0 "Rest" Days? (Read 944 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does anyone not take rest days on a regular basis--particularly if you cross-train? I'm seriously considering a workout plan come warmer, Spring weather that will include 5 days of running with 2 days of weight training--and rare "rest" days. I don't think I would ever run 7 days/week...could moderate strength training days qualify as "rest" days? Is this a wise or unwise approach? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

In the past, I have done activity on every day. The trick is to watch intensity, and remember that a day is 24 hours. If you do something at 0700 on Saturday, and then 1700 Sunday, that's a day and a half, technically. Your plan sounds perfectly fine.
        Does anyone not take rest days on a regular basis--particularly if you cross-train? I'm seriously considering a workout plan come warmer, Spring weather that will include 5 days of running with 2 days of weight training--and rare "rest" days. I don't think I would ever run 7 days/week...could moderate strength training days qualify as "rest" days? Is this a wise or unwise approach? k
        ME ME ME ME lol. I don't know about you rs kirsten but in my house mom's never get rests lol. I run 5 days a week and w/o 4 times a week. Even when I was running 4 days a week there never was a day that I either didn't run or W/O. I think it totally depends on each individual.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yay! I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking my plan sounds do-able and safe. I was figuring I would do something like 1 short/easy run, 1-2 days of speedwork/hills, 1 long run, 1-2 medium/easy runs, so that easy run would still be sort of a rest, anyhow. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I run every day unless life forces me to miss a day. One or two runs per week are just really easy jogs for recovery.

Runners run

dillydoodles

zoom-zoom, for me a rest day means a day that I don't run. I do some sort of physical activity every day of the week, for most weeks anyway. Right now I run 4 times/week (that may change to 5 when this brutal winter ends) and I strength train 2 times/week, but on my 'rest day' I usually do some type of XT exercise (cardio/resistance/flexibility). Mind you, I'm not training for a marathon (my 'long run' is 7 miles), so I probably don't need as much rest from my running workouts as a more serious athlete does, LOL! I think your plan sounds fine. You'll know if you're getting tired and you can take a real 'rest day' when you need one.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think your plan sounds fine. You'll know if you're getting tired and you can take a real 'rest day' when you need one.
                That's kind of what I'm thinking, too. And I'm sure there will be events and weather and such that will force rest days upon me, anyhow. Right now I'm thinking I'd like to be running 30-35 miles/week most of those weeks, so not super high miles by any stretch of the imagination. k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

Right now I'm thinking I'd like to be running 30-35 miles/week most of those weeks, so not super high miles by any stretch of the imagination. k
                  30 - 35 is super high mileage for me Smile Your plan sounds like a good one..like Niagara-runner said, your body will let you know when you need a total rest. Then again your mind might try to trick your body to ignore over-training symptoms (that mind...too smart for its own good), so if you start putting the remote in the freezer, your checks in your son's lunches etc, its time to back-off. I've just switched to a 6 days a week running with 3 hard-ish workouts and 3 easy runs in between just because running is the easiest, most bang for the buck exercise that i enjoy (besides surfing, but its flat right now). 1 day for rest/cross-training/weights and try to fit in some more weight sessions on my easy days when the time is available.
                  Chris UK

As Scout7 has said intensity of effort seems to be the key. And listening to your body. After running for close on 10 months now I am finding that I can run every day at my low intensity 70% HR for 7-8 miles very comfortably. However after my last long run (which currently stands at 12.5 miles) I felt OK to go out next day but on getting out there I realised my legs were more tired than I had thought. I took the next day off to recover and all was OK again. The ground that I run on is quite muddy/heavy at the moment so that might explain it. At the moment I am planning to run 6 days @ 7-8 miles then day 7 will be a long-run after which I will take a day off (these paper plans are easier said than done when you work shifts as I do). However, all being well this week should be my first 50 mile week - YIPPEE!! Soon I will introduce a faster workout day in the middle (maybe 80% HR) and then I will have to see if I require a break or recovery run after that. Maybe I will be stronger by then and not need it - I will just have to see and obey my body. This plan seems to be right for me at this stage in my development. We are all different (and at different stages in our running) and so what works for me is not necessarily going to work for anyone else so a little experimentation is required to hit that sweet spot between training, improving and still enjoying. I'm still learning.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Rest days are for ninnies. I take rest days, 1-2 per week, completely off. I, therefore, am a ninny.

You'll ruin your knees!

Rest days are for ninnies.
                        That's why I take rest weeks! Sometimes, even rest months! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Rest days are for ninnies. I take rest days, 1-2 per week, completely off. I, therefore, am a ninny.
                          Get out and run. excuses are for ninnies. Evil grin
                          I'm sensing a trend... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

va

In his book for older runners "Running Unti You're 100", Galloway uses the phrase: "Stress + Rest = Improvement". I think this probably makes sense for runners of all ages, where the "Rest" part depends on the individual, and how fast you recover. Also, from George Sheehan's web site: "Keep a record of your morning pulse. Lie in bed for a few minutes after you awaken and then take your pulse. As your training progresses, it will gradually become slower and after three months or so plateau out. From then on, if you awaken and find a rate of 10 or more beats higher, you have not recovered from your previous day's runs, races or stresses. Take the day or more off until the pulse returns to normal."
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What I wonder is if my body will think that weight workouts are a "rest" from running, since they are such different types of exercise.

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

What I wonder is if my body will think that weight workouts are a "rest" from running, since they are such different types of exercise.
                                So long as you're not trying to do a whole lot of leg work after a hard or intense run, you should be fine. Otherwise, how would a triathlete possibly get all the training in necessary to complete a 2 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride, and a full marathon?