Hello/Introduction and please advise on shoes (Read 112 times)

WeinerDogRaces

Hello all!

My name is Stephanie, I am a 30 y/o F living in AZ and brand new to running.

I know absolutely nothing technical about running whatsoever and am looking for some advice on shoes, for both running and walking.

My height is 5'5'', weight is 140 (don't judge). My job is very active, I walk the equivalent of 10-15 miles a day, doing heavy lifting all the while and spend a lot of time on my knees as well (ok, that sounds kinda bad, but i am not a prostitute, i swear...). My knees are usually very stiff and sore, am currently recovering from a slight tear in my left meniscus. I will often work up to 12 hours and am looking for a lightweight shoe. My only other requirements are that they have to be (mostly) black, rubber soled, and hopefully not too ugly.  What do you suggest/ not suggest? I am taking all suggestions, both general and specific.

How about running shoes? My feet are a bit wide, and a bit flat and I am slightly pigeon toed. Cute, right?

Currently I am only able to use the elliptical machine due to the knee injury, but when I'm back at it I will be running on paved sidewalks and streets, in the city. I am not up to long distance yet as I am pretty out of shape, but would like to work myself up to 5k, 10k.

What kind of shoes should I be looking for? Again, general or specific info regarding types of shoes, weight, style, pronation (i don't really know what that means, but I see it on running shoe sites), even brands.

Thanks in advance!

Ered

spam
      Janster

Hi Stephanie!!

I can relate..... I spent 20 years working in a factory on my feet and being physically involved.  My feet have paid the price for it.... If I'm on my feet too long (or wear the wrong shoes), they hurt sometimes for days.

Your best bet, is to visit your local 'RUNNING store' - that specialize in running shoes.  They should measure your feet to find out where your arches are, measure your feet for size, and find out which type of support you need. If you're just beginning, you'll want/need a very supportive & cushy shoe.  If they truly care about your success, they'll bring out multiple different brands & types - have you try them all on and when you narrow it down to a couple pair, actually make you run a little bit with them to see how they feel.

I ended up buying a pair of Brooks GTS running sneakers.  They've been VERY comfortable and my feet have been happy so far.  Granted.....I"m a newbie and only on week #2 of the C25k Program on a treadmill.   My husband also picked up a pair of Brooks (the last time he did any running was probably 30 years ago). We're in our upper 40's....

Member Since 2008

As Janster said, go to a running store for shoe advice.  (Not sports authority or big 5, etc) Try runners den.

Runners world puts out a good book for new runners that will be a big help.  Also go through the old topics in this forum.  I'm sure just about everything you can think of has been discussed.  Good luck and welcome.

some call me Tim

Welcome! A word to the wise: I've got as much bad advice from running shoe store employees as good and I don't think motion control shoes or orthotics have any place on the feet of 99% of the population, BUT it's very much an individual thing and a pair of shoes is not gonna make or break your running. A good salesperson will listen to you, look at your gait if your LRS is better than mine, and then give you some options. Trot around in them and pick something that feels good and doesn't break the bank. Occasionally you'll end up buying stuff you don't really like, but you'll learn something and in the end probably develop a preference for a company that makes shoes that work well for your feet. Lately, I like Inov-8. I guess that probably not everybody would :-)

I will often work up to 12 hours and am looking for a lightweight shoe. My only other requirements are that they have to be (mostly) black, rubber soled, and hopefully not too ugly.  What do you suggest/ not suggest? I am taking all suggestions, both general and specific.

Adidas AX2 boots are what I've been using for a job that requires a lot of standing and fast walking on cement floors (that can occasionally be wet and slippery.)  The ride and weight is much like a running shoe but with very good traction.  Not clunky or tiring to wear at all.