How do you know what race distance is right for you? (Read 694 times)

JakeKnight

Why can't you race multiple distances? I love the marathon. But sometimes I wonder if I should be striving for a 200 meter sprint, what with how my legs are built and all.
    I recommend 42 miles instead. It's very similar to the 200 meter sprint, but longer. And darker.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

I agree with Scout... try'em all on for size and see what you like best. You may find that 100 milers are the most fun for you as I found out last weekend.
        What we dont have many of that I see a lot of people talk about are 10 milers.
        That's funny because in DC we have two very popular 10 milers. The Cherry Blossom and the Army Ten Miler. For all I know there may be more that are less popular. We have more races in this area than we know what to do with but I've never seen a 30K. Guess it's time for Google. Not really sure why I'm interested other than that's probably the longest distance I could "race" at my current training level.
        2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
        xor

The Pacific Northwest is LOADED with races of all distances, all year round. But I find it fun to see people talk about "3k pace" and "15k pace" because up here, those races are basically extinct. I know of one 10 miler. Oh wait, and I know of one 15k. I know why these two paces come up, but it surely is hard to find races for them. I know of no 30ks up here.

mikeymike

I do a fair amount of training at 3k pace and 15k pace. I've never raced either distance.

Runners run

xor

I do a fair amount of training at 3k pace and 15k pace. I've never raced either distance.
              Yeah, I know a lot of people do. I just have a hard time determining what my pace would be in races of that distance without being in an actual race environment. Ding on me, I know, but there you have it. I've tried to do that a few time at the 5k distance, both on the road and 5000 around a track. In both cases, I was 30-60 seconds slower than my actual 5k race time (which is obviously a lot). I suck.

I'm currently training for my first marathon...mostly just to experience it at least once. I already know that I LOVE distances from 15-25k, so if I decide that one marathon is enough, so be it. It's a much greater time and money commitment, so that works against it. Also doesn't help that my first significant injury came 2 weeks before training started and has nagged me for 3+ months, now. That kind of thing really wears on a person and colors their perception. Plus concentrating on a specific range of distances allows one to specialize and get relatively good at that range. I'm really bummed that I won't be able to fit a HM in this year, as a matter of fact. I always enjoyed training for my halfs (halves?) and 25ks, but I'm not really lovin' the marathon training, thus far. Right now I am 11.5 weeks into an 18 week training plan and the taper cannot come soon enough, at this point. So it's great to have a lofty goal like the marathon, but it's also OK to do one and never do another...or be content with shorter distances from the get-go, too. Most of us who start running in our 30s find that all distances are a major accomplishment and something to be proud of.
                Thanks for this Zoomy!! I think we are similar (although you are "ahead" of me, if that makes sense). I think I will do like-wise and at some point do a marathon, just so I can experience it. I doubt I will do many, mostly due to the time commitment. I did start in my 30s and do find that ALL distances are a major accomplishment and am super proud everytime I go further than last time. Smile

http://www.runningnotes.net

Prince of Fatness

This year I've done 2 5K's, a 4 miler, a 5 miler, a 10K, and a half marathon. I must say I have enjoyed the variety. I don't have time to devote to marathon training this year, but I do have a 10 miler on tap for the fall. Not sure what else I do. If I had to pick my favorite distance it would be the half marathon.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

The Pacific Northwest is LOADED with races of all distances, all year round. But I find it fun to see people talk about "3k pace" and "15k pace" because up here, those races are basically extinct. I know of one 10 miler. Oh wait, and I know of one 15k. I know why these two paces come up, but it surely is hard to find races for them. I know of no 30ks up here.
                    http://www.orrc.net/races/champoeg/champoeg.htm This is about 20 minutes south of Portland. Three loop course through mostly paved partially wooded walking trail.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Thanks for that link! They do another race in Oct/Nov called "Autumn Leaves" at the same place. A 10k/50k/50 miler. I did the 50k last year. I wrote 'Pacific Northwest', but honestly when I was thinking of 3k and 15k, I really meant "within a couple hours of Seattle". I wouldn't travel further than that for a short race unless it had go go dancers. I might actually travel for a 30k. Thanks.