Teff (Read 720 times)

Anyone have pizza?

I've been hearing a lot about this lately. It is a whole grain that primarily grows in Ethiopia, and has much higher fiber, iron, calcium, potassium contents far more than any other whole grain out there. It looks like the elite marathoners eat this for breakfast (literally). Has anyone tried this stuff and if you have what does it taste like and have you noticed any benefits from it? (Funny answers accepted too... Tongue)
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Teff is related to millet. It is the basis for the bread used in Ethiopian restaurants, the spongy injera they serve. Good stuff. But It has not made me a faster or a better runner. It took running to do that.

running yogi

Where can I find this stuff ? I cannot find it anywhere, not even at my local Whole Foods store.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did you ask them? I see it everywhere these days. You can always order it online.

Vim

running yogi

Yeah, I called and asked. I'll just go ahead and order from Amazon. Thanks!
                Try here also: http://www.bobsredmill.com Shipping is very reasonable, and everything you get from there is awesome. Alot of whole foods/natural markets carry a limited supply of their stuff, but ordering online is TOO fun.... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

flatland mountaineer

Teff is related to millet. But
                  hmm raceme head, grows on limited moisture, short growing season different color varieties and looks an awful lot like millet. We could grow that here, I wonder if anyone has tried using white proso millet or german red millet in the same way and much cheaper I would guess also. Noticing many of the elites at the Bolder Boulder race I was at were actually Ethiopians guess its not suprising they (elites) would eat the stuff. Oh most common use for millet is in bird seed mixes, most of it is grown in my area of the high plains.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

hmm raceme head, grows on limited moisture, short growing season different color varieties and looks an awful lot like millet. We could grow that here, I wonder if anyone has tried using white proso millet or german red millet in the same way and much cheaper I would guess also. Noticing many of the elites at the Bolder Bouler race I was at were actually Ethiopians guess its not suprising they would eat the stuff. Oh most common use for millet is in bird seed mixes, most of it is grown in my area of the high plains.
                    totally!

running yogi

Teff is related to millet. It is the basis for the bread used in Ethiopian restaurants, the spongy injera they serve. Good stuff. But It has not made me a faster or a better runner. It took running to do that.
                      Trent, Have you ever made injera yourself ? do u have a good recipe ? Zeba
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have. I usually make it with wheat flour. There are two ways to make it. You can either make it the traditional way, which involves 3 days of fermentation, or you can just mix the flour with water and sparkling water. The former is better, but takes a while. The latter is faster and not as sour. Basically, mix teff and water to the right consistency, about 3:4 teff:water. Let sit for 2-4 days until it is bubbly (or add some sourdough starter and let sit for 24 hours). Salt to taste. Cook like pancakes, but without flipping.

jules2

Thank heavens Ethiopia has plenty of food spare to export. Let me get this straight they export birdseed for runners to eat and in return you send wheat as food aid, cool.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

running yogi

Thank heavens Ethiopia has plenty of food spare to export. Let me get this straight they export birdseed for runners to eat and in return you send wheat as food aid, cool.
                            millet is a popular grain back home also. americans should eat some of it too(and not give it all away to birds), instead of the white fluff they eat all the time.