Philly Marathon thoughts? (Read 551 times)

Just wondering thoughts from you that have run Philly, as I contemplate a Fall 2012 marathon. Considering Wineglass, Philly, and Steamtown. Thanks in advance!
    seanster

ME

I think it depends on your preferences/experience.  I prefer relatively smaller marathons, but being in the Philly area I have run the full or the half each of the past few years.  It's a pretty good course that highlights different parts of the city.  Not a difficult course, but not flat (just enough to keep it interesting).  Normal pluses and minuses as far as organization of urban marathons go.  Wineglass and Steamtown are probably faster courses, but I know plenty of people with PRs @ Philly.  I like that its the weekend before I have Thanksgiving break too. 

Hope that helps.

§ SIGNATURE§

uncontrollable

I like the course.  I like the time of year/weather.  City is fun & reasonable flights & lodging prices.  Well organized - nice blend of city & parks.  It is crowded ... 1st mile somewhat congested.  Pacers available if that's your style.  It was my second time and I had a good race and a great weekend.  I would recommend it to anyone: newbie or serious about a PR - it suits both.  Good luck!

peace

BeeRunB

Enjoyed the race the two times I ran it. Worth a try. And Philly is worth a visit or two. Cool

gilbertlemieux

Not really a PR course; decently flat with the exception of two notable hills in miles 7-10.  Pretty course on the back end, good spectator support (much better than other "secondary" big city marathons like LA), not crowded if you're running decently fast.  But not a PR course.

Thanks for the responses, after a lot of contemplation I've decided to run Wineglass in Corning,NY.  It's close to home, I can even sleep (if you call the night before a marathon "sleep") in my own bed! It's also known as a PR course, which is what I'm afterSmile Happy Running!

BeeRunB

Thanks for the responses, after a lot of contemplation I've decided to run Wineglass in Corning,NY.  It's close to home, I can even sleep (if you call the night before a marathon "sleep") in my own bed! It's also known as a PR course, which is what I'm afterSmile Happy Running!

Good luck!

---Jimmy

I found the course quite fast and flat when I ran it in 2010.  The 2 friends I ran it with each ran 10+ minute marathon PRs there.  I liked the race and would definitely recommend it.