Does anyone jump (skip) rope? (Read 1504 times)

Baby bean!

I have a few questions that have been on my mind, if you don't mind.

How long do you do it?

Do you do the same kind of jump or do you mix it up?

Do you feel that it has benefit you or running?

Thanks! 

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

SMART Approach

I have done a ton of jump roping in my years including a high intensity class that included at least 3-4 songs of 4 min or so.  I don't do much jumping anymore but interesting I did jump the other day some as I tweaked my lower hammy in a 10K so I have been mixing in some biking and jumping.

Early on it will be difficult to jump for a long time because the front shoulders fatigue as do the calves. You will be forced to stop. It depends on your technique. Beginning jumpers tend to have to jump high off the ground to not trip up. This is more strenuous. As you get the technique down, I can jump only an inch or two off the ground but I like to mix in fast spins while crossing arms in front, running in place, jumping side to side and forward, one leg etc. You can probably go to youtube for videos of various types of jumping.

In a sense it provide some bounce to your step in the form of a plyometric type movement so as part of a running plan, Iike it. You should not use the time jumping to replace running but  mixing it in after a run would be nice as you are warmed up. Throw in 2-3 intervals to start for 1 min. Build up to 5 - 10 intervals of 2 min or 5-10 min. continuous with various types of hopping without stopping. Be aware, your calves will take a beating so expect some soreness. They will never be as sore as the first time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Used to do it a lot in HS for wrestling, and until I got back into running a couple years ago, I would do it a few times per week. I don't do it much any more as I mainly just run for my primary fitness.

I'd always mix it up such as:

• constant alternating of feet; 
        • a set number of jumps on one foot, then switch (keep repeating and increase the number of jumps on one foot); 
        • high knees (great cardio), 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off; 
        • butt kicks (great cardio); 
        • snow skiing side to side with both feet; 
        • snow skiing side to side on one foot
        • High jumps
        • Fast rope spins
        Just use your imagination. 

As TChuck pointed out, as your technique improves you can go a long time.

If you really want to work  the upper body too get a weighted rope (e.g. http://www.power-systems.com/p-3447-powerope.aspx) They come  in various weights and the one I have humbles me in a very short time.

If I couldn't run, I'd do a lot of rope jumping and body weight exercises. It's a great workout, but I don't think it's going to help my running/race times.

A Saucy Wench

I do it some times as part of circuit training as a cardio interval.  But I am really clumsy and uncoordinated so I stick to low fast feet tight together nothing fancy.  Get my HR up and do it until I start tripping on the rope.

When I was 10 I kicked butt at double dutch though.   I would love to try that again but I would probably fall on my face.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

I learned in another thread that the dutch are mean.  They'd probably ensure you fell on your face anne.

what are lions?

I learned in another thread that the dutch are mean.  They'd probably ensure you fell on your face anne.

per palin, the dutch are good at plugging leaks. they should have settled in new orleans.

jumping rope. work up to 100+.  jumping, not skipping.  it's anaerobic, and i think better than doing strides. plus, it always looks cool if you learn a few rope tricks in the process.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

I almost jumped rope for 2 minutes once.  Almost. 

jeffdonahue

Sure - the other day I was up to 75 pieces of bubble gum.

"Bubble gum, bubble gum, in a dish, how many pieces do you wish - 1...2...3...  

Menace to Sobriety

A couple of my runner friends tried it last year as a cross training activity and both wound up with PF after a couple of weeks. Could be just a co-incidence or they were doing something wrong, I don't know.

I've jumped rope on and off over the years depending on what my athletic endeavors (emphasis on endeavor, not athletic)  were at the time with no issues. I had a brief boxing career(1 fight) when I was in the Navy. For some reason, boxers are all about jumping rope, but it didn't seem to help me much.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I recently joined a boxing gym, and have therefore had to start skipping (jumping rope?  What's the difference?) for the first time since high school.  I have also recently discovered that I'm not coordinated enough to skip.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

xor

"skipping" rope sounds pansy.

Except in pink.

Menace to Sobriety

I recently joined a boxing gym, and have therefore had to start skipping (jumping rope?  What's the difference?) for the first time since high school.  
                          I don't really think it matters. I was pretty good at skipping and jumping rope and still got knocked out in the 2nd. I'd focus most of my effort into punch avoidance.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I don't really think it matters. I was pretty good at skipping and jumping rope and still got knocked out in the 2nd. I'd focus most of my effort into punch avoidance.

Heh... I think that's the plan.

MTA: Maybe your opponent was just a better rope-jumper...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Menace to Sobriety

Heh... I think that's the plan.

MTA: Maybe your opponent was just a better rope-jumper...

Actually he was the former Golden Gloves champ of NY, a subtle fact they failed to tell me before they convinced me to box him, but he may have been a better rope jumper as well.