad

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

L Train

5:35.

That was downhill. Is it still too far?

5:35.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Goorun

Fast?

Yes.

Marathon prediction:

If half split is 1:33-34 = 3:10- 3:11

If faster = crash and burn.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

The Pocatello Kid.

If you meant fast then yes 535 is way too fast.

But I'm still not a fan of a time trial. Much wiser more experienced runners here, but I couldn't get myself up and run close to a true 10k effort solo on a random Friday night.

This thread is excellent. It has everything.

Feeling the growl again

Fast?

Yes.

Marathon prediction:

If half split is 1:33-34 = 3:10- 3:11

If faster = crash and burn.

+1.  Why did you go out in 5:35?  You're >30sec faster than your average pace.  I know it was downhill, hard to tell how much with no scale on the vertical axis, but still.  (OK I see it now, 71 ft fall does not justify that fast a pace).

I recommend you go out at 3:10 pace for the first few miles and under no circumstances, no matter how good you feel, allow yourself to go faster.  Then you can speed up a little bit so you come through the half in 1:33 or so.  Hold that average pace until AT LEAST 20 miles.   Then run by feel.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Goorun

Fastest pace for your marathon I would suggest is 7 mpm. That would give you 1:31:42 half.

Goorun

+1.  Why did you go out in 5:35?  You're >30sec faster than your average pace.  I know it was downhill, hard to tell how much with no scale on the vertical axis, but still.  (OK I see it now, 71 ft fall does not justify that fast a pace).

I recommend you go out at 3:10 pace for the first few miles and under no circumstances, no matter how good you feel, allow yourself to go faster.  Then you can speed up a little bit so you come through the half in 1:33 or so.  Hold that average pace until AT LEAST 20 miles.   Then run by feel.

This is the golden rule of marathon running. 20 miles is where you will usually know how you'll finish. It is the effort half, sometimes called the "true marathon half point".

xhristopher

If this thread didn't already have everything... I just ran this weeks speed workout as a 10,000 meter tempo on the track to get an idea of what you fools just talked David into doing. I feel mid 37 fit right now and running 38:59 alone was pretty rough. It was one of the harder tempos I've ever run.

David, I think you are sub 2:10 30K fit right now. I stand by what I said earlier about the most miserable 3:20-30 marathon ever. You need at least a few more months.

Feeling the growl again

If this thread didn't already have everything... I just ran this weeks speed workout as a 10,000 meter tempo on the track to get an idea of what you fools just talked David into doing. I feel mid 37 fit right now and running 38:59 alone was pretty rough. It was one of the harder tempos I've ever run.

David, I think you are sub 2:10 30K fit right now. I stand by what I said earlier about the most miserable 3:20-30 marathon ever. You need at least a few more months.

So you're going for sub-3 this fall then?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

xhristopher

So you're going for sub-3 this fall then?

I've collected all the sub 3 indicators out there. None of it seems to matter. Yet I keep trying. Registered for Baystate, I am.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I've collected all the sub 3 indicators out there. None of it seems to matter. Yet I keep trying. Registered for Baystate, I am.

I still think your only real problems were lack of sufficient recovery between attempts and bloody bad weather.  You are definitely, in shape for it, and have been for a while.

As for David, 5:35?  I hope your marathon discipline is a lot better than that.

Also, if you had a December marathon, and took the heart a lot of the suggestions in this thread (mostly increasing mileage into the 70s at the minimum), I think you might have a chance at a sub3.  But not in 2 weeks.

* while I don't recommend it, I can't help but hope you prove us all wrong.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

Bam.  You got this.  So you can credit this tempo after and buy me a beer when I am in Boston next April.  Wink

drifter

Your 1:22:30 half is not more than enough an indicator?