Are there any other AlterG users here? (Read 2247 times)

This gives me an idea, Build a bungee contraption that will hold me up (like those jumps at the mall), with the ability to adjust the tension on those ropes holding me up, then run on the treadmill (which is in the garage with open beams I can hook the ropes to).  Probably will look like a complete dork but  will cost less than a hundred dollars at worst.

Funny thing is, there are versions of this in existance. You sit in a saddle type thing that is supprted by some sort of springs or cords, and the tension is adjusted to take weight off your legs while on the treadmill. Pretty sure it is mainly for walking rehab, but you aren't the first person to think of it, as crazy as it sounds!

MrH

But does that mean you can log pool running miles and do "tempo work" and such as training, then jump into that race you didn't want to give up? Heck no. That is a recipe for disaster. 

I'm not sure I agree. My DW has won highly competitive races off training where she only worked in the pool. Pool workouts, with the right equipment, can simulate many different types of speed and strength workouts in addition to basic aerobic training.

I'm not saying that pool running is a complete replacement for running on land, but much like using trails and grass to reduce impact, the pool can play an invaluable role if you are injury prone, and have small negative impact.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Funny thing is, there are versions of this in existance. You sit in a saddle type thing that is supprted by some sort of springs or cords, and the tension is adjusted to take weight off your legs while on the treadmill. Pretty sure it is mainly for walking rehab, but you aren't the first person to think of it, as crazy as it sounds!

I am pretty sure they exist, but this will probably be a project for me and will see if I can avoid bringing the house down.  Or if that contraption can be bought off the shelf I'd like to know where.  This will be helpful for my mom who has fairly severe arthritic knees.

I'm not sure I agree. My DW has won highly competitive races off training where she only worked in the pool. Pool workouts, with the right equipment, can simulate many different types of speed and strength workouts in addition to basic aerobic training.

I'm not saying that pool running is a complete replacement for running on land, but much like using trails and grass to reduce impact, the pool can play an invaluable role if you are injury prone, and have small negative impact.

My point was for the average runner and in a situation where there is an injury that is bad enough that they cannot run under normal conditions , then use the pool to take the load off and do cardio until the injury feels better, then jump right back into a race or where they left off in training. Using the pool as a supplement of training, or for someone who is injury prone but healthy, is not the same thing as an injured runner who was running outside, got injured, runs in the pool for rehab, then hammers right back at it.

MrH

My point was for the average runner and in a situation where there is an injury that is bad enough that they cannot run under normal conditions , then use the pool to take the load off and do cardio until the injury feels better, then jump right back into a race or where they left off in training. Using the pool as a supplement of training, or for someone who is injury prone but healthy, is not the same thing as an injured runner who was running outside, got injured, runs in the pool for rehab, then hammers right back at it.

Agreed - I was thinking more of someone who is hurt rather than injured.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Could it give a person a false sense of training( I mean, your actually training..duh..Im NOT taking away from that!! )? Does that make sense? Meaning..if you use it and use it for training (while rehabbing an injury) like say for a road race..do you risk getting hurt when it comes time to actually race? Does any of that make sense? I know what Im trying to say but it's not comming out properly..lol

I used to work for one of the largest herbal medicine companies in the world.  They have formulated all the herbs and now they can chemically reproduce them.  Of course, when they do that, it just doens't work as well.  They have a few % or sometimes even less than that of trace elements and it's always the interaction of EVERYTHING that makes it work properly. 

I remember talking to Coach Koide about oxygen tent.  He doesn't like it (and that's why he bought a house in Boulder for high altitude training).  It's coccept is to (I think) increase the ratio of nitrogen to reduce oxygen (or something like that) to simulate high altitude.  Of course, it's not quite the "right" ratio of everything.  In other words, it's not quite as natural.  It does the job; but it's not the same (well, duh!!). 

One of the things you'll have to really be careful with pool running is; if it's for a marathon, you won't have any pounding; and if it's for track races, you won't experience "pulls" in your tendons.  When Kristen got the opportunity to use AG after her first marathon before NYC marathon was pounding.  I remember telling her to make sure she got off AG and do at least an hour of, however easy, jogging on the regular ground before NYC.  Like I said, there's no set rule or anything because I don't have any experience with it.  But my instinct told me that going into a full marathon without somehow getting your legs ready for 100% body weight pouding on the road is not a smart idea.  I thought even an hour of pouding would be enough to wake up your body and remind them that there'll be some pounding coming up. 

It can be an alternate; but you can't substitute regular running with it.  Same can be said of just about any form of cross training.

xor

Best Present Ever

a local runner a few years ago has  stress fracture, trained for 6 weeks in the pool, about 10 days on land again, and won our local 10 mile race.  Another runner, many years ago when pool running was only for horses, trainined in the pool because of injury and then ran in the Olympic time trials (she blew up in the last miles, but isn't sure it was the pool training vs. just plain bad pacing).  I think effective pool running is hard and takes a lot of dedication and concentration.  both these runners say they ran their 'workouts' in the pool -- they weren't just running, but trying to simulate track workouts, tempo runs, etc.  I'm having to do a good bit of my training in the pool and trying to believe that if it worked for them, it could work for me. 

I look my best blurry!

I wrote this thread to see who else was using the Alter G.  Currently, I am the only person here who has had much experience using one, so, I am going to add my 2 cents.  I'm not saying this is what anyone else should do.  As a matter of fact, I've been told that I could be making some mistakes by mixing recovery and performance training by people with much more running experience and knowledge.  They might be 100% correct.  However, I've used it myself and I think that gives me a perspective that is valuable and worth sharing.  Take it with a grain of salt.

