Garmin worth it? (Read 1313 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Thanks Ewa! Has any one tried any competing GPS-based devices? What are the main competitors to the Garmins? With a quick search I found this Timex device: http://www.runningspot.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=57_67&products_id=163
    I have an older model of that. I like the fact that the watch is small(er) than the Garmin 205/305, so I can use it as an everyday watch instead of just for running. It is a very good watch for running and has everything I need. However, the watch does not have as many features as the Garmin because the screen is not big enough to display extra information. Garmin is heading in the right direction, but they still need to make the watch smaller.
    va

Thanks MC. I know what you mean about the size, that was one of my reservations about the Garmin.
      JakeKnight

I have an older model of that. I like the fact that the watch is small(er) than the Garmin 205/305, so I can use it as an everyday watch instead of just for running. It is a very good watch for running and has everything I need. However, the watch does not have as many features as the Garmin because the screen is not big enough to display extra information. Garmin is heading in the right direction, but they still need to make the watch smaller.
        I too have a model just like that one, and agree with every word MC just said. I use the watch as my daily watch; on rare occassions when I feel the need for a GPS, I take the sensor attached to my waist. Garmin is undeniably cooler, but it's got to be smaller.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

va

Found this review from September: Review of four great, but fussy running gadgets. It covers Gramin, Timex, Bones in Motion (cell-phone based) and Nike/ipod Sports kit...

My dogs are fast, not me

I got a Garmin 205 for Christmas from my DH. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of its potential, but love it so far. Its not uncomfortable to wear on my wrist, and actually, since I need reading glasses (!) I appreciate the large display. One of the features I'm particularly enjoying is the pace alerts. Those little beeps keep you focused when your mind starts to wander and your feet start to slow. Robin

Robin