theological running question (Read 251 times)

will run for popsicles

Curious: Is it OK to run on Christopher Columbus Day? I just went to the bank only to discover it's one of their 275 annual holidays, but I'm not sure how that translates to running. Must the day strictly be a day off? A time to meditate about the New World in my New Balance? (I am old. I can still remember those Old Balance shoes. Don't get me started.)  I don't want to be haunted by dead explorers or bank guys, so this is a serious question.

Possible loophole: I live on the coast of Tejas and we have a replica of one of his three boats. I'm not sure if it's the Pinto, the Ginger or the Mary Ann. I live close enough that I could run there and back and call it a day. Would this qualify as a pilgrimage and allow me to run despite the occasion? Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the total snub of Mrs. Howell.

Second post for the guy is a religious post, what next?  Obamacare?

jfa

Are you going to be here all week?

Latent Runner

I wouldn't bother with the pilgrimage unless it was Mary Ann.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Curious: Is it OK to run on Christopher Columbus Day? I just went to the bank only to discover it's one of their 275 annual holidays, but I'm not sure how that translates to running. Must the day strictly be a day off? A time to meditate about the New World in my New Balance? (I am old. I can still remember those Old Balance shoes. Don't get me started.)  I don't want to be haunted by dead explorers or bank guys, so this is a serious question.

Possible loophole: I live on the coast of Tejas and we have a replica of one of his three boats. I'm not sure if it's the Pinto, the Ginger or the Mary Ann. I live close enough that I could run there and back and call it a day. Would this qualify as a pilgrimage and allow me to run despite the occasion? Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the total snub of Mrs. Howell.

I guess the bars are open where you live.

obiebyke

My bank was open today. Need quarters? I just got two rolls.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

At 57years of age you only just now realized that banks are closed on federal holidays?

steph  

Julia1971

Are you going to be here all week?

Try the veal and tip your waitresses?

I wouldn't bother with the pilgrimage unless it was Mary Ann.

+1    especially if she was wearing shirt that she ties around her waist

A Saucy Wench

At 57years of age you only just now realized that banks are closed on federal holidays?

Isn't every day currently a federal holiday?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Isn't every day currently a federal holiday?

Indeed.

steph  

Walk-Jogger

Well I went to the indoor track and ran a 5K early this morning without even realizing it was Columbus's Day, and I did not get morphed into a pillar of salt afterwards, so it must be an OK day to run.

Actually the only way I usually know it's Columbus's Day is because I have to walk past a gauntlet of native american protesters on the way to my office (I work at at a large state university).  I didn't go to work after my workout today, however as I had an eye exam scheduled.

Retired &  Loving It

will run for popsicles

that explains much!!!!! I did sneak out to run this afternoon, and (no, I'm not making this up) there was a mousetrap on the running path. Sadly, the Clif bar that likely had been used as bait was already gone. I had no idea who would do this, but the Native American protester idea makes sense. (Alas, I run in the land of perpetual 90 degree heat, so I always turn into a pillar of salt ...)

you went to the track, started running, & never looked back!

you went to the track, started running, & never looked back.!

Well I went to the indoor track and ran a 5K early this morning without even realizing it was Columbus's Day, and I did not get morphed into a pillar of salt afterwards, so it must be an OK day to run.

meant to quote this, not sure what happened