Endurance of the equine variety (Read 192 times)

Anybody else do horse sports as cross-training? I'm focused on dressage at the moment, but have dabbled in competitive trail riding and limited distance endurance, and I have the chance to do a 25 mile ride-and-tie event this weekend, it should be a lot of fun! Would love to hear stories from anyone who's done something similar (the only thread I found on the subject was this one http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/38075d78220b41eb88afce8ca552cde8#focus and it was for biking). Thanks Smile

Hill Slug

A long time ago, I trained for 3 day eventing, but that's well in my past.  My lack of depth perception and general cowardness didn't help me much.    I did devote some time to dressage training while living in Europe, but then running took over exclusively for a few years.  These days, I'm limited to trail riding with my two old guys.  My "dressage" pony is in his mid-30's and my retired Standardbred Pacer is in his mid-20's.   I've never done a Ride and Tie but absolutely love the concept.  I also like the idea of the obstacle rides that are becoming popular.  Please let me know how it goes!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

sugnim

I sometimes dodge & jump over horse apples on trails.  But, that's probably not what you had in mind.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

When I started running I was competing in dressage . I found the running helped with dressage,  I have a bad back and the running somehow made it possible to sit the trot more comfortably . Dressage probably helped with running keeping my core strong . Right now the only horse cross training I do is caring for the 6 mostly retirees that I still have. I have met several people who did endurance then started running . My friend has done several Ride & Ties and had great fun .

mollyrose, I love what you wrote about being a bit of a weenie with the three-day eventing-that's why I stick to stuff that keeps all four hooves on the ground Smile very envious of your dressage training in Europe-that must've been a neat experience!...I haven't heard of obstacle rides, except for maybe the 6-7 mile rides where you go over logs, bridges, and that sort of thing and are judged on your horse's willingness (my silly arab probably wouldn't be the best candidate for that-she freaks out about gopher tortoises and isn't a big fan of water either)

sugnim, I apologize on behalf of all us riders whose horses have left messes on the trail for runners to avoid Roll eyes  (though from what I've read in some posts, plenty of runners leave messes of their own on/near the trail when the urge strikes Undecided)

valerienv, I am waiting for the day my back stops hurting when riding...it hurt before I started running and it still does at 35 or so miles per week...did you ever do yoga or pilates? I've thought about looking into that, though there's not enough time in the week to get everything done! Do you know what kind of horse your friend used for R&T? Does it take a long time to get them used to being tied and standing calmly while their person runs off? I just can't see my mare being ok with that, at least right away...

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I did yoga every day so I could keep riding . My friend used her endurance horse,  an Arab gelding . He was not the best ride & tie horse he would get much too excited . At the National Championships he bucked her off near the start and she finished the course with a broken arm . That same horse was a very consistant endurance horse I think he has @1,500 AERC miles including a couple Tevis finishes . I have a now retired show Arab who would have been great for ride & tie,  his show experience made him immune to things going on around him but years of dressage left him with arthritis and I don't think he would vet.

sugnim

sugnim, I apologize on behalf of all us riders whose horses have left messes on the trail for runners to avoid Roll eyes  (though from what I've read in some posts, plenty of runners leave messes of their own on/near the trail when the urge strikes Undecided) 

Haha.  No problem.  When you gotta go, you gotta go whether your're a human or a horse.  Proper human etiquette is to bury your mess if you are on a trail, and I'd hope that most people would do so.  I'm not sure what proper horse etiquette is.

hey varliernv, I guess I will have to start with the yoga/strength training as well, my instructor yesterday said my core is weak and it keeps me from the proper seat/position Sad    love reading about tevis, I can't even imagine how cool it would be to finish that-we have yet to do a ride over 30 miles...your friend must have nerves (and body) of steel to do a r&t w/ a broken arm!...sorry to hear about your boy's arthritis Sad

Hill Slug

Sugnim -  I love the sign!  On the trail,  I'd rather encounter fresh horse droppings than fresh bear droppings.

Valerienv - You have 6!  Wow.  LOL.  I thought I was bad.   I love having them around.    Although when it was -9F yesterday, I was glad my husband was doing the morning feed.

I do a pilates/yoga class now 2-3 times a week.  It has done wonders for me.  My core has really strengthened (and my waistline has decreased!).  I have some chronic issues (pain, stiffness, limited Range of Motion) with my back and left leg that dates back to a childhood riding accident.  It has really improved.  I notice if I miss a few weeks of classes, I start getting symptoms again (popping in my lower back when extending my leg, pain/weakness in my leg, etc).

Pony_tale, I can't wait to hear how the R&T goes!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I just lost one last weekend , he was 28 ,  6 is the lowest number for me in close to 20 years .

I started running because of endurance . I crewed the Tevis 5 times and one of those years was the 50th several Western States runners came back and ran with the horses in honor of that . I was standing at Foresthill waiting for my friend and saw those guys come running in with the mid pack horses it made an impression on me . My friend also always ran the canyons I think she would run pretty close to 20 miles of the course . I thought I should start running,  next thing I knew I was just running without the horses .

Yoga really helped my riding I did it every day but I think you could benefit from it even just a couple times a week .

seattlechica

I rode horses all through junior high and high school (mostly eventing).  I miss it tons but it's so expensive in the city (Seattle) and I am so busy working full time and taking night classes (and training for a marathon) that I don't get to do it nearly as much as I'd like to anymore.  I definitely hope to own one (or a few!) some day!

****25 Mile Ride & Tie Race Report**** Big grin & Embarrassed

The R&T was so much fun! We were the only team to do it, everyone else at this endurance/CTR event thought we were nuts.  My human partner was super fit, he's ridden 30+ 100-mile rides and is in his early 20s, he was like the energizer bunny! I'd catch glimpses of him bounding along the trail like a deer...Our borrowed horse partner was a rock star, he had never done one of these, but he could not be more suited to it...every time I'd come upon him tied to a tree, he'd be standing there totally peacefully, smart enough to know he should take the opportunity to rest and not be a prancy fool, and he had lovely gaits and his speed was rate-able--he was a total joy to ride!  I was definitely the team's weak link, mainly b/c I have a bad case of TMID (Trail Marking Interpretation Disorder)...I did not miss any ribbons, but I'd read the ribbons wrong and turn the wrong way, or go the correct way and somehow convince myself I'd seen the same spot before and then turn back around to get myself reoriented...I ended up logging 30 miles on my garmin (5 extra!) b/c of it, and only one of those was while mounted-yikes! Felt like I was going to die by the end, had run out of water an hour before and could not get enough to drink at the finish line...would I do it again? Hell yes! Would I do it again anytime soon and without working on my sense of direction and having more hydration available? Hell no!

Ultra Cowboy

I want to do a R&T this year.  Gotta get finished with Way too Cool 50 k and then my potential partner has to get done with Western States.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Ultra Cowboy

I'm trying to figure out what my method is going to be to get my horse in shape , and do 40 mile weeks myself.

Anyone have a couch to 50k conditioning plan for my pasture gelding getting an hour a week in the arena?

What are the thoughts of max distance/time as I trail run with him, perhaps with my daughter riding.  Probably 12 minute miles? 100 feet of elevation gain per mile.

WYBMADIITY

Save

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Check out  Endurance.net they have great information on how to get started and the forum there called Ridecamp has a bunch of people who have been doing it forever  who can offer advice .