Running for sanity (Read 580 times)

I haven’t been posting and I haven’t been logging my runs lately but I am running more these days… I feel I have run to or I will go mad. I also found some time to post. My mother has Alzheimer’s but is still somehow functioning. Last winter we had serious talks about a nursing home since she has no one in Poland who could live with her and she does not want to move to the US with us. Not that we could honestly care for her in years to come. She decided to live by herself and with some help from the family managed to survive. She broke her leg a few weeks ago and that meant I had to go to help her. It’s been very, very difficult. Her mood swings are draining all my energies and she is still refusing to consider any outside help. I thought I was going to drop into serious depression. Then I made a resolution that no matter what happens in the house with her I have to make sure I take care of myself also. I started running more. Snow, mud, sleet, freezing temps or rain (we had it all here) – I went for a run. If I were a poet I would write an Ode to Running. Those daily workouts brought back smile to my face, made me feel that all will end well and that I was not loosing my sanity. I can’t leave the house for very long or mom will start walking on her broken leg without crutches. Her leg is healing very slowly. So my runs are short even those are heaven sent. Lesson learned, when things look really dark, go for a run. When it seems that the whole world has gone mad, go for a run. When you feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel, go for a run. Not that the light will appear, but the tunnel will look brighter. I have kept track of most of my runs and I already made myself a promise to spend some time to log them in when I come back home and see if there are any bunnies I can see on the horizon. Ewa
    I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Dog-Love

Welcome back...I was wondering where you went! the running will really help when times get crazy. Sorry about your mom and having to get her into a better situation. It's too bad she can't come to the great CA climate and be closer to you and your family.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        I have been wondering where you have been as well. Good luck with your Mom, and stay strong.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

va

Ewa, good to hear from you again and good to know that you're still running and getting comfort from it. Sorry to hear about the troubles your Mom is having. Hang in there and remember you're doing a good thing.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Running is really therapeutic. I know it has made life a little brighter for my MIL as she mourns the death of my FIL. She says it's the one time she doesn't sit with her thoughts and her mind is able to wander to other things. I hope your mom's leg heals well and that you see that bunny! I hope the weather improves soon for you, too. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lesson learned, when things look really dark, go for a run. When it seems that the whole world has gone mad, go for a run. When you feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel, go for a run. Not that the light will appear, but the tunnel will look brighter. Ewa
              Ewa, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I know how frustrating and stressful it is. My mom died of cancer this past December. The last 2 years have been a complete blur. I miss my mom beyond words and I tell my mother-in-law that running is definately the one thing (besides family) keeping me sane too!! Hang in there and stay strong. xo Joni
              mikeymike

Yes, running can be great therapy. Best wishes, Ewa.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My mom died of cancer this past December.
                  Joni, I didn't know this...I am so sorry. If you ever want to talk to my DH about losing a parent to cancer, I'm sure he'd welcome it. I imagine your mom was relatively young, too. My FIL was only 60. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay