The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1312 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

They didn't exactly meet expectations. Meb far exceeded them, as usual. You think Ryan will fire his coach?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

They didn't exactly meet expectations. Meb far exceeded them, as usual. You think Ryan will fire his coach?

No. Anyways, my armchair is hurting my ass. Enjoy yours.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations to Uganda.

bhearn

Great showing by Meb!

I'm gonna take the credit, for wishing him luck at Bay to Breakers. That must have been inspiring.

Little surprised to see Gillis finish ahead of Coolsaet for the Canadians in the marathon.

How about Wykes beating both of them.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

I got a bit worried when he picked up the flag and the Brazilian guy looked like he was right behind him.

Meb eyed him every few seconds.  That camera angle always make them look closer than they really are, too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AnneCA

Very impressed with S. Kiprotich's move at Mile 23 -- it looked like he'd been dropping back.  And then he was shown smiling so many times over those last miles, I figured that meant there was no way the Kenyans would catch him again.  I'm frustrated that NBC didn't show how Meb managed to move up from 10th to 4th - when last they had shown him around 10th, he was not at all in a pack.  Really impressive how much he must have picked it up.  Also, is it that hard to pronounce Abdirahman?  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

Very impressed with S. Kiprotich's move at Mile 23 -- it looked like he'd been dropping back.  And then he was shown smiling so many times over those last miles, I figured that meant there was no way the Kenyans would catch him again.  I'm frustrated that NBC didn't show how Meb managed to move up from 10th to 4th - when last they had shown him around 10th, he was not at all in a pack.  Really impressive how much he must have picked it up.  Also, is it that hard to pronounce Abdirahman?  

+1.  Kudos to the Kenyan who made it an honest race as well, even though it turned out not well for him.

I'm so happy for Meb.  I know 4th is usually the worst position to finish in, but he looked happy with it.  He did pick off every single man he could realistically catch.  It certainly showed that his silver was no fluke.  For someone who was counted out by Nike, and out by many for this race due to injury, it was an outstanding showing that he should be very proud of.  2nd and 4th in Olympic marathons....I'm not a stats person but it certainly puts him as one of the best American Olympic marathoners ever.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

No.

They quit.

:P

What does :P mean?

xor

:P is what you buy at Osco for your home colonoscopy.  (yikes. Sorry.)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why is it sideways?

What does that mean in this context? That you are disappointed that they dropped? 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

finally,something in the closing ceremony that caught my attention: "Always look on the bright side of life!"