I started using the Alter G to recover for the NYC Marathon after my first marathon.  I was in a lot of pain from the race and shin splints that I had going into that race.  I didn't get much instruction as to how to use the machine so I talked to Nobby about it and basically set the amount of weight bearing, incline and speed to settings that allowed me to run comfortably.  As the pain subsided I used increased settings to simulate a workout of similar intensity to the workouts I would have done without the machine.  I used the Alter G, pool running, biking, running on soft surfaces and eventually on the road as I could tolerate it.  I managed to PR by 16 min in NY and I finished in much better shape than after my first marathon.  

I continued to use the Alter G to get ready for my next race, the Las Vegas Half Marathon to reduce the pounding on my legs.  I wanted to recover from the NY race and keep training without reinjuring myself.  I didn't need to do as much pool running or biking this time.  I used the settings in the same manner that I did before NY.  I typically was able to set the weight bearing at 85-92 %.  I ran long, easy, tempo and fartlek workouts on the Alter G, just as I would when I ran.  I PRd in Las Vegas by 8 min and felt great.  

After Las Vegas, I decided to take a break from the Alter G and for the next month I ran outdoors.  Unfortunately, I started having shin problems again.  So, now I'm using the AG for recovery as I'm training for theBoston Marathon.  This time I've been getting feedback from some very supportive and caring RAers (because of some posting I did on facebook.  There is another lesson to be learned here!).  I've always been very open with Nobby as to exactly what I was doing and we have successfully worked out my training.  I've always been happy with the results, even though I've made mistakes and had some setbacks.  This time we have talked about differentiating between recovery(easy shorter runs with lower weight bearing settings) and performance training(increased weight bearing to tolerance, increased speed) on the Alter G.  I can understand why I should use recovery type training at this point, but my experience is also part of my knowledge base.  It's hard to ignore a formula what has worked for me in the past.  I am taking it easy, pool running and biking the next few days.  I am also contemplating how to run my next workout on the Alter G. 

I started out running too far, too fast, too often.  I ended up cross training in the pool, Alter G and biking so I could keep training for races.  I often wonder if my cross training has lead me to run faster than my body can handle.  The Alter G has been very useful but I really don't want to rely on it so much.  I don't even like treadmills!  I'd rather be running outside in the rain and snow.  This year my goal is to do the large majority of my training just by running, even if that means that I have to slow the heck down!  After all, that is what I really enjoy the most.  

I am interested to see how Purdey and lostinthenet3 feel about the Alter G after they have given it a good try.  So, please let me know what you think.

I look my best blurry!

a local runner a few years ago has  stress fracture, trained for 6 weeks in the pool, about 10 days on land again, and won our local 10 mile race.  Another runner, many years ago when pool running was only for horses, trainined in the pool because of injury and then ran in the Olympic time trials (she blew up in the last miles, but isn't sure it was the pool training vs. just plain bad pacing).  I think effective pool running is hard and takes a lot of dedication and concentration.  both these runners say they ran their 'workouts' in the pool -- they weren't just running, but trying to simulate track workouts, tempo runs, etc.  I'm having to do a good bit of my training in the pool and trying to believe that if it worked for them, it could work for me. 

Last year after doing 6 weeks of only pool running and only 2 weeks of easy running back on the roads, I set a new PR in a local 5K by 50 seconds and came in 3rd overall.  I basically did the same thing you described that the person you knew did.  I ran varied workouts to simulate what I would have done on land in intensity and duration.  I spent up to 2.5 hrs in the pool!  Yeah, it was boring though!  I actually think mixing the pool, bike and Alter G are a good combination.  That is what I am doing now, as well as some easy running.  Hopefully it will all add up so I can get back outside full time soon.

Hey Kristin, I noticed you did not use an eliptical trainer. Any reason? We have this hands-free type at the gym which is pretty cool.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I look my best blurry!

Hey Kristin, I noticed you did not use an eliptical trainer. Any reason? We have this hands-free type at the gym which is pretty cool.

I just don't like them to tell the truth. I don't like my range of motion to be limited. With access to the AG, a pool and bikes, I just prefer other options.
                          xhristopher

If there is anyone who can cross train to a decent marathon you've demonstrated it's you. I've got no doubt you'll have a fine run at Boston.

I can relate to your comment "I often wonder if my cross training has lead me to run faster than my body can handle" and think it can be very true. In my case ran in high school and actually tried returning to running 3 or 4 times over the years before I did successfully 2 years ago. Usually I would try in the summer when I was very fit from cycling and would usually pop a 22 minute 5K with less than ten 3 to 5 mile runs. The problem was that each time I approached running like this it ended badly and with injury. So, yes, I've got plenty of experience at being a bad runner and have endured lots of shin splints, strained tendons, messed up knees, and doctor visits. At the time I didn't really understand why. I just thought running didn't suit me. Fortunately for me I would just jump back on the bike where I could hammer away without injury and keep doing what I liked (mountain bike races, crits, tts, and centuries) without looking back.

The difference finally came when I returned to running by running painfully boring easy miles for over a half year and allowing lots of recovery by cross training between runs. It took lots of patients and I also made it a point to learn to read my bodies signs. It's defiantly an art and knowing what to look for based on previous bad experiences has helped positively.

Good luck and I hope this is a positive turning point. The AG has got to be a great tool when used correctly. When you piece together what combo of training works best for you and put in a good stretch of injury free running I'm sure you will laugh at your current PRs.

xhristopher

I just don't like them to tell the truth. I don't like my range of motion to be limited. With access to the AG, a pool and bikes, I just prefer other options.

When returning to running I did tons of cross training with the ARC trainer. Ever try one of those?

I look my best blurry!

When returning to running I did tons of cross training with the ARC trainer. Ever try one of those?

Actually no but they have them at my gym.