Amputee Athlete Worthy of Admiration (Read 138 times)

Needs more cowbell!

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

That is a remarkable story about one's ability and drive to adapt and overcome. The human spirit at it's best.

Oscar Pistorius' story was a similar tale, until three days ago.

Needs more cowbell!

How about this kid helping out his brother.

Beautiful boys.  So deserving of that honor and such a credit to sports.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

How about this kid helping out his brother.

Thanks for sharing the link. Quite remarkable. Tears flowed down my face to see such a deep love expressed. What a big (and wise) heart that older brother has.

Use your momentum...keep going.  You know you can make it.

Cool Jump Suit

My father lost his arm in an accident when he was 17.  It wasn't easy, but the next year he played football and baseball (his senior year) in high school.  Varsity too!  He couldn't make the basketball team with one arm though and had to switch to being the manager.  He WAS right-handed and lost his right arm......it's hard to just pick-up being left-handed you know.  But like in the video....he did pick things up.  He learned to tie his shoes (although as a kid I used to tie them a lot....I was faster Smile Wink and he even learned to tie a tie....double windsor knot to boot!  And yeah, my dad rode bicycles with me when I was a kid.....nothing as tough as cyclocross.  He's 70 now and plays golf.   Interestingly enough, he putts left-handed, but hits all of his other shots right-handed.  He's always had a great sense of humor about losing a limb.  I think you have to!

The kiss goodnight, it comes with me,
            Both wrong and right, our memories. 
            The whispering before we sleep,
            Just one more thing that you can't keep.

Our favorite place we used to go,
            The warm embrace that no one knows.
            The lovin' look that's left your eyes,
            But I know in time we'll find this was no surprise.

Needs more cowbell!

I recently endured a brief stint of having no use of my right arm/hand...as a right-handed individual.  It sucked.  Today was the first day since 11/28 that I've driven my own car, a stick.  I am SO happy to not be relegated to driving DH's bland automatic SUV.  I can't imagine tying knots with 1-hand!

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Great stuff Kirsten.  Thanks for sharing!  Keep this up and I might have to seriously check out this cyclocross stuff!  Surprised

STILL HAVING FUN!!!