Packing a Lunch (Read 1247 times)

Why is it sideways?

http://news.yahoo.com/kids-brown-bagging-bacteria-130605098.html

Huh. (My personal experience does not jibe with this article, and I am tempted to wonder about the vast history [and present] of humanity-without-refrigeration, but maybe I should just say thanks and reconsider my first remark.)

A Saucy Wench

BUT

In addition, refrigerators didn't help significantly in keeping foods at the proper temperatures. This may be because foods were left in insulated containers and placed in the refrigerators, allowing the container to actually insulate the food from the refrigerator.
      Besides. All our kids have weak immune systems from over protecting them from germies. Bah humbug

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Just for the love of god would you please stop nuking fish at work.  Thanks

lol.  Yes, fish, eggs, ...

A guy at work that sits near me has an egg sandwich every morning.  Damn him! 

At lunch, he gets fishy fish and eats at his desk.  Damn him!

It smells bad, and I don't know that he knows (except for the handful of times that I've told him).

Nice guy, but I hate his eating habits.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

"run" "2" "eat"

jeff -- in the pre-fridger history of the world, most people only lived to be 28-1/2. all that uncooled fish product killed off the caveman!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

BUT

Besides. All our kids have weak immune systems from over protecting them from germies. Bah humbug

Yeah, and anyway, apparently the study only checked temperatures, not bacteria count, and if they had, I bet they would not have differentiated the harmful bacteria.

"run" "2" "eat"

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why does anyone have to put anything in the fridge? No lunch is going to go bad in the four hours or so it will sit there at room temperature.

I do it because I like the insulated lunch box to feel cold.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Why does anyone have to put anything in the fridge? No lunch is going to go bad in the four hours or so it will sit there at room temperature.

I hate fridges at work.

I can't stand the dang "we're going to clean the fridge at 4pm Friday" emails.

I can't stand the soap opera's that play on the TV within the lunch room.

I can't stand socializing with the people that eat in the lunch room or watch TV in the lunch room.

I don't like to walk the extra 100 feet to put my lunch in the lunch room fridge....

I'd rather eat room temperature food because I can't stand the lunch room.

Therefore, I go to the gym as much as I can.  No socializing at work.  No fast food.  No restaurants.  My $32 / month is the best option I have.

(And I agree with Jeff.  I'd rather have warm Yogurt during my 1st lunch than to have refridgerated food.)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For the 4-5 hours from home to lunch/belly, it is very unlikely that you will get any real pathogen growth.

Period.

The real risk comes when you bring something to work, let it sit on your desk for hours, decide not to eat it that day, stick it in the fridge, then repeat a few times.

Yahoo news can suck my can o Spam. "Unsafe temperature" is an invention of the man.  "Unsafe temperature" ≠ disease-laden.

Feeling the growl again

"The USDA recommends that cold food be kept at less than 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and that no food should be at room temperature for more than two hours."

I would love to see the "science" on this one.  At a toasty 98.6 degrees Farenheit, bacteria can replicate at a maximal rate of approximately once every 20 minutes.  So one bacteria could turn into 128 in 2 hours.  The drop-off rate is not linear so at room temp, the replication rate is only a fraction of that.

I sometimes eat leftovers from dinner that were not refrigerated until the following morning. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Lazy idiot

I sometimes eat leftovers from dinner that were not refrigerated until the following morning. 

Pizza.  Often pizza with meat (or "meat") on it.  Yes.

Tick tock

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I grew up in Phoenix.  Hot.  The brown bag lunches were kept on the shelf at the back of the class room.

No one ever keeled over.

steph  

"run" "2" "eat"

i am with KerCanDo70, which is whyfor i have my own personal fridger.

Feeling the growl again

Pizza.  Often pizza with meat (or "meat") on it.  Yes.

Pizza does not require refrigeration.  EVER.  Didn't you learn ANYTHING in college???

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

Thanks again for all the great responses!  Reading through them, I think I'll try monotony (which is what's worked for me in the past - I threw the same things in my lunch bag every day and went out the door) with the leftovers idea for some culinary excitement.  I usually don't make extras at dinner because I find I usually don't eat the leftovers.  If I don't eat them the next day I end up playing the "is this food still good?" game until it's a science experiment.  But, that's probably a reflection of my lackluster cooking skills.