Fall, Winter, and Cold Temp. rain clothing...what do you wear? (Read 1290 times)

Baby bean!

What do you wear in fall? What do you wear if it's raining in the fall? Wink And what do you wear come winter? I bought a pair of leggings/tights (cold compression). I want to get a second pair. I also bought a pull on long sleeve shirt (cold compression). What should I wear over or under them (depending on REALLY cold temps)? Also, I have a water resistant and wind resistant thin jacket as well as a fleece jacket. DH needs stuff, too, so we're just trying to get some ideas. Thank you!

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Well, it was 35 with a breeze this morning..... Roll eyes for me, it was tights + light weight wool top...the kind with thumbholes. for lt to mod rain, I add a vest, if it's more than that, I have a raincoat that has zippers in the underarm area. I wear my regular running hat in the rain. Temps close to zero and below, same as today, but I add a very lightweight windbreaker, wool glove liners, and a ski hat/headband.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Tights are good down to around 32 F, I think. Lower than that and I wear cold weather running pants. I'll wear a compression top under a lightweight long-sleeved top down to freezing temps as well, or a single thermal running shirt. (This can be varied in many ways. Some like underarmor tops under cotton shirts. If it's rainy, use the lightest-weight windbreaker you can find over a light technical shirt). Socks don't have to change for any temps above freezing, but thin technical socks may be a little cold below freezing. My secret weapons for temps between 32 and 42 F: Lightweight knit gloves (must be knit), an outdoor thermometer I can see from the bathroom window to help me choose what combination of gear to wear. Have a good autumn and enjoy your runs. Best time of the year.
        Do bears bear? Do bees be?
        coastwalker

For me, shorts and short-sleeve t down to 50; shorts and long-sleeve t down to 40, with light-weight gloves (poor circulation in my hands) below about 44; light-weight tights, long-sleeve t and a short-sleeve t, gloves and cap down to 30; then heavier tights, a windbreaker with a t or 2 underneath, heavier gloves or mittens, and a warmer hat down to 10-15; winter tights (maybe with windpants over); a lined jacket with a long-sleeve t, lined mittens and a hat below that. At those temps, I'll also need a chisel to chop the ice off my beard when I get back... To me, the key is all breathable clothes, and layering when it gets chilly. If it's raining, add a hat with a brim, and a water-resistant jacket of the appropriate weight if it is too chilly out for you to want to get completely wet. Have fun! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Scout7

Shorts, windbreaker or long sleeve shirt, ear warmer or hat, gloves.

#artbydmcbride

Shorts, longer shorts, capri pants. Singlet, short sleeve, long sleeve.

Runners run

Down to about 30 or so, I wear nylon wind breaker pants over my running shorts.......T-shirt (or one of those new fangled tight sweat sucking shirts - but I forgot what they are called), long sleeved Tshirt and and jacket....with gloves and head band (over my ears) and a light pair of gloves. When it gets colder, I wear some tights under my nylon pants....and usually go to a stocking cap instead of a head band...... that usually takes care of me down to about 10 degrees or so.... If the weather is below 10 degrees or so, then I usually go to the local Y and run on the treadmill

Champions are made when no one is watching

Shorts, long-sleeve tech shirt - and sometimes gloves. Usually light/mid-weight tights below 30F. Layer from there as temps drop.

jules2

Shorts, longer shorts, capri pants. Singlet, short sleeve, long sleeve.
                    Ilene, Don't you get hot wearing all that kit at once? When it gets really cold I wear my Davey Crockett hat I made myself using next doors cat I will make you one if you have a spare cat. Seriously I wear tights when it gets cool as I think you can pull muscles if your legs are cold. Also I go for a light windproof with one light wicking layer underneath rather than wear fleeces or lots of layers. Cold weather tip, grow a beard and when it gets really cold you can look dead hard with icicles on it.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Trent: This thread needs a Sticky in your Newbie Questions area? I know myself as a former but still somewhat Newbie that this topic comes up alot also..... Just Say'in.... MTA: Running FAQ's.... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Shorts until I can't feel my legs. Probably around 35-40f. Past couple of days, it's been around 45-50 and I wore a single layer long sleeve tech shirt. Below 40 or in the wind, I'll put a short sleeve or even a long sleeve second shirt under my tech shirt. Also, my hands get cold below 40. For below 30, I've got an 18 year old Asics jacket I bought off the sale rack at a running store in Portland, OR. Still works great. At that temp, I'll wear lightweight tights. If it gets too cold for those, I'll stay by the fire. For cold rain, I've got a Pearl Izumi jacket that's totally waterproof. Probably ought to wash it now that I think about it... Shocked Wink TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff