DH wants to gain weight.....suggestions? (Read 454 times)

runninggirl30

So my DH wants to gain weight.  He is currently 6'1 and weights 155 lbs.  He has muscle and is lean but doesn't have a lot of bulk.  He has always struggled to keep weight on and put it on.  It's taken him about 15 yrs just to gain 20 lbs.  Anyway he does some weights but not crazy just biceps and push ups.  I work at a gym so I know a little bit and have shown him different moves for shoulders, tri/bi, back and chest but he only lifts with free weights at home so his equipment is limited.  He just started taking a weight gainer two days ago.  Any other tips/suggestions?  Thanks!

an amazing likeness

I get a lot of spam offering notions to help with this.

Also, ice cream & apple pie will help.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

That's a bit of an unfortunate choice of words for a subject.

But tell him to consume more calories than he expends, particularly protein if the goal is to build muscle.

Marylander

If he's not lactose intolerant milk makes this easy. Just add in 8-16 oz of 2% or whole milk every day, making sure not to compensate by eating less. The only problem with working to gain weight is that it's difficult to arrest once you're older and weight wants to come on due to metabolism slow down...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just post his email address all over the Internet, and he'll probably start getting all the great emails at which Mliktruck hints.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

#artbydmcbride

Some wives would tell him he is already big enough ..

Runners run

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

He needs to start doing squats or deadlifts or trapbar deadlifts and presses, heavy rows, dips.

To gain muscle you have get stronger.

I also agree there is no point in gaining fat.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

This is a simple program and it is free http://stronglifts.com/5x5/.  It will require a barbell, bench, and weights.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

runninggirl30

That's a bit of an unfortunate choice of words for a subject.

But tell him to consume more calories than he expends, particularly protein if the goal is to build muscle.

edited the title.....didn't think about that one 

He is currently 6'1 and weights 155 lbs.  He has muscle and is lean

Why does he want to gain weight?

What is his age?

Why ask this question in a running forum?

Additionally, Most people here are distance runners and are in the business of trying to be at his BMI.

runninggirl30

Why does he want to gain weight?

What is his age?

Why ask this question in a running forum?

Additionally, Most people here are distance runners and are in the business of trying to be at his BMI.

Yes I realize that the people on this site want to be where is but to answer your questions....

He wants to gain weight because he's not a runner and wants to gain muscle and some bulk (really why does it matter).

He's 33 (again not sure why that matters)

I ask this question on a running site (under the cross training forum) because a lot of people on here know more about this stuff than I do and I value the advice that I get from time to time.  Also because I'm not on any other sites or forums.

I'm fully aware that most runners on here are distance runners. I'm a runner myself which is exactly why I'm on this site in the first place and have been on here for a while.

Mysecondnewname

You husband has a "problem" that many would like to have. 

When I was lifting years ago, I thought Stuart McRobert's had good ideas:  http://www.amazon.com/Brawn-3rd-Stuart-McRobert/dp/9963916317/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412631407&sr=1-1&keywords=brawn

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

To not lose weight I was eating 2 loaves of bread with peanut butter a week. Running 1800 miles a year. He probably just need s to eat more often. I might eat 2 meals a day 3 times a week. I drive for a living. Stopping for fast food is not enticing.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

More pizza and beer

He needs to up his calories.  The easiest way to do so is add extra meals.  I would suggest adding 2 meals per day or he can count calories if he wants and shoot for 18 calories per pound to gain weight.  Yes, he should eat a little more protein but should worry most about getting the calories and try to make sure they are clean.

He should also be doing compound lifts and not waste time on bicep work.  A good program is http://stronglifts.com/.

Also, if he runs, he needs to cut back and keep the runs shorter.

If he sticks with this consistently, he will see changes.

So my DH wants to gain weight.  He is currently 6'1 and weights 155 lbs.  He has muscle and is lean but doesn't have a lot of bulk.  He has always struggled to keep weight on and put it on.  It's taken him about 15 yrs just to gain 20 lbs.  Anyway he does some weights but not crazy just biceps and push ups.  I work at a gym so I know a little bit and have shown him different moves for shoulders, tri/bi, back and chest but he only lifts with free weights at home so his equipment is limited.  He just started taking a weight gainer two days ago.  Any other tips/suggestions?  Thanks!

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly