I can scream really really.... (Read 1178 times)

Bugs

{{{{{{{{{LOUD}}}}}}}}}} A black lab 'like' dog came after me full force today. I've never seen this dog out of his kennel and he always barks pretty mean. Caught me completly off guard when all of a sudden he's headed for me full force. My high pitched squeal may have broke some windows near by. What is proper etiquette when you think you're about to be chewed to pieces?

Bugs

I'm of the "stare the dog down" school of thought, but I can be pretty imposing and most dogs will submit. Then again, most dogs just want to play and aren't actually going to menace you. The only times I've kicked a dog is after it has actually bit me, and then I go straight for the snout and make sure that it can't bite my calves. As soon as I'm away I call animal control (although a few times I've called animal control without being bit.) I've made some enemies with neighbors that way (this was back in college) but it turns out I was right since the guy's dog attacked a kid on a bike a year after I moved away and the poor beast had to be put down (the dog, not the owner, unfortunately.) I also won't always kick when I'm bit - one time a dog was just way too excited and wanted to play. He was obviously not trying to hurt me, just got overzealous. It's one of the few times that I don't blame the owner for letting the dog get out of control, either - the dog made him slip on some ice and managed to get his leash free. The guy has kept the dog under control every other time I've passed them. I wrote an article last year about what to do if a dog chases you that details what I do, what others do, and shares some more details on the above stories if you are interested. I think it was inspired by a thread here if I remember correctly: http://news.runtowin.com/2007/09/26/what-do-you-do-if-a-dog-wants-to-chase-you.html

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Seems to me that screaming is a really great plan. Scares the dog - alerts the neighbors - you get an adrenalin rush and crack out a negative split. Big grin My personal back up plan always consists of involuntary swearing. I don't think it helps much, but something about dogs on the loose does it to me.

Bugs

No negative split, but I think I came close to peeing in my shorts. I am a cat person from now on.

Bugs

Big grin ya made me laugh!

SMART Approach

{{{{{{{{{LOUD}}}}}}}}}} A black lab 'like' dog came after me full force today. I've never seen this dog out of his kennel and he always barks pretty mean. Caught me completly off guard when all of a sudden he's headed for me full force. My high pitched squeal may have broke some windows near by. What is proper etiquette when you think you're about to be chewed to pieces?
              Did the scream make him stop or did the owners call the dog off? Always best bet is to stop running and keep eye on dog, slowing walking or backing away. Unless, attacked then you need to fight back big time. No etiquette in this case!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Lisa3.1

I'm of the "stare the dog down" school of thought, but I can be pretty imposing and most dogs will submit. Then again, most dogs just want to play and aren't actually going to menace you. The only times I've kicked a dog is after it has actually bit me, and then I go straight for the snout and make sure that it can't bite my calves. As soon as I'm away I call animal control (although a few times I've called animal control without being bit.) I've made some enemies with neighbors that way (this was back in college) but it turns out I was right since the guy's dog attacked a kid on a bike a year after I moved away and the poor beast had to be put down (the dog, not the owner, unfortunately.) I also won't always kick when I'm bit - one time a dog was just way too excited and wanted to play. He was obviously not trying to hurt me, just got overzealous. It's one of the few times that I don't blame the owner for letting the dog get out of control, either - the dog made him slip on some ice and managed to get his leash free. The guy has kept the dog under control every other time I've passed them. I wrote an article last year about what to do if a dog chases you that details what I do, what others do, and shares some more details on the above stories if you are interested. I think it was inspired by a thread here if I remember correctly: http://news.runtowin.com/2007/09/26/what-do-you-do-if-a-dog-wants-to-chase-you.html
                that is a Great article. Thanks.