Alcohol intolerance related to higher mileage? (Read 313 times)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

So I have been struggling with an increasing intolerance for adult beverages over the past year or so, which also coincides with a pretty drastic increase in my weekly mileage for running.  I am a 37 year old female, long time runner.  I used to average 25 - 30 miles per week, but over the past 18 months I have gotten the long distance bug and have been really enjoying the longer runs.  I now average 60 - 80+ miles per week.

I am not a big drinker, but I enjoyed a couple or three drinks on the weekend, mostly wine or malt beverages.  But now I get really awful headaches whenever I have a drink.  It has gotten to the point where I get a headache after a single drink.  The only form of alcohol I have found that I can drink without getting a headache is home brewed hard cider (I suspect it has a lower alcohol content than commercially made cider).

My weight has not changed since I began running more, but I am sure my body composition is different.  I did get a Camelbak so I can stay hydrated on the long runs (I used to never drink on runs, I realize now that was not helping me), but even on days when I don't run, I will still get a headache after a drink.

Could this be related to the increased running?  I cannot think of any other lifestyle changes made in the past year other than running more.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I gotta say, I really miss my margaritas!

Leah, mother of dogs

Walk-Jogger

Dehydration is a major cause of headaches.  Alcohol enhances dehydration effects. I've noticed if I have a 22 oz beer with dinner and neglect to drink more water before bedtime, I'll wake up in the night or the next morning with almost a headache, and feeling less good than had I drank a big gulp or two of "extra" water at bedtime. No matter how much you drink during your runs, you still need to drink enough between your runs to avoid excessive dehydration. I'm NOT a proponent of keeping a water bottle handy all day long every day and "hydrating"  all the time, like some people advocate, but in your case, I think your headache may well be related to insufficient water intake after you imbibe in the alcohol. That's my $.02 worth. 

Retired &  Loving It

Alcohol is a poison.  It may be fun and make some people laugh, but physiologically all it does is tear the body apart, as well as the mind.  I can't even imagine drinking now and going for a run the day after.  Be happy that your body is finally telling you to quit for good.

PS.  I am not a religious fanatic or someone who has never got their party on.  I am 37 also and haven't drank a drop in over 4 years.  I am glad I didn't need AA to quit and I am glad I am not drinking now. I am not here to harp on you or press my ideals on you, but listen to YOUR body, it is giving you the signs.  Don't even get me started on caffeine, I will write a 3000 word essay on that crap....

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

I suspect Cecil is on track with the dehydration.  With higher mileage you are likely a bit more dehydrated and you are exacerbating it by drinking alcohol (which is a diuretic), leading to headaches.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Is there a quick and dirty way to figure out how much water I need per day based on my activity level?  After I run I am still not done being active for the day, I have a big garden that I work in a lot this time of year.  I think I drink about two liters of water a day.  Plus iced tea, coffee (caffeinated so they probably don't count towards my total).  I drink more water if I get thirsty of course.  I don't drink electrolyte replacement beverages because I am concerned about my salt intake.

I have just been drinking water based on how far I have run, like take a few swallows every couple of miles.  And then when I get home I drink about another liter during the day.  I guess my only concern is drinking so much I am up all night peeing lol.

Also, wouldn't I be fine to drink on days when I didn't run?  I took last Sunday off, had a Lime-a-Rita, and two hours later my head was pounding too hard to read.  I was wondering if I had developed an allergy.

i will take your advice though and try to get more water down.  I suspect you guys are right.  I am new to these long distances and have not quite figured out how to drink on the run.

Leah, mother of dogs

Walk-Jogger

Just to clarify; my suggestion is to always get more water down after drinking alcohol, like in the next 2 or 3 hours.

Slight dehydration the rest of the time is in my opinion 1) not a problem and 2)  very common among runners, myself included. A bit of dehydration is like a bit of  hunger. You may or may not be aware of it, but it won't kill you. 

Retired &  Loving It

Is there a quick and dirty way to figure out how much water I need per day based on my activity level?  After I run I am still not done being active for the day, I have a big garden that I work in a lot this time of year.  I think I drink about two liters of water a day.  Plus iced tea, coffee (caffeinated so they probably don't count towards my total).  I drink more water if I get thirsty of course.  I don't drink electrolyte replacement beverages because I am concerned about my salt intake.

Use the pee test. If you can't pee, that's problem #1. If you can pee, and it isn't clear, keep drinking water until it is reasonably clear.

xhristopher

I find that running makes beer taste even better.

saratg

My husband just commented "That's a good reason for not running so much".  He's a rower, (obviously) not a runner.  I have a always had low alcohol tolerance; the more sugar the drink has, the less I tolerate it.  Stick to red wine (a little is good for you!) and dark beer (ditto) and I'll bet you'll have fewer problems.  Also, watch the preservatives in the wine.

Feeling the growl again

1) Make sure you are not dehydrated

2) You may have developed a sensitivity to the sulfites in wine.  I make my own and use as little as I think I can get away with.

3) Running higher mileage stresses your body.  So does alcohol.  There is only so much stress (of all kinds) that it will take before it starts sending you messages.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zonykel

Use the pee test. If you can't pee, that's problem #1. If you can pee, and it isn't clear, keep drinking water until it is reasonably clear.

I saw the mythbusters do a test before and after excessive drinking. It involved pulling the skin from the back of your hand. If the skin returns to normal rather quickly, you're ok. If the skin returns slowly, you're dehydrated.

the pee test seems to work. However, I find that if I drink soda, pee will be clear, even while dehydrated.

+1.

Runners run

yeh.....  Approve

Tammarin.....

Queen of 3rd Place

Alcohol is a poison.  It may be fun and make some people laugh, but physiologically all it does is tear the body apart, as well as the mind.  I can't even imagine drinking now and going for a run the day after.  Be happy that your body is finally telling you to quit for good.

PS.  I am not a religious fanatic or someone who has never got their party on.  I am 37 also and haven't drank a drop in over 4 years.  I am glad I didn't need AA to quit and I am glad I am not drinking now. I am not here to harp on you or press my ideals on you, but listen to YOUR body, it is giving you the signs.  Don't even get me started on caffeine, I will write a 3000 word essay on that crap....

Just to temper this comment a little: there are good data suggesting that moderate coffee consumption protects against cancer. The statistical relationship holds, but is much weaker, for decaffeinated coffee.

There are similarly good data indicating that light alcohol intake can also have health benefits.

Too much is the problem. We can go there with many things. Vitamin A comes to mind as something that is particularly toxic.

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just to temper this comment a little: there are good data suggesting that moderate coffee consumption protects against cancer. The statistical relationship holds, but is much weaker, for decaffeinated coffee.

There are similarly good data indicating that light alcohol intake can also have health benefits.

Our PCP (also an avid cyclist and snowboarder) actually prescribed a drink or two/day for my hubby as one of several means to treat his HBP.  He's one of the fittest people I know, but his entire family is on meds for HBP.  Seems to me that a drink or two beats higher doses of prescription drugs to treat a lot of things.

Coffee guarantees that I won't have to find a tree or port-a-jon on a morning run. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay