The Walking Dead on AMC (Read 3197 times)

Durrr

Maybe it's implied that the two walkers who attacked Daryl in the creek under that cliff where he found Sophia's doll are the same two who "turned" her. But there will certainly have to be some explaining why Herschel neglected to mention that they recently added a young girl Walker to the barn ward (when they all knew the group was searching for a lost young girl in the area).

With the way the episode ended, I can see the group now having more sympathy for Herschel --- and Herschel now having more understanding of the real Walker situation. Here the group was gunning down the Walkers with machine-like efficiency as they emerged from the barn, totally callous to the anguish it was causing Herschel and his family. Then Sophia-Walker, one of their own, steps out, giving them a devastating reminder that Walkers were once people. In this case, someone in the group's daughter. And of course Rick was the only one who could pull the trigger in this toughest of situations (though would he be able to put a Carl-Walker out of its misery?).

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe it's implied that the two walkers who attacked Daryl in the creek under that cliff where he found Sophia's doll are the same two who "turned" her. But there will certainly have to be some explaining why Herschel neglected to mention that they recently added a young girl Walker to the barn ward (when they all knew the group was searching for a lost young girl in the area).

With the way the episode ended, I can see the group now having more sympathy for Herschel --- and Herschel now having more understanding of the real Walker situation. Here the group was gunning down the Walkers with machine-like efficiency as they emerged from the barn, totally callous to the anguish it was causing Herschel and his family. Then Sophia-Walker, one of their own, steps out, giving them a devastating reminder that Walkers were once people. In this case, someone in the group's daughter. And of course Rick was the only one who could pull the trigger in this toughest of situations (though would he be able to put a Carl-Walker out of its misery?).

Ditto all of that.  I think Herschel is one sick f*ck, though.  And Maggie had to have known about the little girl in the barn.  What would be their reason for not saying anything--to "save" Sophia from a bullet to the cranium...?  That's the only rationale that makes any sense.  It put the searchers at risk, but more than that it tortured her mother.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BWE's recap is up.  One of the commenters makes a good point.  It was Otis who had rounded-up all of the walkers in the barn.  So perhaps Herschel didn't know about zombie Sophia.  Or maybe he did.  Either scenario is plausible.

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

BWE's recap is up.  One of the commenters makes a good point.  It was Otis who had rounded-up all of the walkers in the barn.  So perhaps Herschel didn't know about zombie Sophia.  Or maybe he did.  Either scenario is plausible.

The barn walkers were fed by others in the clan. I have to believe that they would notice new arrivals.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The barn walkers were fed by others in the clan. I have to believe that they would notice new arrivals.

Yeah, something doesn't add up...unless she somehow was out of sight most of the time (but that doesn't really seem all that likely).  She didn't seem to be all that expeditious in her exiting of the barn.

As slow a start as season 2 has had, the last couple of episodes have really piqued my interest.

~ Sarah Kay

I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. There are many areas of that barn that were pitch-black even from the ledge view point. No reason to assume they noticed. Otis for sure knew, as the show eluded that those two walkers they captured this episode were the freshest catch since Otis' demise. 

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.
              Matthew Sherman

Great show (as is Hell on Wheels, by the way). I just have one question, am I the only one that thinks Herschel is a little to cavalier in his expectations for the group to leave the farm? What I mean by that is this; if Shane is pushing Rick to accept the new reality of their world and make the tough decisions wouldn't the killing of Herschel and whomever else is opposed to their staying (which H seems to be the only one) only be the next logical step? It's basically 4 unarmed people, with Maggie already acknowledging they should stay, against the well armed group. Shane alone could eliminate H and the others. Given his darker and darker character development it wouldn't be totally surprising if he did it autonomously. He would justify it as protecting "his" unborn child. Maybe it's too fatalistic and it would certainly seem to force the show into a corner as far as future plot development but with Shane it's certainly plausible.

2012Goals: Run 1500 miles  *   < 3:30 marathon  *  Complete first 70.3  

<20 5K

Scotch, Scotch, Scotch.....Down in my belly.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, that's quite the angle, though I don't think the rest of the group would be tolerant to Shane taking that step, even though I don't think anyone really likes Herschel, at this point.  But he did save Carl, so he's got that going for him...and maybe that's his only redeeming quality.  He has medical knowledge and ability.

~ Sarah Kay

Matthew Sherman

I can see it now, Shane does it, they flip out and banish him from the farm (he wanted to leave anyway).  It's not likely to happen as it doesn't leave a ton in the way of future plot options and more importantly you need Shane as Rick's polar opposite but it would be interesting. I would bet that they leave the farm and try for Fort Benning.   Show will get stale if it turns into "life on the farm".  The question is what makes them move, maybe a walker "herd" overruns the farm (like the one in the season premier overruns the farm).  Guess we won't know till February.

2012Goals: Run 1500 miles  *   < 3:30 marathon  *  Complete first 70.3  

<20 5K

Scotch, Scotch, Scotch.....Down in my belly.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's going to be very hard for me to not pick up the comics or read spoilers, even though I know the show doesn't follow the comics 100%.

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

One way or the other now I think they are going to force them off the farm - either Herschel makes them leave (though how I dont know since they have all the guns), or a walker invasion. 

I did think it was great how Rick stepped up to shoot Sofia and how Shane just froze.  Shane is starting to get on my nerves lately - I'm thinking he has gone too far to the dark side.  I am starting to like Maggie, who seems to udnerstand the dangers of the walkers now that she has been attacked.

I think they could easily do away with Rick's wife though - she is useless and annoying.  And until last night I never really figured out how many people Herschel had with him in the house, there were a few there last night that I dont even remember seeing in earlier episodes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish Lori and Shane would just leave.  I hope the baby is obviously his.  Perhaps Rick won't be so understanding if the kid's not his.

I felt almost as bad for Carl as I did for Sophia's mom.  Poor kid.  Thought his dad was dead...then saw the only friend he has turned zombie and then shot by his dad.

~ Sarah Kay

RunsForCake

When I saw Sophia come out of the barn my first thought was maybe she found the barn when she was running and decided to hide inside not knowing what was in the barn until it was too late.  Undecided

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I saw Sophia come out of the barn my first thought was maybe she found the barn when she was running and decided to hide inside not knowing what was in the barn until it was too late.  Undecided

I wondered that, too.  She could have climbed into the loft like Glenn did, but maybe in the dark and without seeing what was below.

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

I love the show, but when I look at it more closely, it's pretty sexist, no? The women are crying victims mostly (not Andrea lately), Lori sleeps with whatever man is around to protect her, and the men get the guns (again, except for Andrea) and have more interesting personalities instead of sitting around cutting carrots. Plus, did anyone else find it disturbing that Shane tried to rape Lori in the CDC and now she's kind of let bygones be bygones?

Also, I found this the other day and it's an interesting read, and something I was noting while watching the episode:

Morning After Pill silliness

Again, I love the show, but it gets my women's studies brain a-goin'.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)