New Here..Question about running paired with weight training (Read 408 times)

Kassiebby1124

I've been stalled out at 194lbs for a the longest time but since strength training, I've lose plenty of inches. I've registered for a 5K in September and obviously I have to start running more. If I pair my 5K training with weights and a clean diet (I eat at -20% TDEE so I eat around 1700+) will I see more fat melt? I've kinda given up on the scale to be honest. It discourages me and I don't want to be bothered with it. I'm more focused on the composition of my body and how it is changing. I lift 3-4x a week and I'm going to be training on my off days. Do you think doing this will provide nice results? (:

TJoseph

You will have to see what works for you.  For me, my running doesn't really improve unless I am running more than three times a week.

BeeRunB

The tape measure is the truth-teller. Waist and hips.  As far as weight-loss results go, you should lose body fat if you keep at it. Avoid over-training. Listen to your body as you go. Since you're doing so much anaerobic exercise, it might be a good idea to keep most of your running at an easy aerobic effort. Do some research on aerobic/anaerobic training, how to monitor aerobic progress (MAF test or an aerobic run that you do the same every time is good for that--you should be getting faster at the same aerobic heart rate), and building an aerobic base. Arthur Lydiard, Jack Daniels,  Pete Pfitzinger, Jeff Galloway, and Phil Maffetone are all worth reading. Good luck! Cool

Kassiebby1124

Thanks so much (: I will be running Tues/Thurs/Sat, lifting Mon/Wed/Fri and resting on Sundays.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Don't add too much at once, but consider doing a short recovery run on your weight training days.  I wouldn't add that in until you can comfortably complete the weekly plan you layed out, but I would add the short recovery runs before I would add more daily mileage on running days.

**Ask me about streaking**

Kassiebby1124

Don't add too much at once, but consider doing a short recovery run on your weight training days.  I wouldn't add that in until you can comfortably complete the weekly plan you layed out, but I would add the short recovery runs before I would add more daily mileage on running days.

I've been following the weight training plan for about 2 months now. Someone told me that running after weight lifting is bad for muscle mass?

Not dead. Yet.

I second the "don't add too much too quick" comment.  I tried to add weight training to my schedule and ended up burning myself out quickly.  The running by itself was fine.  The weight lifting by itself was fine.  But when I tried to do them at the same time, at probably too high an intensity, my body rejected the idea and my motivation quickly fizzled out.  I think you need to choose one as a focus, and then use the other just to supplement.

When I try again, I think I will keep the weight workouts much easier, and maybe only do them on off days.  No more 8 mile runs and 2 hour weight workouts in the same day!

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I've been following the weight training plan for about 2 months now. Someone told me that running after weight lifting is bad for muscle mass?

Is your goal to gain muscle mass?  Are you a power lifter?  Generally, building large muscles and improving as a runner work against each other to some degree.  Others are more knowledgeable than I in that regard.

If you are doing the weights for general strength, weight loss, and toning I don't think there is anything wrong with running after weight lifting.

**Ask me about streaking**

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I lift heavy every 4-5 days.

I run 4 days a week.

I don't do them on the same day.

With weightlifting all that matters is adding weight or reps.

It is hard to do both well,

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Feeling the growl again

If you want to maximize muscle mass, running will run counter to that.  But most of us are not power lifters concerned with max size.  For most of us, you can do a reasonable amount of lifting and still develop as a runner.  You can even get a lot stronger and certainly put on some muscle mass.

When I lifted a lot, I lifted 4X/week and did not do legs; I was trying to maximize running.  Some runners do leg lifting as well, given what I was doing and my personal recovery needs the two did not mix.  But I progressed well as a runner and took my bench from 165 to 225 while dropping from 155 to 145lbs.  Not strong by serious lifter standards but pretty decent for a runner and all-around lifestyle strength.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Marylander

The only strength training exercise that I really felt conflicted a bunch with running was squats. Deadlifts work ok for me when paired with running. I'm coming at this from the opposite side of most here as I was a competitive powerlifter previously (where I was actually concerned with not going beyond the 181.5 lb weight class, definitely not interested in max size... Wink ). You've got to balance everything you do (work, family, running, lifting, diet) since stress comes from all these sources and more. If running is the top priority (at least in terms of exercise) you may need to back off the volume and/or intensity of lifting to allow more recovery for running. You can always cycle periods with a greater focus on running for a time (3-6 months or whatever) and lifting for a time. Just don't do what I did and quit one altogether. I'm just back getting back to running and, at my current age (young that I may be Wink ), getting back just gets harder and harder.

kitt-cat

Agree with KirkRoy. Squats + running is a difficult combination to have, and while training for any kind of race, I usually have to cut the squats out entirely in order to get much out of my running days. I've found upper body workouts (currently on a 2-day split, trying to work it into a single full-day upper body workout) combine nicely with any running program, with the workouts anchored around bench press and pull-ups.

As for what would be best to promote fat loss, strength training is an efficient fat loss strategy. A combined program will also facilitate fat loss vs a cardio only or strength only program, and provides other benefits, but also has the drawbacks of slowing improvement in either activity vs a dedicated routine. In other words, if you lift and run, you may see your running not improve as quickly as if you had a running only program.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Squats for runners.  Seems to have worked out for her Smile

steph  

Marylander

I think it's a matter of focus and how you approach the squats. If I do them focused on strength (strength meaning what I can lift for 1 to 10 reps) it makes my legs feel stale for running and vice versa. I have never tried bodyweight squats for high reps. I did do a brief period of 20 rep squats although, even there, it was closer to an exercise for strength rather than endurance (and it is crazy brutal Wink ).

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Kirkroy are you still lifting heavy now.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes