X-HS Distance Runner... now I am old, fat, and trying to get back in it... (Read 899 times)

I have to say, I have ALWAYs loved running. As a child I watched my brother, who was 13 yrs my elder, run every chance I got. Some of my proudest accomplishments were beating his benchmarks. I broke the 5:00 minute mile when I was 15. I averaged about 4:40/mile until I was about 22 (4:27 personal best). I could run forever and fast without much, if any, training. Now...I am 35...195 lbs (which is about 40 lbs overweight for my height)...and just started running again. First off, I love it!!! My legs are numb until about 10am, but after that I feel absolutely great. But I have these issues. 1) My wind is there...I never lose my breath, but my legs get tired. How do I get the legs back quicker, and make em have more endurance? 2) I remember the glory days...I run a little under a 12 minute mile pace, but I felt ok one day after three miles and pushed myself the last mile, I ran 10:30 4th mile (I was done after that though)...Should I even worry about pace and concentrate on extending the distance. If so, how much time should I try to cut per workout per week? 3) I am at 4 miles a day, at least 5 days a week...there is a Half-Marathon in Dec...is this an unrealistic goal to shoot for. 4) OK, I hate bringing it up, but it will stop a workout cold if it is an issue. I'm fatter than I used to be, and upper-inner thighs rub together...How do I prevent the heat rash that goes along with that, and how do I treat it if it occurs to get going again? Glad to be running again.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

The voice of mile 18

welcome back I was a XC runner in HS then discovered beer and redheads in college then refound running in my late 20's. still nowhere near as fast as I used to be but it's nice to know I could make JV squad if I had to. 1) long runs at a pace you can hold a conversation at if you can't talk you're running too hard. 2) my .02 build a base of endurance then add on the speed don't worry about time yet 3) I am conservative and think that may be pushing it. I would suggest following a training plan if you do choose to go w/ it like the generic free ones at halhigdon.com 4) lube all sensitive parts w/ vaseline before a run it prevents chaffing and blisters. welcome back, have fun and good luck!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Marquess of Utopia

Welcome back! I was a XC runner in College then I discovered late night parties and women. I say I "retired" from running for 4 and a half years. Coming back feels like a fresh start! I don't know why I ever stopped? Good luck!!

1) My wind is there...I never lose my breath, but my legs get tired. How do I get the legs back quicker, and make em have more endurance? 2) I remember the glory days...I run a little under a 12 minute mile pace, but I felt ok one day after three miles and pushed myself the last mile, I ran 10:30 4th mile (I was done after that though)...Should I even worry about pace and concentrate on extending the distance. If so, how much time should I try to cut per workout per week? 3) I am at 4 miles a day, at least 5 days a week...there is a Half-Marathon in Dec...is this an unrealistic goal to shoot for. 4) OK, I hate bringing it up, but it will stop a workout cold if it is an issue. I'm fatter than I used to be, and upper-inner thighs rub together...How do I prevent the heat rash that goes along with that, and how do I treat it if it occurs to get going again? .
          Welcome back! 1. Fastest way to fast legs are intervals, but you probably want a nice base first. I would try to increase your mileage a little a time for 3 weeks at a time, and then cut back for a week, then start building again from there. If you feel really good on a day, then mix in some 30 second pickups in the middle of your run. Take one day a week (like Sunday) for your long run, and try to run at least a couple of miles farther than you do on your other runs. 2. I wouldn't worry about pace right now and just build your base up. Your pace will come down as you get in shape, and once you have a base then you can add some workouts geared towards bringing the pace down even more. 3. I don't think that it's an unrealistic goal to run 13 miles in December, but that could be pushing your luck. You'll need to bring your weekly mileage up pretty fast, especially since you haven't had a base for 15 years or so that you can draw on. If you decide to run it, then I recommend not aiming at running a fast time but just aim for running. You can then run a PR in the spring when you do a different one. Also, if you feel an injury start coming on, then you'll need to back off and seriously consider skipping the race. 4. There are a couple of solutions. Tights are one method, and some kind of lubricant such as vaseline is the other. Some people swear by bodyglide, but I've never tried it and have no opinion.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Congrats on getting started. I think you're going to be successful, because you already love running. That's really the key -- nobody can stick with a program they hate forever. Mileage is much more important than pace for you. Just get out and run consistently. If a little speed keeps you motivated, do it, but make sure it's a small fraction of your total running. The bulk should be an easy pace. And easy means really easy, such that you can do it day after day and not get worn out or sore. If you're really out of shape, you might not have an easy running pace at all yet. A mix of running and walking might allow you to do more mileage safely. And mileage is key. The number one mistake you can make is to get impatient and push your body too hard too soon. Don't worry about getting your legs back "quicker". There's no magic shortcut. Life is not a sprint! You can keep getting faster for years, as long as you stay healthy and keep running. If you haven't read this already, check it out (it's been posted before here): http://home.hia.no/~stephens/torart.htm I really think the balance between motivation and patience is the most challenging thing about running. One extreme is a couch potato. But the other is a discouraged, injured ex-runner. There's actually a pretty wide range of safety in the middle, but it takes a certain level of emotional and intellectual skill to stay within it. I'm still learning.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              I'll have to raid my boys old baby drawer and steal all the Vaseline Also did a search for races in my area Nov 24 a 10K...maybe...I am running 4 miles a day right now Nov 10 a 5k ... a good start...ALso has a 1k for kids. My 6 yr old (1st grader) ran a half mile for PE...they had all the 1st-3rd graders running. He came in second about 5 second behind a 3rd grader...and beat everyone in his class by at least 30 secs...This might be something he could do, just for fun.
              2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
                Ed, I am trying my best to run longer...and not worry about pace. I will say that is hard to do, because training to cut time is all I ever knew when I ran before. Now it's about training to cut weight and build endurance. The 5k (Nov.10) I can definitely do, as long as view it as just another chance to get out and run, just with more people and a different course. I will have to guard closely that thing that tells me to chase the guy in front of me. The 10K (Nov.24) is a possibility, but that is considering how I'm doing. The Half Marathon (in Dec) - I honestly was going to just run comfortably for a few months and see where I was Thanks
                  Hey Ben, been there done that, acutally doing that. Didn't run in high school but, did a few marathons in my 20's & took a couple of decades off. Got fat. Take your time. Bodyglide is a good product to prevent chafing too. Work on consistency in your training & the mileage & speed should take care of itself. Are you doing anything else about your weight? I've discovered simply exercising isn't enough to take off the pounds. My health insurance covers the expense of Weight Watchers but, there's lots of other sane approaches to weight loss out there. Be patient. I assume you didn't become overweight overnight. It'll take time to take it off.
                    Welcome, and congratulations on getting back into it! First, the important stuff - Vaseline works really well on any area that tends to rub or chafe. Some swear by BodyGlide, but I've never tried it (Vaseline works, and it's cheap). If you're really out of shape, you might not have an easy running pace at all yet. A mix of running and walking might allow you to do more mileage safely. And mileage is key. Ed4 makes a good point here. You may want to visit Jeff Galloway's site, www.runinjuryfree.com to look at his prgorams that incorporate running with brief walk intervals. At any rate, welcome and keep us posted on your progress!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright