You guys were absolutely correct. (Read 471 times)

Daren99

I started my couch to 5k today, and my lungs are way ahead of my legs and joints. I run loudly, I assume my heal is hitting first. I could feel it in my shins. How do I correct this form?

Daren

justrundan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUqkdPQHis

Try this video on running form.  there are a number of other video's in the same area of youtube.

Dan

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Try to increase your cadence (steps per minute).  You may feel funny at first, but it should help your form.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

bap

To achieve all of the above -  shorter steps.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

Daren99

I will try shorter strides. The chi running makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your help, thank you.

Why is it sideways?

All of that is good advice, but the main way you will get better form is through patience, as your body remembers how to run and you get fitter. Keep at it!

gpb

Be careful of the three too's...

Too much, too soon, too fast.

Too much... increase mileage gradually.
                Too soon... rest days are there for a reason, they're as important as running days.
                Too fast... patience grasshopper, speed will come in time. Focus on duration for now and don't worry about how quick you are.

It's so easy for the head to get in front of your body. Running yourself into an injury is no fun at all. Patience is critical at this stage.

Also - and I say this because you mention shin pain - make sure you have the right running shoes. Forget the shiny marketing and full page magazine ads - get to a real running store and get properly fitted. Many stores will use a treadmill with video setup where you can see how different shoes can help correct over/underpronation. This has a direct and distinct affect on your ankles, shins, knees, etc.

Daren99

Day 2 went much better. I shortened my stride and wore my new shoes. I ran much quieter. Still a little sore, but not so much in my shins. So overall a definite improvement. thank you for the great advice.

Daren

bap

Keep us updated Daren

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

Daren99

I have another question. I am currently running on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Does it hurt if I go on the elliptical for a half hour or so on my rest days?

Daren

an amazing likeness

I have another question. I am currently running on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Does it hurt if I go on the elliptical for a half hour or so on my rest days?

Daren

No, not at all.  It will be a good recovery workout while you're building up your "base" -- low impact.  Walking on your off days will be another good option.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Daren99

I didn't  know if it would good, bad, or otherwise. I didn't want to go overboard if rest was needed. Thank you for the input.

Daren

Daren99

Started week 2 today, going much better then week 1 started. No shin pain, a tiny Bit of lower back pain not really pain just an odd twinge. probably due to landing a little hard due to getting tired I think. Overall very happy with the progression.

Daren

Daren99

Those were good videos, thanks. Going to try those ideas on tomorrow's workout.

Daren