Knee Pain (Read 1809 times)

During runs (over 5 miles) I sometimes get a pain right below the knee cap on the  top of my knee.  Generally if I slow down it seems to subside.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what this may be.  I think i've ruled shoes out (only 250 miles on them).  Over use or just getting older?

During runs (over 5 miles) I sometimes get a pain right below the knee cap on the  top of my knee.  Generally if I slow down it seems to subside.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what this may be.  I think i've ruled shoes out (only 250 miles on them).  Over use or just getting older?

If the pain subsides if you slod down, it may be a sign that you SHOULD slow down.  I don't know how many times A DAY you run but running a 5-mile could be a hard-sell for "over-use" syndrome unless, of course, if you just started running 2 weeks ago.

We are ALL getting older every day.  Even a 3-year-old is getting older.  Maybe giving us some starting point may help "diagnose" what you have.

Frankly, I can't even picture where this "right below the knee cap on the top of my knee" is located...

Black-Toe-Nailed

Hi,

Well, Knee pain is quite common and it has a lot of causes.

What I do when I have any sort of pain is looking up the spot here in Google Body Browser:

http://bodybrowser.googlelabs.com/body.html#

You can then find the exact muscles / tendons that it's related too and then Google it and either find a solution or ask your doctor.

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
        then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
        I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hi,

What I do when I have any sort of pain is looking up the spot here in Google Body Browser:

You can then find the exact muscles / tendons that it's related too and then Google it and either find a solution or ask your doctor.

That's very cool.

(modified to make link)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Knee pain is the result of improperr tracking of the patella in the joint. That can be cured by improving your running mechanics.

The tendons of the quadruceps travel through the knee to attach to your lower leg, if the pain is directly in the middle of your kneecap, it usually means you're running with too much forward lean in your form.

When the quadruceps fire, their first biomechanic influence is to pull the kneecap back into your femur which increases its friction which you feel as pain.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Thanks everyone for the responses!  It seems to be the patella tendon according to Google Body Browser (what a cool tool that is. Thanks LedLincoln).  If anyone has had problems with the patella tendon, I'm all ears.  Thanks again and happy running! 

correction Patellar Tendon, not patella

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Don't thank me, thank Enric.

Hi,

Oh, wow! The body browser works even if you are a cow!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Oh, wow! The body browser works even if you are a cow!

Um, not getting it.

If you click on "links" and scroll to the bottom, you can choose "Google Cow."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If you click on "links" and scroll to the bottom, you can choose "Google Cow."

Smile

heelgrad92

Thanks everyone for the responses!  It seems to be the patella tendon according to Google Body Browser (what a cool tool that is. Thanks LedLincoln).  If anyone has had problems with the patella tendon, I'm all ears.  Thanks again and happy running! 

I had this for little while a few years ago. It made going up and down stairs very tricky. I went to the ortho, a fellow marathoner, and he told me to get on the bike three times a week to balance the strength in my quads. For newer runners the outside of the quads can get develop ahead of the inside, and the imbalance causes the tracking problem in your knee cap. I got on the bike, and haven't had a problem since.
                            rojiakter

spam
                              Zelanie

McConnell taping did wonders for my knee until the PT exercises helped me get over the problem on a longer-term basis.