These vegans are scaring me... (Read 1069 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Neither is the deer you are hunting...And do you have meat dishes in your house? ...I had a random peds question: is there any problem with raising veg kids?
    Right. No. No.
    Want to live in the woods with me and hunt rabbits? Purely as pets of course!
    For you, anything!
      10 acres? How big is the garden? Could you graze a few head of cattle and some broiler chickens and egg layers?
      The garden is about 65x250 if I planted all at once. Have clay soil so I am adding compost to break it up. Would love to have chickens and a few head of cattle, but my wife would name them and then when it came time to butcher them........................... We have Whitetailed deer here. Not really sure about the numbers but I'd say there are a dozen that use the property at one time or another. My wife has seen turkys while I have just heard them in hte woods out back and accross the north field. And of course we have rabbits and coons etc. Those coons................................... smart bastards!! Stripped 24, 65 foot rows of sweet corn 2 days before it was ready to be picked ALL IN ONE NIGHT!!! We got 4 ears out of it!! Put up and electric fence to protect the rest if it. I planted several groups 10 days apart to keep the corn coming in fresh for as long as possible. I'd as soon shoot the coons. They are too smart and very mean!! Skunks are ok once they get to know you. And they can be very friendly as long as you pay attention and don't corner them.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Oh no, read what I said. In essence, I am almost advocating hunting for all your meat. Go out and kill a wild boar living the way God intended, rooting in the mud and eating acorns. Cook it over a fire that is burning the wood you chopped down yourself. Live like a caveman. A caveman with a gun. That is a far more sustainable way to live than that corn-fed (boy, almost sounds healthy, eh) meat-crap they serve at McDonalds.
        Trent, I just want you to know that while I'm only on the 3rd page of this thread, thus far, I'm the most ethical individual here!! I have cows on my farm...my farm that is not sprayed with chemicals to kill weeds or pesticides. Truthfully, we don't spray because we don't have time & my husband would rather listen to me complain about the rampantly growing weeds in the field than take the time to spray! Roll eyes My cows live a happy life, wandering around large fields, eating at will. Whitetail deer are spotted daily here, sharing the fields with the cows. Every year from Nov 15-30, I sit in the woods at the edge of said fields & I shoot a deer or two with my very own, beautiful Winchester Ranger 30-30, have it butchered and thoroughly enjoy some delicious, lean red meat. Every year or so, we select a content, well fed (read: very fat) cow from our field and butcher it. We enjoy medium rare T-bones on the grill for months! My cows enjoy their peaceful existence on our farm. The deer enjoy their life here too. I enjoy the cows and deer on my grill. And I am ethical!! Big grin
        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
          Amish is just one form of farming, often (but not always) biodynamic. But you can do something. You can buy local biodynamic veggies, grass-fed meats, pastured eggs, etc.
          I am laughing!! I live in a heavily Amish populated area. My husband is formerly Amish. All of my in-laws are Amish. My Amish in-laws get their beef from me. My SIL's shop at Sam's Club with me on a regular basis, and yes, they frequently purchase veggies & meat there. My diet is healthier than everyone in that family.
            How about some wild boar? I hear that's good eatin' right there.
            Boar scare me! And I'm a tough, gun toting farm girl from way back!! Wink
              Right. No. No.
              Thank you! I will now quote you frequently that veg kids are just fine. Or maybe they arent fine, but it isnt because they arent eating meat. And I thought I was the only one who was silly enough not to bother having any dishes for meat. (I do have some paper plates which works for take-out pizza. Maybe that would work for meat?) And Passover dishes. Oh wait, that involves walking to my closet - way too far!
                Boar scare me! And I'm a tough, gun toting farm girl from way back!! Wink
                Don't blame you!!! A boar will kill you. Hell even domestic boar will. My grandfather knew a guy who was killed and half eaten by one. So, what kind of cattle? Angus? I like Angus, you can turn your back on one and not worry about getting run over.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I am laughing!! I live in a heavily Amish populated area. My husband is formerly Amish. All of my in-laws are Amish. My Amish in-laws get their beef from me. My SIL's shop at Sam's Club with me on a regular basis, and yes, they frequently purchase veggies & meat there. My diet is healthier than everyone in that family.
                  Didn't you post about Amish here before? We have Amish in our area here in Indiana, but most are further to the north. Had an Amish crew build our barn. Did a really great job. On time and on the bid!!! Can't get betterthan that!!

