HS Runner Crawls Across Finish with Shattered Leg (Read 1038 times)

Next time we get a question like "should I run with a stress fracture?" we need to link to that post. Surprised
    SERIOUSLY that last thread about running w/ a stress fracture is mine and i am really 0_0 right now!
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Chuck Engle ran 10+ marathons last year with a stress fracture. He won many of them. Of course, the Monkey beat the Junkie.

Imminent Catastrophe

I don't think it's about second-guessing, but rather about worst-case scenarios. I ran the Honlolulu Marathon on a SF and lived to tell about it, but it did set me back about 6 months. As Chuck Engle learned, "best case" is you will finish and it won't get too much worse (highly unlikely, but possible, especially if you have the legs of Chuck) and it certainly will not go away without rest. Worst case, "SNAP!". The most likely outcome, as happened to me, is that you'll make it worse and pay the price with a LOT of time off. Bottom line, you can NOT "run through" a stress fracture with impunity.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Chuck Engle ran 10+ marathons last year with a stress fracture. He won many of them. Of course, the Monkey beat the Junkie.
          i am not chuck engle! i don't want to be! i am bummed about having to sit out 3-4 weeks, but i'm picking it over the possibility of having to sit out several months!

Crawling wasn't the issue. Getting up multiple times after hearing and feeling her leg break is. A state meet in high school for a promising athlete isn't that important. Running yourself into the ground is just stupid if you have any sort of college aspirations. I realize that she had no way of knowing this, but she also let down her sister. I'm sure that her sister was more worried about her breaking her leg than about her missing the wedding, but family is more important than a race. As for going to war, I'd be wasted on the front lines anyway. I'd do better with guerilla warfare and you wouldn't want me on the other side. Sure, I might give up easily, but you wouldn't be able to tell me from any other peasant on the side of the road when your vehicles tires get blown off by the land mines. Wink Hindsight is 20/20. I wouldn't be surprised if I would have done something stupid like that when I was her age in a similar situation. But then again, when I was her age, I was pretty stupid. Just because you might think she's brave for doing it doesn't make her any smarter. Now that I think about it, though, I guess I wouldn't be so stupid. I fell down the side of a mountain during a race and broke my ankle once, and I just rolled off the course after getting spiked by a few of my competitors when they reached the bottom. Of course, that was over a mile away from the finish line. In college, I had a stress fracture in one leg and tendinitis in the other. I didn't red shirt; does that count? Of course, I also didn't run on it. I used the bike, the pool and the weight room until I could run again, despite not being able to walk.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Sure, I might give up easily, but you wouldn't be able to tell me from any other peasant on the side of the road when your vehicles tires get blown off by the land mines. Wink
              hey, no offense, blaine, but i think that comment was in poor taste. i appreciate all your comments about running and training and all, but there are a lot of people here w/ folks in the service (or who are in the service themselves) who don't Wink at IEDs & land mines. i might just be touchy about it (my brother's vehicle capsized and landed on his legs 3 years ago-- we are amazed that he can walk today, nevermind run), but i think i might not be the only one. anyway, i don't think the girl was stupid-- but i do hope her effort on that day doesn't prevent her from running again in the future, or upend any scholarships she may have been offered.

hey, no offense, blaine, but i think that comment was in poor taste. i appreciate all your comments about running and training and all, but there are a lot of people here w/ folks in the service (or who are in the service themselves) who don't Wink at IEDs & land mines.
                My apologies if I upset you (or anyone else), because that certainly wasn't my intention. However, I'm unfit for the military (due to bouts of blindness) and I was merely continuing the meme that you began when you complained about taking me to war, which was in no less poor taste. I say that we just leave the whole subject behind rather than annoying each other any further. Moving on, then...

Run to Win

i don't THINK i've ever addressed you before, and i don't remember the comment to which you refer-- but i apologize, too, blaine, if i've bugged you! i didn't realize. but back to topic! sorry about the digression.

i don't THINK i've ever addressed you before, and i don't remember the comment to which you refer-- but i apologize, too, blaine, if i've bugged you! i didn't realize. but back to topic! sorry about the digression.
                    I just checked back, and sorry, I made an incorrect assumption. I had assumed that you were the person that made the comment about taking me to war, but it was somebody else. See, this is how we go about putting our feet in our mouth...or at least on the keyboard at any rate.

Run to Win

I was there that day and it was unbelievable. I didn't see her fall or crawling but quite a few of my friends saw it. I went home and watched the video on youtube and my jaw dropped, knowing that 12 hours previous it happened 50 feet away from me. I also had a stress fracture this season and can't imagine my leg snapping, let alone two times, because of how severe it was.

Go Pre!

Maybe her short crawl did worsen what sounds like a very serious double break. or, maybe not. BTW>...Irish cream and coffee is good on a cool Sunday, makes you wired and sleepy at the same time.
                          Chick is tough. No doubt about it. I would have been bawlin' for my mum, but that's just me...