Flying Pig Marathon - May 6th, 2012 (Read 1159 times)

So, after hearing people talk about it in the forums here (plus on Daily Mile, plus on the Barefoot Runners forums), I got interested in the Flying Pig Marathon.  I haven't even done my first marathon yet (that's this Sunday--eek!), but I ended up signing up for the Flying Pig last night to avoid the price increase. 

Hearing one of my coworkers talk about how amazing the crowd support is pushed me over the edge.

Anyway, thought I would start a thread of/for people doing it even though it's about six months away!

I'm Ryan Gilbert from Bellefontaine, OH.  I entered a predicted time of 3:29, which more or less terrifies me.

Anyone else running? Smile

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

Ojo

I'm in for the full.

Sara

MM #2929

I signed up last night for the full too.  As observed elsewhere on RA, either I saved $15 or wasted $75.   Ha.

Good luck this weekend! 

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Ack, dang double post.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Half.  Haven't done a half in >2 years.  Looking forward to it!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Doing the full pig.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Maybe the full here or Toronto a few weeks before

First off is that an African Grey parrot?  Used to have one as a kid.

Secondly, the flying pig is a really good race for a local one and that does not draw the big names.  The crowd support is very good but it is also a tough course. 

I'm still not sure if I will be running it or not even though I love it and it is local.  I would like to get started with the whole 50 states thing.  That way if I have a bad day or weather at least I got another state out of the way :-)

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                  • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                  • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Imminent Catastrophe

No, it's a Norwegian Blue.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You can tell by the way it's pining for the fjords.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Why yes, that is an African Grey.   As opposed to an African Swallow.  Or a Norwegian Blue.

He won't be running the Pig.  Short legs.  Gets distracted easily.  Couldn't make the 7-hour cut-off.  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can tell by the way it's pining for the fjords.

'e's not pining!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

undue monkey

The crowd support is very good but it is also a tough course. 

Yes and no. Lots of neighborhoods with great support but 21-25, while nice and flat, can be a bit of a wasteland when you need it most. The 100'/mile climb into Eden park from 5-8 is not trivial, but isn't a killer. It's a great event and you won't regret coming.

Yes and no. Lots of neighborhoods with great support but 21-25, while nice and flat, can be a bit of a wasteland when you need it most. The 100'/mile climb into Eden park from 5-8 is not trivial, but isn't a killer. It's a great event and you won't regret coming.

I'd do it again. PR course for me.

Get off my porch

Roxy27

my little devil

If I can keep my knee feeling good and star building up more mileage the Flying Pig is my goal for the spring!