The garden is about 65x250 if I planted all at once. Have clay soil so I am adding compost to break it up. Would love to have chickens and a few head of cattle, but my wife would name them and then when it came time to butcher them........................... We have Whitetailed deer here. Not really sure about the numbers but I'd say there are a dozen that use the property at one time or another. My wife has seen turkys while I have just heard them in hte woods out back and accross the north field. And of course we have rabbits and coons etc. Those coons................................... smart bastards!! Stripped 24, 65 foot rows of sweet corn 2 days before it was ready to be picked ALL IN ONE NIGHT!!! We got 4 ears out of it!! Put up and electric fence to protect the rest if it. I planted several groups 10 days apart to keep the corn coming in fresh for as long as possible. I'd as soon shoot the coons. They are too smart and very mean!! Skunks are ok once they get to know you. And they can be very friendly as long as you pay attention and don't corner them.
                    I planted my first garden last summer. Had to try to keep up with the Amish in-law's to impress the Monster-In-Law, you know! My garden wasn't a great success. Actually, if you combined all of the veggies that grew, you could probably make a nice big pot of veggie soup to feed the RA family after a half marathon. Ok, maybe it wasn't even that successful, but I did have some wonderful watermelons grow and a couple of plants of great broccoli. I'm going to try again this year though... We have deer here too, lots of them. And coons, which are evil, destructive creatures! Advice to you, Gregg...talk to people in your area. Coon hunters love to find places to train their young dogs & they can take care of your coon problem. Also, Gregg, if you want to graze a few cows but don't want your wife to have attachment issues, but some Corriente-Longhorn cross cattle. They have no respect for fences and are generally a pain in the arse. The tenth time she has to chase them out of the neighbors yard, she'll happily shoot Daisy herself! Trust me on this one, we have these cows...we name all of them the moment they are born...and we happily grill them a few years later. My kids even say things at the dinner table like, "Mmmm...Mamma Red tastes good!" Maybe Trent's veggie kids are a little more fine than mine?? Confused But the cows do look cool...pretty variety of colors, cute babies & really big horns!
                      Didn't you post about Amish here before? We have Amish in our area here in Indiana, but most are further to the north. Had an Amish crew build our barn. Did a really great job. On time and on the bid!!! Can't get betterthan that!!
                      Yep, I've talked about the Amish in-law's before a few times. Remember my SIL that thought it was ok to feed honey to babies? But that will put us back into another topic all together. They are generally good builders though. And, despite my jokes, I have alot (I stress ALOT) of really great Amish family. I can't name all of the nieces & nephews, and maybe not even the BIL's & SIL's, but they are great!
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow, cool. I am sorry I did not respond faster. Sadly I was out running Wink Cows in the field eating grass? Wow, how novel Smile That is awesome, I bet the meat tastes good. Do the cows rotate fields, followed by chickens in the pasture? That makes for good broilers and eggs too I hear! The chickens spread out the manure, eat the grubs and add a lot of nitrogen to the soil. Moving the cattle allows the grass to recover in time for the next round. Good stuff! What do you grow in your garden?
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Every year from Nov 15-30, I sit in the woods at the edge of said fields...
                          No you don't. You shoot them from your windows while in nothing but your undies while talking to me on the phone. Weirdo. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't blame you!!! A boar will kill you. Hell even domestic boar will.
                            Hakuna Matata? Sad

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No you don't. You shoot them from your windows while in nothing but your undies while talking to me on the phone. Weirdo. Tongue k
                              Sometimes!! Big grin Most days, I brave the bull & share his pasture!
                                Wow, cool. I am sorry I did not respond faster. Sadly I was out running Wink Cows in the field eating grass? Wow, how novel Smile That is awesome, I bet the meat tastes good. Do the cows rotate fields, followed by chickens in the pasture? That makes for good broilers and eggs too I hear! The chickens spread out the manure, eat the grubs and add a lot of nitrogen to the soil. Moving the cattle allows the grass to recover in time for the next round. Good stuff! What do you grow in your garden?
                                Cows yes, chickens, NO! Filthy, dirty creatures! I'm not a fan of chickens. Now, I do love chicken, I eat it alot. But I prefer to go to Sam's Club & purchase the family packs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Or a whole chicken for the wonderful "beer can chicken" on the grill! My Amish SIL does have chickens though and I frequently buy fresh eggs from her. And we have had a few of her chickens when they butchered. As a matter of fact, I just ate freshly butchered chicken at my BIL's house last Fri, however it was an old rooster & it was really tough. My garden last year consisted of 3 varieties of tomatoes, onions (green & sweet), watermelon, yellow, red & orange bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, sweet peas, green beans, and 3 varieties of sweet corn. Perhaps my problem was tackling too many new things at one time, but I've never been one to go half way! Of course, after the fact, my Amish in-law's were full of helpful information that I can use this year. And they did say that for a first garden, I did great. I looked at it as a horrible failure, but that is because I'm an obsessive compulsive perfectionist that can't handle even small failures!! I expected to have so much produce that I could can enough food to feed Rowanda, then still sell produce at a stand on my road! Big grin