Alternatives to Runners World magazine (Read 1610 times)

Hoban-Jay

Marathon And Beyond...without question.  And for lighter reading, TrailRunner.  

If you don't like Runner's World then you won't like Running Times either.  They're both about the... mostly fluff...and every other issue is a "Shoe Buyer's Guide".  Rodale publishes them both, explaining why they're so similar.  With that said, I get both of them...at a buck an issue, it's cheap bedtime reading...

xor

I kind of like the endless shoe guides.  However, Runners World recently revamped how they present this... and the self back-patting was super amusing given the AMAZING OVERCOMPLEXITY of their new guide design.  Holy crap.  It's like the cartoon mousetrap vs a regular mousetrap.

I kind of like the endless shoe guides.  However, Runners World recently revamped how they present this... and the self back-patting was super amusing given the AMAZING OVERCOMPLEXITY of their new guide design.  Holy crap.  It's like the cartoon mousetrap vs a regular mousetrap.

Totally agree. I subscribe to RW and Trail Runner. RW fills a void--a small one...until TR shows up. I do like some of the columns, skip the training tips and head for the food section. (Can't have enough exotic recipes that I don't have the patience to make. Wink ) RT was just a little thin on content for the price. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Occasionally, I'll pick up RW at the library ... blow through in an hour or so and bring it back the next time I'm up there. If there's anything  that I REALLY want to read, I'll find it on their website and take my time with it then

HCH

Marathon And Beyond...without question.  And for lighter reading, TrailRunner.  

If you don't like Runner's World then you won't like Running Times either.  They're both about the... mostly fluff...and every other issue is a "Shoe Buyer's Guide".  Rodale publishes them both, explaining why they're so similar.  With that said, I get both of them...at a buck an issue, it's cheap bedtime reading...

+1. I just recently discovered Marathon and Beyond and wonder how I ever lived without it. There is some good stuff in RT and RW, but MAB is in its own category. It's pricey, but totally worth it.

But then again, I subscribe to Harpers and The Atlantic, so my bias towards longer, more literate articles is pretty transparent.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

No matter what you think of Runner's World, go get the September issue, because Kenny Moore's article on Munich 1972 is a truly great piece of writing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

HCH

No matter what you think of Runner's World, go get the September issue, because Kenny Moore's article on Munich 1972 is a truly great piece of writing.

See, that's how RW keeps me hooked. Every month they have one great article hidden amid the fluff on fifty days to flat abs and celebrity runners. The Munich piece. The article on Robert Garside.

Oh well, I can usually find a deal on a year's subscription for ~$12, which is a mere fraction of what I spend on running shoes each year.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

See, that's how RW keeps me hooked. Every month they have one great article hidden amid the fluff on fifty days to flat abs and celebrity runners. The Munich piece. The article on Robert Garside.

Oh well, I can usually find a deal on a year's subscription for ~$12, which is a mere fraction of what I spend on running shoes each year.

+1

RW and RT are owned by (now) the same company.    Rodale bought RT a few years back.

Both mags are similar now, in the sense that they sort of recylce things yearly.  What is different, though, are the feature articles, which are pretty good.  Those change monthly and are not, of course, repeated.

With regard to Rodale...I dont' begrudge them much.  They're a family run business, pretty much don't report anything horrible, and their magazines are OK.  Men's Health, Women's Health, Prevention, Runner's World, Gardening, etc., etc., etc.  All do the same format.  Report the same information, over, and over, and over.

And it's the same.  The features are good.  The other stuff...you've read it before.  6 months ago, or maybe a year.

But it's fun to flip through.  Is that worth the several $ a month?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But you're not going to learn anything you already didn't know.

Jeff

Jill_B

I fly.

Who says Runner's world recycles articles... Never...

picture

Bring it on.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's funny!

Who says Runner's world recycles articles... Never...

That is the funniest thing I've seen all day.  And the best part is, I'm seeing RW ads on the right side bar.

What is the month/year of those issues.  I have to see if I still have them.

Jeff

Jill_B

I fly.

That is the funniest thing I've seen all day.  And the best part is, I'm seeing RW ads on the right side bar.

What is the month/year of those issues.  I have to see if I still have them.

They are probably the December 2011 and December 2010 issues - everything I own is in storage right now so I can't pull them out to check for sure.

Bring it on.