Place to get last year's models? (Read 2177 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Does anyone know a good running shoe site that specializes in (or just happens to have a lot of) last year's shoe models?

I want to pick up another pair of the Saucony Kinvara in red and white, not the new colors.   

I recently bought a new cycling helmet for my wife, it was normally $199 but I got it for $79 because it was last year's design.  The only change (I called and asked) was the color scheme.  So, that got me thinking about shoes too, since I sometimes see last year's shoes on sale in running stores, and they're always marked down.

So, really it's about price AND the fact that I like last year's kinvara colors better Wink

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

This is a great question, and I'm looking forward to the replies (apart from the obvious sales as soon as a new model is released).  I think the trend of releasing a new model of every shoe, every year is absurd and annoying.  I think someone said in the Mizuno thread, "why do we need 16 versions of anything?", which pretty much sums up my view.  The "improvements" on most of these shoes are miniscule (and often decrements); why not just keep making the old models that sell well and that people are happy with?  Are the shoe companies really making that much profit by continuously eclipsing all of their popular models with new ones?  Seems like a risky business model.  If people are happy with a shoe, why not just keep the price point high and keep selling it for a while? 

There is probably a rational answer for this... that's why I'm not in business, I guess.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

protoplasm72

I just google the exact shoe and see what's available.  I don't think any store focuses on selling closeout shoes.  Lots of stores have closeouts but finding the size you want can be tough if you have a common foot size.  My search turned up that shoe at foot locker for $60.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Funny you ask.  I posted earlier last week about how I'm not happy that Mizuno changed the Riders and they don't fit good on me anymore.  I've been doing searching all morning trying to find last years Riders in my size and width (I'm wide).  I came across zbsports.com that has them at a little discount.  Not a huge discount, but better than nothing.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Are the shoe companies really making that much profit by continuously eclipsing all of their popular models with new ones?  Seems like a risky business model.  If people are happy with a shoe, why not just keep the price point high and keep selling it for a while? 

There is probably a rational answer for this... that's why I'm not in business, I guess.

You know, I was listening to NPR (maybe car talk, I forget) a week or so ago and they had a feature on car companies and said that "back in the day" companies like Ford and so on actually released "updated" versions of their models each year specifically because smaller companies could not compete with their "updates" and went out of business.  They listed several companies that were forced out because of this.  Even though most updates were minor tweaks, the consumer thought it must be a much better model than the last year's model.

I wonder if shoe companies did this years back, and now are forced to keep doing it to maintain the appearance of innovation.  

16 models of a shoe?! I agree, that's crazy.   I'm sure shoe tech changes so drastically each year to account for the need for these updates Shocked

As to whether or not it is a risky model, well, it seems to work as they make money hand over foot (no pun intended).

I do remember in high school XC (a long time ago) I HAD to have the updated version of the best shoe each year (which, btw was the Nike 180, which I'd probably never run in these days!).  But really, I bet if we polled people on this site or any running site (maybe not HS kids, ha!) we'd all agree we don't care about the most recent color, we just want a good fit at a reasonable price.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

I am a Viking!

Sometimes not finding last years model is a blessing in disguise. I bought ASICS Gel-Fortitude3's for a year and a half because they were the best fitting shoe for me. Then they stopped making them and came out with ASICS Gel-Fortitude4. When I asked the salesperson at a reputable running shoe store what the difference was, they told me there the same just new colors. Well needless to say after about a month using the 4's I was developing ankle and knee issues I had never had. I went online to find the 3's but had no luck. I then did some research and ended up buying a pair of Nike Shox Qualify + 2. They have been awesome (even better then the ASICS Gel-Fortitude3's), and have stuck with them.

There are Kinvara in red at clearance prices, depends on your size.  Eastbay has many interesting Kinvara colors...

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:144044/sku:3200723/saucony-progrid-kinvara-mens/?cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

Not as many color choices, but better size availability in red

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-SKINM1R.html

MTA:  click through the RunningWarehouse Facebook page, click promotions, and click Men's Sale Shoes to knock another 15% off.  Don't forget your free reusable shopping bag.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Don't forget your free reusable shopping bag.

Good point right there.  I have three at home.

sacutler

Not sure what size you are, I am a 10 (also have white/red) which is nearly impossible to find now in last years model. 

Endless.com is about the only place I have found that has anything larger than a 7 and the have white/red.

http://bit.ly/jIjWJL

Good luck...

Imminent Catastrophe

When I read that thread title I was thinking, Heidi Klum.  Never mind. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Not sure what size you are, I am a 10 (also have white/red) which is nearly impossible to find now in last years model. 

Endless.com is about the only place I have found that has anything larger than a 7 and the have white/red.

http://bit.ly/jIjWJL

Good luck...

At the moment, runningwarehouse.com still has all sizes of the white/red Kinvara available for $64.88, which comes down to $55.15 (includes free shipping) if you use the "mens sale shoes" click-through from the Running Warehouse promotions page on Facebook

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Kinvara 3's are on "liquidation" at runningwarehouse.com.

Use code FB15D and purchase them for $50.05

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka