Knee Problem (Read 615 times)

A week ago Saturday my run (10 miles) went well. No problems of any kind noted, nor was it a particularly fast pace. About 30 minutes after the run, after I got out of a friends car, I noticed a "crunchy" sound coming from my knee--like the sound of walking on corn flakes. No pain, just crunchiness. Ok, no physical pain. Psychologically, I was on the verge of freaking out Shocked. One of my first thoughts was of my meniscus. Later that afternoon, I noticed it was uncomfortable, but not painful, going up and down stairs (more so down than up)--and still the crunchiness. The next day, the area around my knee was swollen, and the back of my leg felt tight. I was tentative going up and down stairs, and felt tenderness (hesitate to call it pain--wasn't that bad) going down. Monday, I saw an orthopaedic surgeon (friend of mine). What follows is a detailed assessment from his examination. I only mention that because you can skip this part if you want. At any rate, he said I had normal sensation bilaterally. The motor exam was grossly intact bilaterally. My knee was in reasonable alignment and without significant deformity. My kee has a 1+ effusion noted by palpation. A McMurry's Test was performed and noted to be equivocal. It was tested for ligamentous instability. The ACL, MCL LCL, & PCL stability were all found to be grade 1. The patellar restraints were noted to be within normal limits. An x-ray was taken, and revealed no bony abnormality. As he prodded and poked, no pain was felt. Consequently, he said it could be any number of things (I could have reached that conclusion at half the price Roll eyes ). He recommended an MRI for further analysis. Last Thursday I got the MRI. The MRI reveals no issues with any ligaments, and no tears with the meniscus. The radiologist couldn't explain the fluid surrounding the knee and in the surrounding tissue. He said it was clear there was an injury to my knee, but could not give further insight on the cause. He did note that there was a bruise on my knee. He will forward the images to the orthopod, and I will followup with him this Wednesday. I was signed up to run the Park City marathon this past Saturday, however, the radiologist advised against running it for risk of further injury--which he pretty much had to say, and I had reservations about anyway. As of yesterday, the knee is getting stronger, and I have no issues going up and down stairs. So there you have it. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any insights? Advice?
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Dog-Love

Don: I am really curious to how this one turns out. I was thinking meniscus at the start to your post (I had a little tear last year) and the downhill discomfort. I am always attentive to my knees now for swelling or crunching. It sounds as if whatever happened lead to inflammation and fluid and that because the circulation is not so great inside the knee, it will just take time to drain before the "pain" goes away
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don, I had issues after wearing Kayanos for a few weeks, running a 15k, then sitting in the car with my legs in weird positions for the better part of 2 days. Trying to go down hills was murder, I had "Rice Krispy" knees (snap, crackle, pop) and some pretty bad discomfort and a bit of puffiness. It did get better, but the only thing that made it really heal was ditching the shoes. I'm not sure what the primary culprit was...perhaps a combo of things. Have you recently changed shoes? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay