So how far is too far? (Read 1105 times)

Cut back weeks are definitely necessary when you are jumping 10-20% in your weekly mileage and/or long run distance from week to week. It probably isn't quite as big of a deal for Teresa given the half mile per week increase - she is giving herself plenty of time to adapt to the new distances. My general rule of thumb when agressively increasing mileage is to go back a week or two on my cutback weeks. So if I am moving up 12, 15, 18 for my long runs then I might go back to 12-15 miles for my cutback week and then the week after run 18-20.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

Blaine brings up a very good point: There are a lot of "rules" with running. "Cutback weeks", "10% increase", blah blah blah. Here's the thing about these rules. They are not rules. There are people who can jump 20%. There are people who don't need cutback weeks. All these "rules" do is cover up one the key points to running: Listening To Your Body. By stating that you should only increase by 10%, you're putting an artificial limit on your growth. You're saying that's all your body can handle. How do you know this, unless you've tried? What the rule is REALLY saying here is that you should listen to your body, and try not to increase mileage more than what it can handle. You learn this by adding mileage and monitoring the effects. Same goes for cutback weeks, or any other number of issues. Don't get wrapped up in various numbers. Learn what works for YOU.
        Don't get wrapped up in various numbers. Learn what works for YOU.
        Great replies from RTW and Scout, your mileage WILL vary. I still personally think adequate rest days and easy weeks are among the most neglected parts of many of the training plans I see being used by recreational runners. As Mr Miyagi said, "balance, must seek balance."

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

WOW! Thanks for all the info so far guys! This is the first I've really tried to 'structure' my weeks, so all this info is a great help. Thanks again, mike

~Mike

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I appreciate the input, too! Scout, thanks for your comments. I tend to be so "numbers" oriented in my job that I overdo the rules part. I DO know that I'm not naturally athletic, so increasing very slowly is the way that works for me. Geez, it took me over 6 months just to run 30 minutes straight!
              I like "rules" in running, but I don't call them "rules" I call them suggestions and they are very important for a new runner who doesn't have the experience to know their limitations. The reason you had such a hard time with your 10 mile run is because it was WAY too big a jump for your level of conditioning and you weren't prepared for it. Unless you are in marathon training, your long runs should be limited to around 30% of your total weekly mileage. Since you've been averaging around 14 miles a week for the last two months, that means your long run should have been around five or six miles, not ten. That ten mile run was a whopping 75% of your weekly mileage. No wonder it hurt. Looking at your log you are doing a great job of running consistently, keep it up and you'll become a life long runner. Tom
                Mike, Congrats on your long run. I don't think you are over done and you are doing fine. If you have to stop because something starts to hurt, then may be you have pushing it too hard. If you are sore, rest a day; if still sore rest another. Being 29 means youth is your advantage that means you are excused from rules. Wink You are doing great and keep it up!
                higa

I used to want to run a marathon. Work up to an iron man. I'm starting to aknowledge that those are just dreams, and the likelyhood of me actually doing it are pretty slim.
                  Why are these just dreams? Sure you might decide to focus on other things in your life but you only have to spend a bit of time on surfing RA to see that many loggers here know no limits when it comes to deciding on an event and going for it. Whatever your age, shape, gender or past sporting prowess, dreams are being converted to reality every day. You only have to stand at the finish line of a marathon or multi event to see that. Never say never..................