inexpensive monthly races in the SF Bay Area (Read 436 times)

GKA

GKA

The link to it is: http://www.examiner.com/x-7352-Oakland-Hills-Cooperative-Community-Examiner~y2009m4d22-Lake-Merritt-Joggers-and-Striders-fourth-Sunday-run. This is really great value without all the fuss and muss of the big races
    "Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai
    kcam

If you check out the different Bay Area running clubs you can usually find a club race that is either free or near-free every weekend. I've run with the DSE runners in SF and the West Valley Joggers & Striders in the South Bay (I run enough of their races that I joined the club). I may have to give LMSJ races a shot one of these days seeing as I've never run Lake Merritt. Thanks for the info.
        Yup, the LMJS races are a deal (only $3 for members) and the atmosphere is great. They have 5k, 10k and 15k events (1, 2 or 3 laps of the lake) going on simultaneously so you can even decide on the day what you want to do. They also hold a cumulative time competition each year (for 1 each of the three distances) so if you like having goals you can aim to get your cumulative time under a certain value. The main downside is that the course isn't closed (what do you expect for $3?). Although there are no roads to cross you will have to dodge pedestrians, joggers, squirrels, geese, baby carriages etc. I think this is what prevents what would otherwise be a flat and fast course from being quite as fast as you think it should be. Their website wins awards for best small club website. http://www.lmjs.org/Home Check out the video, it gives a pretty good idea of how efficiently they run their races, they've got it down to an art now. John
        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
        GKA

GKA

The races can be even more hazardous due to the construction around the lake. Having said that, I find that the monthly races are a great way to measure improvements consistently. There is great camaraderie and intensity. The Saturday morning training runs are also a great (free) benefit of this club. They take place all over the bay area, and often on courses that can accommodate short (5k) to long distances (often up to 18 miles); always followed by a breakfast at a local eatery. Details can also be found on the website. www.lmjs.org. I've discovered some great trails this way. I just like to support the smaller, grass-roots level clubs. If you're local, I encourage you to try out the training runs or even the races. In May there will also be a 15k.
          "Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai