Getting Non-Running-Related Stink Out of Clothes (Read 97 times)

sugnim

I recently received a nice gift of new clothes for my 7 week old son from a friend.  They are new clothes, but the problem is that the friend who gave them to us smells very bad.  I don't exactly know what the smell is, but her house, her car, and her body all have this indescribable odor.  If you've ever purchased clothes from a thrift store, you might know what smell I'm talking about.  Only, her smell is stronger.  She said she had the clothes in a bag in her car for a few months before she gave them to me.

Here's what I've done so far: 2 washes with vinegar followed by a week of hanging outside on the line, followed by one more wash in vinegar.  The clothes still stink.  They are cute, and I'd love for my son to be able to wear them, but right now they really smell too awful.  Any ideas for getting stink out of clothes?  Thanks.

xhristopher

You could always put them with your running related clothes so running smell ends up masking the other smell.

Have you  tried oxyclean? It's powered by the air you breathe, activated by the water you and I drink.

I think if none of that helped, it's unlikely anything else will, but you could always try one of those anti-cat-pee-type cleaning agents. I figure if it can get rid of cat pee smell, it can get rid of anything...?

You could try Borax.  Also, soak them in a solution of vinegar and club soda, not just vinegar.   Soak in Nature's miracle (cat pee type enzymatic cleaner).

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

zonykel

I've left my running clothes soak overnight with water and Clorox for colors. It worked a little better than vinegar or baking soda.

You can also throw away those clothes, unless you really need them. Sounds ungrateful, considering they were a gift, but it would be worse if your child had to wear those stinky clothes.

I second Oxyclean (or any of the versions of this). My stinkiest running clothes respond well to it--I throw 3 scoops into the washer, dissolve it in hot water for a few seconds (it cakes up in cold water), switch over to cold water and add clothes as soon as water in washer is cool (can skip that if your clothes don't need to be washed in cold, obviously), and turn off washer once there's enough water to cover clothes. Soak for an hour or two, then put in detergent and wash as usual.

Worth a try, anyway.

sugnim

you could always try one of those anti-cat-pee-type cleaning agents. I figure if it can get rid of cat pee smell, it can get rid of anything...?

That is a brilliant suggestion!

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Another pet related solution would be the formula used for taking out skunk odor.

1. 1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (found in any drug store)
                  2. ¼ cup Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate)
                  3. 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap (like Dawn or Palmolive, but any similar dish soap will work)

I have soaked mildewed clothes in dilute hydrogen peroxide and it worked to get out the odor but it melted the decal on one of my shirts.

Leah, mother of dogs

ymmv

The best surprise solution I found for a stinky running shirt was a dip in the ocean wearing it. Nothing else I tried (oxyclean, vinegar) worked as well. Maybe all that salt kills off those bacteria dudes.

NHLA

vinegar, then clorox for colors. then sports detergent.

Try Myers lavender detergent.  You will love it for sheets.

Run thru the dryer after washing.